Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 8:38 am

I honestly don't think it's a big deal. I don't think there's a law that requires you to disclose it when applying, so the effect of being diagnosed should be roughly equal to the effect of simply having it, regardless of official diagnosis.

MusicMaker1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2008, 9:25 am

Does anyone know who has access to medical records and social security disability info. in the U.S.A.? I was thinking of applying. Is that information made available to local police or is it part of the government's record on an individual that may prevent them from immigrating to another country?

I've been trying to find out the truth about this for some time now, but no one seems to know or won't tell me.....

Last edited by MusicMaker1 on 25 Mar 2008, 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

tybald
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2008, 10:06 am

Does anyone have any info on this regarding its impact in the UK? I am thinking specifically of keeping a private/unofficial Dx off my medical records and the legal requirements to disclose it when applying for jobs (mine is subject to an extended occupational health screening anyway).

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 11:01 am

MusicMaker1 wrote:
Hi Merle,

I was just wanting some clarification..

Are you saying that someone who applies for insurance can be accepted for general health claims, etc.. but just denied coverage on the particular Autisim issues? In other words, would a person still be accepted and if that autistic individual were to have a heart attack they would be covered for that condition and just not for psychological visits for the autism itself?

Yes, that is what it means. You see, the insurance companies do not view as there is a 'cure' nor do they view it as a disease. Just a condition they do not have benefits for. But it is not like you are denied benefits for the co-morbids as mental health issues.

Merle

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2008, 3:28 pm

I always knew I had AS but found out a year ago that I actually wasn't officially diagnosed - but now I am diagosed because I sought it out. I think it is good I guess because I am one of those "category Aspies" that likes to list out categories of birds, historical figures, and athletes among other things on many lists of paper. I like categorizing everything else and it gives me the same sensation I guess when I have a category and label to put myself in.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 3:31 pm

Depends how severe the AS/autism is. If it is bad, you may want people to help him.
If I hadn't got special allowances at school for my mental health problems, I would have never got past my GCSEs.
But on the other hand, I now have to go and basically tell whatever university I get into that "I have schizophrenia", which is not such a nice thing to have to do.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 5:06 pm

I sometimes hav the fear where it can be used against me somehow too. :cry:

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 5:09 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I sometimes hav the fear where it can be used against me somehow too. :cry:

We need more understanding.

Pithlet
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2008, 2:12 am

sinsboldly wrote:
spudnik wrote:
I am worried about being denied health insurance if I get an official DX,

I work for a major health insurance company, the following are denied when claimed for benefits on a policy.

299.00 Autistic Disorder
299.10 Childhood Disintegrative Disorder
299.80 Rett's Disorder
299.80 Asperger's Disorder
299.80 Pervasive Developmental Disorder NOS

So it is not the health insurance that is denied, it is only those diagnosis above denied.

Merle

I trust you that that may be the case sometimes. A while back, I was diagnosed (I'm 99% sure misdiagnosed) with social anxiety disorder and put on Paxil. Long story short, I went off the stuff after a few years because I laerned the hard way that for me SSRIs are bad news. Meanwhile I had a different insurance plan when I went off, but later I had to get my own plan again because the new job I got didn't have benefits. Three different places denied me for having been diagnosed with social anxiety in the past. The forth place that denied me was the place that diagnosed me with it in the first place. I had to write several letters of appeal explaining how I don't want treatment for it and they were the ones who gave me the dx in the first place before they finally accepted me back. Now my question is if so many places will freak out that much over a little diagnosis of social anxiety, how do you think they would have reacted to any kind of ASD? This is only one of my concerns abou getting a diagnosis.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 4:44 am

One of the things that worries me if I get a diagnosis is my family finding out, and the impact on them. Also how other people in society view it is a factor..

I dont think I would qualify for an Aspergers diagnosis though. Judging from the people I have met, I might be more likely to get a PDD-NOS diagnosis as I dont have some of the behavioural things such as special interests or stereotyped stimming, though I am obsessive and restless.

Taking a break.

Last edited by zen_mistress on 25 Mar 2008, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostofzoelund
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Mar 2008, 5:38 am

If you got a diagnosis through a private psychiatrist who specializes in AS, that would be "off the record", wouldn't it? Some autism websites give you references for people in private practice you can go to...I'm sure it's expensive, though.

As far as your child goes, I didn't get diagnosed until I was an adult, and I had a horrible time getting through school. Maybe it would be easier for him if his teachers know?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 6:08 am

ghostofzoelund wrote:
If you got a diagnosis through a private psychiatrist who specializes in AS, that would be "off the record", wouldn't it? Some autism websites give you references for people in private practice you can go to...I'm sure it's expensive, though.

As far as your child goes, I didn't get diagnosed until I was an adult, and I had a horrible time getting through school. Maybe it would be easier for him if his teachers know?

I got dx-ed by a private educational psychologist and its pretty "off the record for me". Although I did get statmented, which made it completely not "off the record". And I put it on my UCAS form. Lol.

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2008, 7:16 am

-insurance
-job advancement
-future possible marital battles involving possible children

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl