Eligible Odd-Bods! - The Aspergian Singles List 2008

Page 2 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 8:52 am

juliekitty wrote:
Happy to say I no longer have a reason to post on this thread. :)

Congrats! 8)

I say maybe keep it to two threads and just simply state your sexual preference.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:34 am

juliekitty wrote:
Happy to say I no longer have a reason to post on this thread. :)

CON GRAB YOU LATIONS! Who's the lucky guy? Anyone we know?

- Emerson

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 9:41 am

Hector wrote:
When I looked on Aspie Affection I didn't find any Irish women so I didn't see the point in registering. Talking to someone here might be interesting but I wouldn't go so far as to join a website for long-distance stuff
Yeah, you probably shouldn't even try, I don't need the competition. :wink:

spirited wrote:
Ok, stop bickering about it, create them, sticky them, and lets all sign up!
I haven't seen you on AspieAffect in three weeks. :D

- Emerson

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 3:10 pm

I disagree it is worth having separate threads because your never going to please anyone.

However I think adding a forum feature where people can put their personal ads and search for them with criteria is a good idea.

I suggested a similar feature for the meet up and friendships a while back.

I think doing features to facilitate connecting people and organizing meet ups, whether in friendship or romance, would be a really good idea to do on Wrong Planet or any Asperger's/ASD support forum.

Aspie Affection just doesn't have a community. It may have members but not a community. That is what I have learned. Any relationships require the flow of ideas and communication. Aspie Affection is stagnant, Wrong Planet is dynamic.

Ok I know I'm laying in to Aspie Affection. I'm not doing it to slight, it just doesn't have what it takes that just the way it panned out. If you took Wrong Planet out of the equation Aspie Affection probably wouldn't have that many members (and it only has a fraction of WPs members). I absolutely agree with capitalizing on WPs success, but it would work best within the WP framework, where there is advice support and community.

One size doesn't fit all. Like some people like to use chat and I would never. That is true, but I have heard of people forming relationship on WP (and I’m not saying it can’t be improved). I have not heard anything from Aspie Affection. Even if it is happening there is no feedback, nothing. There is no incentive whatsoever.

I really think this would get a great idea. I would use it and that is saying something. Try to overlook that is me that brought this up. I know I offered to code a feature like this before, but I'd just be happy if such a feature was available. It is doable and probably a lot easier than trying to run and promote Aspie Affection. Besides thes feature would do much more than aspie affection currently does. It could provide a way for people to opt into participating in social/event in their area and keep informed in order to meet people practice social skills, etc. It could bring up then up coming events in the area so that is there for people to see if they want to be involved. It could facilitate a dating section, where people can put their personal ad and also search for others. These would each be in their relevant topics, just a feature at the top to fit in seamlessly.

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 3:28 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Aspie Affection just doesn't have a community. It may have members but not a community. That is what I have learned. Any relationships require the flow of ideas and communication. Aspie Affection is stagnant, Wrong Planet is dynamic.
You have a good point. I'll bring it to Alex's attention. PlentyOfFish seems to be dynamic for these reasons and I think we be could too.

- Emerson

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 3:35 pm

MrMark wrote:
0_equals_true wrote:
You have a good point. I'll bring it to Alex's attention. PlentyOfFish seems to be dynamic for these reasons and I think we be could too.

Thanks. What I'm saying it is pointless to build up a community from scratch when we already have it here, plus the majority of people who are in the the dating and friendship section do want to meet people, make friends, have relationships.

spirited
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2008, 7:34 pm

YEa! So there. I think we should just sticky new threads and maybe make it a personal intro thing, not like aspie affection. Then we could get rid of the older threads, and ask people to update. Maybe we could organise them into age groups too? I really like the aspie pink alien photo, though, I might stick it on myspace, if I can pirate it.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 6:39 am

spirited wrote:
YEa! So there. I think we should just sticky new threads and maybe make it a personal intro thing, not like aspie affection. Then we could get rid of the older threads, and ask people to update. Maybe we could organise them into age groups too? I really like the aspie pink alien photo, though, I might stick it on myspace, if I can pirate it.

