Page 4 of 7 [ 99 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 12:19 pm

Also, keep in mind that all major cities have liberal enclaves.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Refresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2008, 7:09 pm

Any information on Mississauga, ON? I'm planning on living there next year.

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 7:19 am

:o But, but I like Houston. 8) I think Darango Colorado, would be fairly ok.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 10:27 am

Felinity wrote:
Aspie Chav, Is that the Balamory in Scotland? or some other country? Have you lived there before or what have you heard about that city? Are there alot of Aspies there? or is it just a friendly city in general? thanks

L

WHATS THE STORY with Balamory wouldn't you like to know?

JakeWilson
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2008, 1:05 pm

Fogman wrote:
Refresh wrote:
I dunno but is there any information and disscussion into where people with Asperger's are more likely to live a better life, make better friends, etc.

So far based on my experience these cities are the worst cities for Aspies:
1. Houston (live there)
2. Dallas
3. San Antonio
4. New Orleans
5. Atlanta
6. Nashville
7. Memphis
8. Little Rock
9. Charlotte
10. Oklahoma City

And based from my experience these are the best cities for Aspies:
1. Toronto
2. Ottawa
3. Montreal
4. Vancouver
5. San Francisco
6. Seattle
7. Quebec City
8. Boston
9. Portland
10. Minneapolis

This is just my theory, it really probably is far from the truth, but if you disagree with me or agree with me you can say what you want or what you think about it.

Here's my view:

1. Houston (live there)
Hated it when I stayed on the southeast side in '82

2. Dallas
Never been there

3. San Antonio
Looked like a smaller version of houston from the highway

4. New Orleans
Spent a day there, didn't really do much. The downtown was a curious mix of new buildins and urban decay. It was really sprwaled out, so I would have hated it.

5. Atlanta
I've only passed though it, but it was really sprawled out.

6. Nashville
Passed through it, looked OK from the highway.

7. Memphis
Drove around it, I wasn't impressed with it.

8. Little Rock
Never been there

9. Charlotte
Lived here from 1993 to 2002. Hated it and a lot of the people there. Supposedly it was like Atlanta only smaller and with even less to do. There wasn't much to do there, people were racist, pretentious, and generally very odd and unpredictable. One thing that I noticed about Charlotte, is that it seems to be polarised between incredibly upscale and unaffordable and total crackhouse ghetto. There really was no middle ground.

That being said, I went back there a few months ago for a few days and it outlwardly seems to have gotten better. There is now stuff to do there, and the downtown is not abandoned to the crackheads after business hours the way it was when I first went there. There is also a burgeoning Mexican/ Central American population there now, so that makes Charlotte a little less southern than it used to be, which I think is a good thing. --MusicMaker1 has a good assessment on Charlotte.

10. Oklahoma City
Never been there.

And based from my experience these are the best cities for Aspies:
1. Toronto
Never been there.

2. Ottawa
Never been there.

3. Montreal
Never been there.

4. Vancouver
Never been there.

5. San Francisco
It's a beautiful city with a lot of stuff to do, and a lot of interesting people, many of whom seen freindly. Unfortunately it's very expensive, and I could not afford to live there. Also, like a lot of compact cities, it can be trying and claustrophobic.

6. Seattle
I passed through it, it seemed nice, it's in a gorgeuous location.

7. Quebec City
Never been there.

8. Boston
It's nice, but is very expensive and can be quite claustrophobic at times.

9. Portland
Maine or Oregon? I;m from Portland Maine, and I like the city a lot, unfortunatley, the cost of living is quite high, which is why I moved.
Portland Oregon, OTOH seemed like a nice place when I passed through it in 1985.

10. Minneapolis
Seemed like a nice city when I went through it a few times when I was a kid, and later, once agin in 1985. From what I understand, though the downtown area was gutted and is now all high rise office towers. --I understand it's also now quite sprawled out as well.

I live in Texas and grew up in Corpus Christi and I know the Texas cities fairly well. I know San Antonio and Houston. I don't know Dallas but I know Fort Worth pretty well. I feel like I have done fine here in Texas but of course I have never lived anywhere else. I don't feel bad off but of course I could be missing out on a lot I don't know :?

Knowing San Antonio and Houston, my guess is that San Antonio would probably be better for Aspies than Houston. I see a VERY DISTINCT difference between the two cities. San Antonio seems to be more like Corpus Christi and Austin, whereas Houston seems to be more like Fort Worth and College Station. I am aware that College Station (I live here) is probably one of the most neurotypical places on earth (except for Wichita Falls and some other places.) But I have done well here.

If you are a conservative Aspie you aren't going to be too far out there and remember that not all Aspies are liberal :D .

However, it can be a tough place in this world when "conservative Aspie" means that you are polar opposite from hippie ideas and AT THE SAME TIME polar opposite from redneck cultural rules.

SKOREAPV83
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Mar 2008, 5:57 pm

Fogman, THANK YOU for saying Seattle is a better city for Aspies :D! In 2005 I had talked a lot about moving there. It's very expensive and I can't work full-time due to my emotional problems that come with having AS. I'm on SSI, but with apartment rents being $600 & upwards for studios & 1-bedrooms, I'd quite literally be stuck in Section 8 apartments if I did move there. If I could find a quiet, well-maintained Section 8 apartment in Seattle, I would reconsider moving there. The reason that I wanted to move there in the first place is that in college, I learned that in Seattle, there are more Deaf-Blind people than anywhere in the USA. I find I have closer friendships with Deaf-Blind people than anyone else. Plus I have better communication with them too. If there's more of them there than anywhere, I wanna move to Seattle. Maybe I'll skedaddle to Seattle after all :lol:.

