Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

21 Mar 2008, 10:52 pm

I am trying to make a movie for Youtube on Windows Movie Maker.

However when I try to import my clips, the following message appears:

Quote:
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Kodak Pictures\M853 Zoom Digital Camera\100_0135.mov could not be imported.

Can anyone explain what this means?

I am very frustrated! I am going to become the next Steven Spielberg, if only I could work out how to edit! :lol:

Helen

Dhunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2008, 11:13 pm

Smelena wrote:
Quote:
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Kodak Pictures\M853 Zoom Digital Camera\100_0135.mov could not be imported.

Can anyone explain what this means?

It obviously means the movie could not be imported.

OK, enough of that. Time for serious help. In my experience, I've NEVER been able to get Windows Movie Maker to import a .mov file. Try converting it to an .AVI file. I recommend Zamzar for free online conversions. If that doesn't work, try checking your options and settings or just downloading and installing iMovie.

If you have any more questions, I'll be watching this thread.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 11:28 pm

You should be able to upload .mov files, to you tube, since it converts the file to flv or flash format without any difficulty's
here the help page at youtube
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... opic=10524

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

21 Mar 2008, 11:53 pm

Dhunter wrote:
It obviously means the movie could not be imported.

:lol: :lol:

It's obvious you can spot a computer moron from a mile away. Yes I'm a computer moron!!

Dhunter wrote:
OK, enough of that. Time for serious help. In my experience, I've NEVER been able to get Windows Movie Maker to import a .mov file. Try converting it to an .AVI file. I recommend Zamzar for free online conversions. If that doesn't work, try checking your options and settings or just downloading and installing iMovie.

Thanks. I'll get to it.

Quote:
If you have any more questions, I'll be watching this thread.

Thanks. Would you be able to babysite my 3 sons so I can get on with it? :lol:

Than

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

21 Mar 2008, 11:55 pm

spudnik wrote:
You should be able to upload .mov files, to you tube, since it converts the file to flv or flash format without any difficulty's
here the help page at youtube
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... opic=10524

I've uploaded .mov Youtube before. But they were single scenes.

This movie I'm making has lots of scenes so I need to work on it first.

Helen

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 12:07 am

From Windows Movie Maker Help files:

Supported file types
You can add content to your Windows Movie Maker project either by capturing content directly in Windows Movie Maker or by importing existing digital media files. The content you capture in Windows Movie Maker is saved in Windows Media Format. However, you can also import existing Windows Media-based content as well as other common file formats.

You can import files with the following file name extensions into Windows Movie Maker to use in your project:

Audio files: .aif, .aifc, .aiff .asf, .au, .mp2, .mp3, .mpa, .snd, .wav, and .wma
Picture files: .bmp, .dib, .emf, .gif, .jfif, .jpe, .jpeg, .jpg, .png, .tif, .tiff, and .wmf
Video files: .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv

You'll need to convert the file to one of the above video file types. One of these will work. Try to convert to .avi or .wmv

http://media-convert.com/

http://www.zamzar.com/conversionTypes.php

Dhunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2008, 12:42 am

In my opinion, .AVI is your best bet. Although it uses more memory, it has a high video quality and better sound than any .mp1-4.

I have also found Zamzar (Click) to be more user friendly than media-convert.

Smelena wrote:
Thanks. Would you be able to babysite my 3 sons so I can get on with it? :lol:

:ninja: Sorry, I'm too ninja to babysit.

Good try though.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

22 Mar 2008, 11:43 pm

I'm still battling to convert from .mov to .AVI. Mainly because my 3 sons are running around high on easter eggs and I haven't had a chance to concentrate.

