Warning: Anti-religious sentiment, also, long post

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 1:08 am

Its obvious that a god with powers beyond human comprehension is unprovable either positively or negatively. But this is not a problem. The problem is those people who are convinced that they can not only speak for their concept of a god, but that they can act for it in a violent manner. These people are obviously dangerously psychotic. Unfortunately there are an awful lot of them.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 1:40 am

Sand wrote:
Its obvious that a god with powers beyond human comprehension is unprovable either positively or negatively.
It is unsupported, though. When a scientist says this to you, it is proper to feel embarrassed.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:16 am

Science cannot deal with a willful motive to deceive by a supernatural power that has absolute control of time and space.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:57 am

Bluesummers wrote:
Most of it is so silly it's ridiculous, so ridiculous it angers me.

When something annoys someone, angers them, as this does you, its an indicator of angst. One does not scorn something they dont feel is important. You are adamant that the concept of god is ridiculous, yet you are not at peace with that. Or you would not need to rant about it.

Look what Grey_kameleon says:

Grey_kameleon wrote:
I'm a practical atheist, rather than a philosophical one. In other words, the concept of 'God' has no part in my life. I would never argue against the existence of a 'God', it's just that the word means nothing to me. I'm open to the existence of intelligent forces beyond what we currently know through science, and if I encounter one, I may or may not piss in its eye(s).

You are trying to spread the gospel of the atheist in the same way that some people push their bible. And just as emotionally. Your well thought out post is just an emotional plea.

Why do you so fear the concept of a god?

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 10:28 am

Anyone who is unaware of the vicious violence performed throughout the world today in the name of their particular religion is exceedingly disconnected from the world. The concept of god is indeed a dangerous concept.

Bluesummers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 12:13 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Why do you so fear the concept of a god?
Please don't put words in my mouth, even though you're somewhat right. But, to quote as I'm busy at the moment...

Quote:
Anyone who is unaware of the vicious violence performed throughout the world today in the name of their particular religion is exceedingly disconnected from the world. The concept of god is indeed a dangerous concept.
I have a son, and I genuinely worry at times if I'll see a grandchild with the way the World is going. So there goes your fear and angst.

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:21 pm

Sand wrote:
Science cannot deal with a willful motive to deceive by a supernatural power that has absolute control of time and space.
You are missing the point, though. We are able to examine that which is responsible for human motives. If the entity to which we are referring does not operate based upon the same principles, then the anthropomorphism inherent in even deism is a fallacy, thereby making deism and its ilk an absolute failure.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:06 pm

There is no way to calculate anything about a power beyond our comprehension. Religion may or may not have some effects under this condition but there is no way to know and just about any concepts based on what is or is not favorable to such a being is pure speculation. Since humans can only think as humans it is usual that religious people fabricate the nature of the universe on human values that most probably have very little to do with reality and, as history demonstrates, most religions are based on scams to give religious leaders power over their adherents and to a large degree, this power is very badly misused. Unfortunately humans in general are very gullible and swallow the nonsense very easily.