Page 1 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2008, 12:59 pm

I learned how to drive when back in high school (around 2000), although since my parents didn't get me a car (I'm the only one in my family who doesn't have one, in fact, and I really can't afford one with my Social Security, which I'm using for college), my skills pretty much went to waste, and I certainly wouldn't be able to drive if given the chance or car. I really want to re-learn how to drive and get a car since I will need one if I ever look for a job, and can't rely on public transportation/my family's transportation forever, although I am sort of concerned that I'd get into accidents often, get tickets often, and maybe be declared mentally unfit to drive. Do any of you here drive, and/or have similar concerns about driving if you don't?

Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:07 pm

i drive and have a car

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 1:57 pm

Quote:
I am sort of concerned that I'd get into accidents often, get tickets often, and maybe be declared mentally unfit to drive. Do any of you here drive, and/or have similar concerns about driving if you don't?

I don't drive, for the reasons above...also I am terrified...behind the wheel, i go into complete sensory overload...there are too many things to pay attention to at once...
I did try to get a liscense...several people have tried to teach me over the years...I took adult drivers ed when I was in my early 20's..all to no avail....my drivers ed teacher, who had bragged to the class that she could teach anyone to drive...said that I needed alot more practice...

I do know...from previous similar threads that most aspies and even some HFAs seem to not have trouble with driving.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 2:17 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UseZu49UoRE[/youtube]
I have been driving since I was 13, then got my license at 16, and
have been driving for over 30 years, I tend to zone out while I am
driving, I only see whats in front of me and whats in the mirrors, only
when something really annoying do I get distracted, such as country
music on the radio. See my video

Last edited by spudnik on 21 Mar 2008, 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:23 pm

I can not drive, but that's not because I'm an Aspie but because I am visually impaired.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 3:38 pm

I learnt to drive at 17 because I felt I should do and wanted to get it over and done with, but after thankfully passing my test (second time) I was still very unconfident and glad not to have to use it. Years have passed (I am now 30) and I have managed to avoid driving in all this time, so have completely forgotton how to do it anyway. Just hoping that I will never need to relearn.

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2008, 4:16 pm

I have been driving since age 16 and I am now 25. I drive about 400 miles every week because of commuting to work daily and I cruise around on the weekends.

I have never been in an accident or gotton a ticket.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Mar 2008, 6:32 pm

I have driven over 1 million miles over the past 25 years without any problems.I was a London motorcycle courier for 7 years,one of the most dangerous jobs on Earth.I was a was a van courier for 10 years after that.

AS4Life
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 11:38 pm

*raises hand* ooo me i drive i drive. :)

I think i only got into 1 major accident and that was because the other person ran a red light and side swiped me.
Only other time was when i drove home late one night, tired as all to hellz and blew all my tires when i touched the edge of the road. But other then that i've got a clean bill for driving... gotta remember to check the coolant from time to time though.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 2:39 am

Ive been driving for about 5 years now, got my license when I was 18, and actually held a job driving for a while(Which Is the job thus far that I've enjoyed the most as I delivered auto parts so I spent the majority of the day driving from place to place, alone, listening to loud music). Unfortunately I quit that job after a really bad week last year involving an accident and 2 tickets... So now I have totaled car that still runs but I don't drive it all that much anymore.

bigizz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2008, 10:22 am

I actually drive very well, if I may humbly say so. I was terrible when I started though. Real, real, real bad. But like most things I try I pick them up quickly, have a great attention for detail and become very good at them. I suspect that typical of AS.

RedTape0651
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Mar 2008, 10:31 am

I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I have a drivers license, but do not drive particularly well. I don't remember how to parallel park, and would not trust myself on crowded expressways.

I think it was Temple Grandin who said that she spent a year driving on country roads before tackling expressways and urban streets, in order for driving to become more automatic. That is probably the kind of practice that someone like us needs.

DukeGallison wrote:
I learned how to drive when back in high school (around 2000), although since my parents didn't get me a car (I'm the only one in my family who doesn't have one, in fact, and I really can't afford one with my Social Security, which I'm using for college), my skills pretty much went to waste, and I certainly wouldn't be able to drive if given the chance or car. I really want to re-learn how to drive and get a car since I will need one if I ever look for a job, and can't rely on public transportation/my family's transportation forever, although I am sort of concerned that I'd get into accidents often, get tickets often, and maybe be declared mentally unfit to drive. Do any of you here drive, and/or have similar concerns about driving if you don't?

gsilver
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 12:05 am

My parents didn't let me drive at all when I was growing up, or the entire time I lived with them (which was until I was nearly 25).

I didn't even try to get a driver's license until I was 26.

I'm 27 now, have a license, and drive a lot.

Learning to drive later in life can be difficult, but it's possible.

Alerion42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2008, 9:16 am

I didn't get my licence until I was eighteen, but I've been driving preaty much ever since. I've gone through many cars (I tend to loose cars to either accidents or to wear and tear) and my current car isn't in very good health. In almost 12 years of driving, I've had 6 cars. That's about on every 2 years. Each car had it's own problems, and each one has a story behind it.

car #1 Transmission failiar (about a year after it was stollen from me from someone that I trusted to eagerly)
car #2 Cracked engine Block (a while after I was rear ended by a muni bus in SF.)
car #3 Trasmission problem (could not go in reverse, that thing was interesting to drive)
car #4 Rear ended a truck which distroyed my radiator (I was paying attention to the light instead of the car in front of me.)
car #5 Hit on the pasenger side by someone running a red light (although, he had a passenger who was able to lie for him and tell the police it was me that ran the light. Actualy I'm glad I didn't have a passenger, he would have most likely been killed.)
car #6 there's probably something wrong with the ignition. It takes a while for it to start up but it still runs fine otherwise, so I'm hanging on to it for the time being. (on a side not it's almost identical to my previous car.)

Other than that I've only had a few tickets, the last one should drop off my record next year. If you're too worried about driving, and you can live without driving, I'd say try your best to keep it that way. Cars are allot of trouble, but they do help you feel more independant.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 9:57 am

I drive. And driving is one of my pleasures. I like to drive, sometimes up to three hours at a time. not to anywhere in particular... just... around.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 3:30 pm

Izaak wrote:
I drive. And driving is one of my pleasures. I like to drive, sometimes up to three hours at a time. not to anywhere in particular... just... around.

I personally can't stand that. My dad would do that when I was younger and it would drive me nuts. If I get in the car there better be a set destination planned. Even now driving myself, I enjoy driving but I won't drive just for the sake of driving, I have to have somewhere to go. Besides, with gas prices the way they are, its getting expensive to just drive around at all.