Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 5:11 pm

Newsweek: Autism back in the spotlight

Mysteries and Complications
Autism is everywhere—once again. Separating fact from fear as the courts and Hollywood wade in.

By Claudia Kalb | NEWSWEEK

You wonder what he thinks. The little boy who flaps his arms and bangs his head. Who bristles at the touch of wool and covers his ears when balloons go "pop!" The boy who doesn't respond to his name and will never say "I love you." What does he think of the world outside? The busy world of childhood vaccines, celebrity fund-raising and genetic research. The cauldron of medicine, media, politics and the law. What does he think of autism?

For that matter, what are we to think? Passions about autism are running higher than ever, and for good reason. Autism spectrum disorders affect one in 150 kids from all walks of life, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a tenfold jump in just the past decade. As the numbers grow, public awareness increases and the fervor surrounding each new development intensifies.

Earlier this month, after the federal government said vaccines aggravated an underlying disorder that led to autism-like symptoms in 9-year-old Hannah Poling, the longstanding controversy over the role of childhood vaccines flared anew on network newscasts, the Internet and talk radio. The culture of autism is hitting prime time, too. Next week HBO will air "Autism: The Musical," a documentary about five children with autism who perform in their own show. A week later, Sundance Channel will broadcast "Autism Every Day," a film laying out the challenges faced by families. April 2 marks the first World Autism Awareness Day, a global effort voted into existence by the U.N. General Assembly. Less than two weeks after that, Jon Stewart will host an autism fund-raiser at New York's Beacon Theater, to be aired live on Comedy Central. Among the glittery lineup: Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert and Conan O'Brien.

more...

- Emerson

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2008, 5:36 pm

Thanks for posting link to article-I can't keep up with what's in magazines, so I appreciate getting news of news on WP.
Haven't finished reading the article-or the long list of comments-but anyway, I like to know what's being said about "us".

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2008, 3:41 pm

Mr. Mark, thanks for the info. We will definately watch "Autism The Musical" and "Autism Is A World." They will be a family event.

Autism The Musical - Tuesday, March 25th on HBO

Autism Every Day - Wednesday, April 2nd on Sundance Channel

There will be other programs on during the month. It's going to be a great month for Autism Awarness.

Autism Heroes - Saturday, April 26th on ABC

CNN will be doing a special night of Autism on April 2nd

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2008, 5:13 pm

Isn't Autism Every Day the video from Autism Speaks that has caused so much outrage?

I've read the rest of the article, the part that you must click "more" to get. It's a solid portrayal of the diversity of opinion that I've run across about the condition. I can't believe that 58% of people think vaccines and autism are connected, however. I have always thought of that as a rouge opinion - apparently not. Seems I am more the rogue. Who knew.