About to move out for college, need advice

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2008, 7:03 pm

Ok. In July I am moving out. I am starting packing now, because I know I might never get through the first box. I have this problem. I can't pack. I always try to get it perfectly neat. I want all my videogame things in one box... My Playstation, Wii the wires and controllers. But they are all different shapes and sizes... Here is where I do:
1) Gather items
2) Roll up cords
3) Put big things in first then small things
4) take everything out
5) Repeat to meltdown.

I can never get finished. I need help finding ways to pack things neatly in square shapes. BUT... I can't use cardboard boxes, I need to use Plastic ones and they all have rounded edges. And my Playstation and Wii have crisp edges. I am about to go ballistic. So what the hell should I do? I am so frustrated.

CaptainMac
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2008, 9:58 pm

Did you save any of the original boxes for your systems? The foam materials in there are the best for transportation. When I take my N64 to gatherings with my friends I take it (and the controllers and games) in their original cartons.

However, I didn't have this luxury on a bus trip. I took a Game Cube with me and simply wrapped it in two t-shirts. It was also in the middle of a sweater and a book. It arrived unharmed.

Since it sounds like you're going to college for the first time, chances are you still have a ton of t-shirts from your high school and have a bunch you got at colleges you went to. Use them to wrap stuff up. If you use two you're virtually guaranteed not to have problems. Also, use extras to fill in spaces in the box that you're packing them in.

If you're short on t-shirts, simply go to the Goodwill store and buy a bagful. It will only be a few bucks plus you may pick up something interesting in the process--maybe something you could use for a project.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 11:11 pm

Pack what you need the most first because thats vital in moving into the dorms.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2008, 9:14 am

Unfortunately my mother threw away the boxes... And I have T-shirts, but the stuff still doesn't fit cleanly....Gah. This makes me almost want to live with my parents the rest of my life. I wish I had an N64...

I am trying to, Jerry. My only important things are my computer, video games, and bed. I need my computer, and my bed weights a ton, probably literally (It's like a fortress of wood and metal) So the video games are the most important... But thanks. (Oh and I am moving into my own apartment, skipping the dorm... YAY)

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:44 am

They have beds in the dorms already just to let you know.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2008, 9:03 pm

I am not moving into a dorm though. I am moving into an apartment, plus I must have my own bed, or I don't sleep.

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 9:13 pm

Mikhaillost wrote:
I am not moving into a dorm though. I am moving into an apartment, plus I must have my own bed, or I don't sleep.

Oh ok.

Mikhaillost
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2008, 9:15 pm

:) Any more ideas? I can always use them. I am still frustrated about this.

LaRoza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 9:08 pm

Put them in and pad the extra space with something soft (maybe clothes that you don't mind getting wrinkled or towels). Not only will it save space, it will protect them.

oxes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 3:57 am

LaRoza wrote:
Put them in and pad the extra space with something soft (maybe clothes that you don't mind getting wrinkled or towels). Not only will it save space, it will protect them.

this.