Have you ever been punished for stimming?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Desolation_boi
Raven
Raven

13 Mar 2008, 4:13 pm

Not sure if i ever really got punished for stimming. But definatly for things that I couldn't control, like speaking with a loud voice (I would forget all the time) or not knowing how to whisper (I'm still terrible at it) or my very poor handwriting (dysgraphia anyone?).

Also for things that I did without meaning to or that I really loved that was strange. I would crawl on the floor all of the time, sometimes acting like a dog or cat and my parents would go ballistic, especially if there was other family or company around. Or for liking to play with strange things, or not wanting to through away a random item (string, a bottle cap, etc.)

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2008, 4:42 pm

Liverbird wrote:
I don't remember ever being punished for stimming, but I'm not much of a stimmer. I do know that my son gets punished for stimming at his dad's house. It's sad. He even testified in court that he was punished for stimming and that he couldn't help stimming. It was completely involuntary and he was wearing himself out trying not to stim all day.

Does getting into trouble for other people stealing your stim and doing it count? (I didn't realize this was even a stim until someone else posted that it was theirs).

I eat sunflower seeds. Tons of them. I have singlehandedly kept Planters in business for the last 30 years! Ok, I exaggerate, but I eat a lot of sunflower seeds.

I got really good at eating them in such a way that I could eat them during class and no problems, because I was really quiet about it. Until grade eleven. Suddenly other kids in school started eating them and rather than being discreet and throwing out the shells, they are dropping them all over the school. Needless to say, they made me stop eating my sunflower seeds. :(

I spent all of grade eleven pen chewing... yuck.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2008, 5:37 pm

Talking loud was a stim for me. :)

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 8:18 am

Desolation_boi wrote:
Not sure if i ever really got punished for stimming. But definatly for things that I couldn't control, like speaking with a loud voice (I would forget all the time) or not knowing how to whisper (I'm still terrible at it) or my very poor handwriting (dysgraphia anyone?).

Also for things that I did without meaning to or that I really loved that was strange. I would crawl on the floor all of the time, sometimes acting like a dog or cat and my parents would go ballistic, especially if there was other family or company around. Or for liking to play with strange things, or not wanting to through away a random item (string, a bottle cap, etc.)
i have been crawling on floor too about time when i was in kindergarden..for me it was play :P

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2008, 3:40 pm

When I'm not doing anything else, I'm pacing.
And I often get yelled at for pacing in the prescence of my parents.
I don't stomp, I don't pace in front of the televison, so what's the big deal?
Pacing is completely harmless, yet many people have a problem with it.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 3:43 pm

Once in elementary school a classmate of mine (who was a jerk anyway) said he hated me because my voice was too loud. Or maybe he said he didn't like me because my voice was too loud; not sure.

DJRnold
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Mar 2008, 4:10 pm

Here are my stims, though I'm sure I forgot a few:

Talking (does that count as a stim? I hope not), talking too loud, pacing/walking around in circles, singing, biting and chewing my nails, biting my cheeks, tapping, clicking and/or grinding my teeth (which sometimes triggers headaches), frequently adjusting my position (from sitting to leaning to leaning the other way to sitting to lying on my side), chewing pens, chewing my sleeves, zipping-up the zipper on my shirt with me teeth, feeling things (the desk, the book, the binder, etc.), touching my face, touching my hair, putting my head against my knees, putting my teeth against my knees (sometimes biting my knees), bending staples and paper-clips, popping bubble-wrap, doing something and then doing it again with the other hand (to make it even), switching hands when carrying something (to make it even), making verbal noises (click, clock, mpeh, mpah, etc.), 'swushing' my saliva, sitting the wrong way or lying on my side, pulling up my socks, stretching and 'clenching' muscles, moving my legs in and out (||, \/, ||, \/, etc.), tapping my feet, staring at the ground between my knees, looking at the people around me (making sure they're not looking at me), and (the most socially unacceptable habit [that I feel comfortable mentioning] which I only do in private) picking my nose.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 4:46 pm

When I was living with my parents, all the time...

Nico
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2008, 4:47 pm

I have never been punished for stimming, but people have called me names when I have started stimming in the past.