Page 6 of 6 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 7:40 pm

monty wrote:
mouapp wrote:
3 reasons why i hate this paragraph
i thought it was pretty clear he was referring to human life, this is stupid, as soon as someone disagrees your riping out this gargantuan f***ing straw man

I disagree. Is it wrong to torture animals? Is it wrong to kill animals? Those are real moral questions, and they are tied to the debate on what it means to be 'pro-life'.

I think animals have rights, not all the same rights humans do, but the basic rights that all sentient beings on any level are born with. The right to have a chance to find happiness and to progress or adopt to it's surroundings. I am not against eating meat, because I am a meat eater. But I do believe that the animals should be given:
1. Reasonable and comfortable living accomodations
2. quick and painless death.
I also think hunting for sport should be illegal. Hunting for food is different, because it's a survival skill. People are made to eat, and more specifically to eat both plants and animals. But that is a paradox of nature, we shouldn't inflict more harm than is necessary upon innocent animals, and we should insure that they do not have to suffer.

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 3:54 am

Blaaaah :skull:

Last edited by D1nk0 on 14 Apr 2008, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:37 am

In a discussion of rights it is important to understand that rights are a social and legal matter. People decide what has and hasn't got rights no matter how an individual might feel. I am very sympathetic to anything alive and feel a touch of unease when slicing an onion which is obviously extreme but the process of living demands much death to enable life and it is up to society to decide how much of each should become active. As a member of society each of us contributes to what rights are acceptable and what are not.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 4:49 am

When a foetus is in the womb and dependent on the mother's body, it is a part of the mother - a growth of cells if you like.
When a baby is outside the womb and would be able to survive/is surviving without the body of the mother, it is then a being in its own right.

I'm not saying killing in either state is right or wrong, but that is the difference.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 5:09 am

When a child is very young is is still very dependent upon its family although it is obviously an incomplete member of society. It is society that determines rights. A two year old should obviously be protected by society but should not necessarily have full citizenship rights. Rights run on a spectrum of obligations and privileges and there is no natural law that determines what happens when.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:24 pm

Boo yah! In at the last minute, killing the thread, and peddling my peculiar brand of meaninglessness:

Can't pass a self recognition test - it fails. There: live human, live elephant, live ape. ded bebeh.

There: clear cut, logical. Whddya think? 8)

PLA
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 5:27 am

Explain "self recognition test".

"Everyone loves the dolphin. A bitter shark - emerging from it's cold depths - doesn't stand a chance." This is hyperbol.

"Run, Jump, Fall, Limp off, Try Harder."

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:56 am

Being pro-life but also in favour of letting the parents ultimately decide... a foetus is still a life, and will become a person most often. I don't think that killing unborn babies should be taken lightly.