Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

psych
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 4:04 pm

Quote:
TOKYO (Reuters Life!) - "Ten", a six-year-old New World parrot, can solve a puzzle consisting of two entangled chains in less than 30 seconds.

It takes humans about an hour.

The female macaw at a botanical garden in suburban Tokyo competes against more than a dozen human visitors every day, but remains undefeated.

"I can't do it! It's impossible!" said eight-year-old Yuto Uotani, after Ten solved the puzzle in a matter of seconds, using her beak and foot.

Other parrots have so far failed to beat Ten's record. Most of them pay no attention to the chain puzzle.

"Ten is having fun while solving, whereas other parrots must learn first to disentangle. That's the difference right there," parrot keeper Daichi Yamanaka told Reuters.

It all started a few months ago when a parrot keeper handed a chain puzzle to the parrot. Ten first fiddled around with it on a passing whim and managed to solve it within a matter of few days.

"I can't believe I lost! This is frustrating!" said 23-year-old visitor Yuka Ishida, who kept trying even after being walloped twice by the parrot.

http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyle ... 6720080326 - video

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 5:06 am

that is one smart bird.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 5:30 am

Parrots generally are the smartest birds.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 1:51 pm

All my budgie can do is imitate bell sounds.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2008, 2:57 pm

my bird's been in its cage so long that it's lost all notions of dignity and will. I think it's even forgotten how to fly.

I'll go be depressing elsewhere, now.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 4:20 pm

Genius. LOL.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:31 pm

And to think that Japan is supposed to have the majority of the IT nerds of the world, and yet they're still beaten by a parrot? What has happened to the intelligence of the human species?

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
And to think that Japan is supposed to have the majority of the IT nerds of the world, and yet they're still beaten by a parrot? What has happened to the intelligence of the human species?

Nothing has.

Quote:
It all started a few months ago when a parrot keeper handed a chain puzzle to the parrot. Ten first fiddled around with it on a passing whim and managed to solve it within a matter of few days.

The bird had time to learn it, the people are just on the process of figuring it out when they challenge.

I didn't do to well with the Tower of Hammurabi when I first played with it, but after a few hours I figured out what I'll call the "even-odd" rule which optimizes time and minimized motions.

Aridarr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 7:29 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
What has happened to the intelligence of the human species?

I somehow doubt that such a thing has ever existed.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 7:40 am

Aridarr wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

You aren't using a computer and there are not roads, trains, airplanes, etc. Isaac Newton never did anything except eat from fruit trees. Metallurgy never existed. People could never figure out how to do the five or six complex steps to make stone tools. Etcetera ad infinitum.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 8:52 am

Great video! :D

My parrot doesn't do much these days except bite my girlfriend's hair and imitate kissing sounds. :lol:

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 3:02 pm

Aridarr wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

My point exactly.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.