That's okay I decided. In the meantime I'll make a movie on MovieMaker with just photos. So I made it and tried to upload it and got this message

Quote:
Our Life With Autism / Asperger's
00:00
Recognition, acceptance, support and understanding is crucial to improve the lives of people living with Asperger's / Autism
Tags: Autism Asperger's Life Acceptance Support Understanding Recognition

Views: 0
Comments: 0
Added: March 22, 2008, 06:49 PM
Broadcast: Public | Failed (invalid file format)
Raw File: C:\Users\Robyn\Videos\Asperger's.MSWMM

So what does 'invalid file format' mean??? Do I have to convert the file?

Help!!

Helen

Dhunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2008, 1:50 am

Smelena wrote:
I'm still battling to convert from .mov to .AVI. Mainly because my 3 sons are running around high on easter eggs and I haven't had a chance to concentrate.

That's okay I decided. In the meantime I'll make a movie on MovieMaker with just photos. So I made it and tried to upload it and got this message

Quote:
Our Life With Autism / Asperger's
00:00
Recognition, acceptance, support and understanding is crucial to improve the lives of people living with Asperger's / Autism
Tags: Autism Asperger's Life Acceptance Support Understanding Recognition

Views: 0
Comments: 0
Added: March 22, 2008, 06:49 PM
Broadcast: Public | Failed (invalid file format)
Raw File: C:\Users\Robyn\Videos\Asperger's.MSWMM

So what does 'invalid file format' mean??? Do I have to convert the file?

Help!!

Helen

Have to love easter, what with the caramel filled vats of sugar.

Anyway, there is a major problem with the file I saw right away. YouTube will never take a .MSWMM.

First Solution:
Have you exported the movie from Windows Movie Maker?

Second Solution:
Try opening the file with Windows Media Player or something of the sort. (NOT iTunes!)
If it doesn't work, then it isn't a valid file.

Third solution (Last resort):
Email the files to [email protected] where I will convert them and send them back ready for YouTube or Windows Movie Maker. I wouldn't mind doing it in the least, but I know how some people can be about downloading files from complete strangers.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

23 Mar 2008, 2:54 am

Thank you so much for your advice.

I'm back asking for more advice.

So I worked out where I'd gone wrong and managed to upload it to Youtube. But there's a couple of problems:
1. It has the picture of a video on it (see below). How do I make it start with my title slide?
2. The photos are looking very pixelated (if that's the right term). The photos are off a 8MB camera and on my home computer look great. But on my video the quality has been lost.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR03uSFQf6Y[/youtube]

Thank you again Dhunter. If you can talk me through it great. If not I'll e-mail it to you.

Helen

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

23 Mar 2008, 6:55 am

It's funny .... the video pictures has disappeared and been replaced by a photo of my son which is good.

I'm still wondering about the poor quality of photos. Is there anything I can do to improve it?

Helen

Dhunter
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2008, 9:38 am

With the picture used as a screencap, there's nothing you can do. It just takes pictures of random places in the video to use.

Concerning the video quality, it's not your computer OR your camera. It's YouTube. To reduce server load, they compress and reformat the video until it's almost unrecognizable. The quality goes out the window and there's pixelation everywhere. The amount of pixelation even varies with the computer playing the video.

In short, there is nothing you can do on YouTube to fix the quality. If you still have a copy of the video, then you can keep a copy on YouTube but also but a copy on Veoh. Put a link to the high quality Veoh video in your YouTube comment or just forget YouTube altogether. More people will see it through YouTube, but the quality is below par. It just depends on which is more important, quality or views.

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

24 Mar 2008, 1:53 am

Thanks again for the information.

Back to work tomorrow so I'll have a go at converting my .mov files to AVI files this weekend.

I've got to tell you ..... all this computer talk makes my NT brain hurt.

Who do you call in a computer emergency? An Aspie!! :lol:

My 9 year old son is in a computer streamed class this year. Give it another year or two and he'll be able to teach me everything I need to know (hopefully).

Helen

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 6:03 pm

http://www.any-video-converter.com/prod ... ideo_free/
Any Video Converter
this one works great for a lot of formats, and is free :)