It would too cluttered. How many sexualities and age groups are there? Countless. You'd never get passed the sticked threads. It is not fair on other users who just want advice and doesn't particularly help much. Basically, if you simply categorize in threads there no cross-referencing at all, other than tedious manual searching or the generic search function that is not fit for that purpose and thus less effective than just browsing. If anything you are making it harder for many people.

It sounds like a good idea in theory but in practice it doesn’t work. Data management doesn’t work like that.

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2008, 10:43 pm

*ALRIGHT*

(Have I said something to that effect enough so far?)

SUBFORUMS! (This prevents cluttering the love and dating (FOR ADVICE) section)

AND if we want to address things like AGE with different stickies, best solution ever: WORD descriptions of age -- sort of.

*Under 18
*Young Adult
*Adult
*Older Adult

So therefore, (And nobody give me crap about not calling under 18 people young adults, I'm drawing a legal distinction :P) there is no SET age brackets where somebody may be like 29, and not be able to find the love of their life in the 30-39 age forum. Also this way we won't have 80 year old aspies liking descriptions of 16 year old aspies and then being like "Well crap."

Unfortunately, this system would have a total number of stickies something like this:

*Under 18 Males
*Young Adult Males
*Adult Males
*Older Adult Males
*Under 18 Females
*Young Adult Females
*Adult Females
*Older Adult Females

?

THIS WAY also, if someone is . ok, nevermind, I confess this still does not address the homosexual community. But then the 8 stickies would double to 16 (which I don't have a problem with) but also a lot of aspies say they are bisexual (would make it 24 stickies) so how complicated are we willing to make this?

Someone pay me already... <33 :lol:

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 11:34 pm

I thought of a solution
If ( (forum == (love and Friends)
&& (sex == ##) (char sets preferences)
&& (age == ##)) (char sets age limitations)
&& (location == ##(3 state radius/country) (char sets location and limits)
if post == (## old) ignore (char sets age of post limits.
etc etc

and just set your preferences on your member/account settings.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 7:28 am

Well yes you can have defaults but it is pretty easy to allow user to select their own preferences if an when they want to do a search, which would be ideal. You can also allow those submitting their personal ad to select their preferences , which can be like doing a normal thread but with this feature. That way they can personalize their ad how they want it.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2008, 11:31 am

LOL, well my handsome, smart, funny and friendly Aspie son will be 17 in a few weeks. So, he might be a bit young now but he only has a year to go! He feels badly that he hasn't yet had a girlfriend or even his first kiss, but I keep telling him to be patient, he'll get there. And he'll be more likely to get the girls who will appreciate him for who and what he is and not some superficial shallow BS that most high school girls go in for.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

DuceXcreW
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Apr 2008, 11:43 am

westernwild wrote:
LOL, well my handsome, smart, funny and friendly Aspie son will be 17 in a few weeks. So, he might be a bit young now but he only has a year to go! He feels badly that he hasn't yet had a girlfriend or even his first kiss, but I keep telling him to be patient, he'll get there. And he'll be more likely to get the girls who will appreciate him for who and what he is and not some superficial shallow BS that most high school girls go in for.

You'd like to think :)

But then again I only have a few years on him and I have yet to find a girlfriend that actually likes me instead of just uses me to make their life better until they can 'trade up'

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:50 am

westernwild it has little to do with actual age. That is wishful thinking. I think it fair to say that some of us are quite delayed in knowing how to find and reciprocate in relationships. I have learn a bit I bit but I still never managed a romantic relationship yet. I'm 25.

Caravaggio
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm

The real problem would be location, location, location. Plenty of humans here but unless someone interesting is in the SF Bay Area and is single, around my age I wouldn't think twice about saying hi to them on the singles list.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:05 pm

Caravaggio wrote:
The real problem would be location, location, location. Plenty of humans here but unless someone interesting is in the SF Bay Area and is single, around my age I wouldn't think twice about saying hi to them on the singles list.

Such a system would select members and meets in your area and feature them without you having to do anything.

You can currently search for people in your area unfortunately it is a little bit tedious and not all those people will be looking to meet or indeed active members. That is why an opt-in system is the best option, rather than an opt-out.