On the list of worst cities for Aspies, I think Cincinnati, OH, USA should be included. There ain' nobody good to meet in this town! Plus this town has been voted the 3rd poorest city in the nation. I've got many reasons to give Cincinnati bad reviews!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 8:20 am

JakeWilson wrote:

I live in Texas and grew up in Corpus Christi and I know the Texas cities fairly well. I know San Antonio and Houston. I don't know Dallas but I know Fort Worth pretty well. I feel like I have done fine here in Texas but of course I have never lived anywhere else. I don't feel bad off but of course I could be missing out on a lot I don't know :?

Knowing San Antonio and Houston, my guess is that San Antonio would probably be better for Aspies than Houston. I see a VERY DISTINCT difference between the two cities. San Antonio seems to be more like Corpus Christi and Austin, whereas Houston seems to be more like Fort Worth and College Station. I am aware that College Station (I live here) is probably one of the most neurotypical places on earth (except for Wichita Falls and some other places.) But I have done well here.

If you are a conservative Aspie you aren't going to be too far out there and remember that not all Aspies are liberal :D .

However, it can be a tough place in this world when "conservative Aspie" means that you are polar opposite from hippie ideas and AT THE SAME TIME polar opposite from redneck cultural rules.

You're absolutely right about Wichita Falls. But there are plenty of outdoor things to do, which I like. Plus there's no humidity. I am originally from Houston, and I would constantly be out of breath while jogging in the summer.

Personally, I don't think any city is any more Aspie-friendly than others.

Refresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 4:33 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Personally, I don't think any city is any more Aspie-friendly than others.

Tell that to the Aspies who grew up or live in the South.

MartyMoose
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 4:37 pm

What about Chicago?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 5:44 pm

What exactly makes a place Aspie-friendly?

Refresh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:

-Liberal tolerant culture (which creates less breeding ground for bullying and more friends)
-More disability services
-Low crime rate overall
-Middle income areas (rich folks hate us, and obviously the ghetto people hate us)
-Probably an area with a high recent immigrant population (for some reason we Aspies can relate to them)

There's many more but this is all I can think of.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Apr 2008, 10:10 pm

I've considered moving to Austin myself.. I visited there once for about a week, and most everyone was quite nice :) and there's LOT'S of music and colleges as well.. The University of Texas is HUGE.. They say Aspies fair well in university areas ; ) It doesn't get too cold.. but it sure can get HOT there though... You might want to choose an area that's high and dry too, because Texas can have flash floods in certain spots... I know downtown Austin has flooded badly before... It's far enough inland that a hurricane probably wouldn't cause much wind-damage, but it could flood.. I think they get occasional tornadoes??

I've heard Austin compared to an "Oasis in the middle of the dessert" in regards to it being a small pocket of liberal thinking surrounded by alot of conservative territory.. maybe things are changing though?

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2008, 5:30 am

I used to live in Carson, CA (just south of Los Angeles) and must say, the thing I don't like about LA urbs is that way too many of them are trying their best to hold onto traditions and stay away from people and stay in their own little bubble. It's like "Geez,this is the densest urban area in the US, you can't change that! Get used to it!" LA's really stressful also, I wouldn't say too good for Aspies. There are some really laidback suburbs but they're very expensive.

How is Providence, RI? It really looked pretty to me when I went, and not too big yet not too small. It's weird, I love cities yet hate the overstimulation, and the stressed-out feeling I get when I leave them.

BTW I live just South of Atlanta now (Gah, the Bible-thumping South!).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:11 am

Felinity wrote:
I've considered moving to Austin myself.. I visited there once for about a week, and most everyone was quite nice :) and there's LOT'S of music and colleges as well.. The University of Texas is HUGE.. They say Aspies fair well in university areas ; ) It doesn't get too cold.. but it sure can get HOT there though... You might want to choose an area that's high and dry too, because Texas can have flash floods in certain spots... I know downtown Austin has flooded badly before... It's far enough inland that a hurricane probably wouldn't cause much wind-damage, but it could flood.. I think they get occasional tornadoes??

I've heard Austin compared to an "Oasis in the middle of the dessert" in regards to it being a small pocket of liberal thinking surrounded by alot of conservative territory.. maybe things are changing though?

Well, the heat isn't bad if there's no humidity. I currently live in Wichita Falls, Texas, 100 miles northwest of the D/FW area. Humidity is virtually non-existent, but it can very easily reach the 105-110 degree range in the summer. But although it's conservative as hell over here, it is a paradise for those who like being outdoors.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:12 am

Refresh wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

-Liberal tolerant culture (which creates less breeding ground for bullying and more friends)
-More disability services
-Low crime rate overall
-Middle income areas (rich folks hate us, and obviously the ghetto people hate us)
-Probably an area with a high recent immigrant population (for some reason we Aspies can relate to them)

There's many more but this is all I can think of.

Yet some Aspies are conservative. I used to be conservative, but now I am going through an experimentation phase right now.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 10:09 am

I like Norman, oklahoma.... Its a college town, but also a hippie town. OU, the university there brings in all kinds of different people... and since the National Weather Service headquarters is right here in Norman, it brings all kinds of weather geeks. They are so obsessed with the weather, their cars have homemade diagnostic equipment and gauges lovingly attached to the roofs. On football game days, you can avoid most of the people because they all concentrate on the campus. There is a lake and a wooded park a couple miles out of town and cost of living isnt too bad.

Of course its located close to oklahoma city. THere are good spots to live there too... like the paseo. that's where the arts district is.
I would stick to the larger cities, though. There are still Klan meetings in some of the smaller towns. Not to mention that anyone not fitting the criteria given for looks and lifestyle is a pariah. Most people from my hometown who have 'gotten out' dont even want to visit, because of the oppressive nature of the population. I cant explain it, some places just seem to have a bad vibe. You feel it when you are driving into this town and it doesnt go away until you have left.