Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Roseduelist
Raven
Raven

26 Mar 2008, 11:21 pm

I had to do a speech for college and I seriously blew it. I got yelled at by the teacher right before I had to speak. I ended up stuttering,stemming,and utterly failing at giving an informative speech.I ended up crying at the end of the entire thing! Does speaking in public scare you guys?

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Mar 2008, 11:29 pm

I get extremely nervous. I don't generally like attention drawn to me.
If I practice my expositions enough (alot) I can do them rather well - since I can prepare good ways to introduce topics, to display information and, most importantly, to cope (like remembering a phrase I want to use, a certain timing or the state of mind I'm looking for).
. . . or so it was before graduating.

If I forget "my plan" or I'm forced to improvise - then forget it. I'm sure I made an idiot of myself in a few group work interviews where I had to quickly make an exposition about myself with whatever was available.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2008, 11:34 pm

To me, it seems that by definition, it should be easier for someone with an ASD to speak at a crowd of people, rather than one on one, or in a small group.

I've never had a problem with such, as when one speaks to a crowd, they'll usually have a set topic that one has preplanned for; added spontaneity can add to the stress, obviously, and make one overwhelmed, and perhaps run away. Talking to a crowd of people is effectively "nothing" to me compared to talking to someone one on one; there's no nonverbal cues, I know what to talk about, etcetera.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 12:10 am

People always say that I look calm and normal speaking in public, but any time I go up there I fall apart inside.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Mar 2008, 5:15 am

I could not stand doing that in school at all, and was always visably nervous. I ended up taking a public speaking course in collage and that helped a little anyways. Its very challenging for me and I am happy I no longer have to do it.

fainting-goat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2008, 6:04 am

Danielismyname wrote:
To me, it seems that by definition, it should be easier for someone with an ASD to speak at a crowd of people, rather than one on one, or in a small group.

I've never had a problem with such, as when one speaks to a crowd, they'll usually have a set topic that one has preplanned for; added spontaneity can add to the stress, obviously, and make one overwhelmed, and perhaps run away. Talking to a crowd of people is effectively "nothing" to me compared to talking to someone one on one; there's no nonverbal cues, I know what to talk about, etcetera.

good response.

my unitasking/one-thing-at-a-time mind actually helps when talking
to groups: the group just fades out as i start talking.

keep in mind that just about no one is initially comfortable with public
speaking, aspie, autie, or neurotypical. taking a public speaking course
helps but so does knowing what you are talking about and having a
structured script with presentation materials (powerpoint, etc.). it also
helps to care about what you are presenting.

and your instructor sounds like an idiot.

fG

victorvndoom
Toucan
Toucan

27 Mar 2008, 6:43 am

i stuttered when i spoke in public in school and laught at
(that was 25 years ago or more)

Jamie06
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 7:26 am

I hate doing it, i'd get stuff mixed up and stutter aswell.

Liverbird
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Mar 2008, 7:54 am

I do alot of public speaking for my job. I like doing it, but hate the anxiety and nervousness of it. (If that makes sense). I have found that little tricks work well to help ease the anxiety. I imagine my audience as a bunch of bobble heads. That helps. I also have found that having a powerpoint helps alot. Powerpoints keep me on track and help me to illustrate points that are difficult. If I can't use an actual powerpoint for my audience's sake, I often make one and use the slides like index cards. Same idea, just not as much visual for the audience.

I won't lie. Public speaking sends me into full autistic behaviour. I definitely want to flap and do all kinds of things that I don't normally do. But I practice breathing and remind myself to speak slowly and think about what I'm saying, but only as I'm actually saying it. I can't think too far ahead or I get myself mixed up. I also pick a couple of places out in the audience, not necessarily people, but places, to look so that I look like I'm making eye contact with my audience. I try to get there early to set up too, so that I have lots of time to get ready and don't feel rushed and crazy and then totally lose track of my speech.

I try to plan ahead and make some jokes, too. It helps everyone relax. I know that these things don't work for everyone, but they work for me.

englishwolf
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2008, 8:18 am

I used to be absolutely terrified of public speaking and would never do it, that was until I had a job as an educational outdoor activity instructor working with kids all day.
I went from being very shy to making a fool of myself on purpose and not caring. I would occassionally be asked to slow my talking down a little as I had a tendency to rattle things off like a machine gun when I really got into the swing of things.

If you can overcome your nerves then it becomes very enjoyable very quickly (at least it did for me). For part of the course of study I completed last year I had to stand up and give 2 presentations on various subjects. I had no problem doing it other then the fact it was being filmed which I absolutely hated (major fear of being on camera/having picture taken), but after a while I managed to block out my thoughts on the camera and give presentations that scored top marks out of my class.

Once you've stood on stage in front of 150 kids and danced the macarena whilst dressed up as scooby doo you tend to stop worrying if people think you're making a fool of yourself!

tomadao
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2008, 8:29 am

I am very afraid of public speaking, as I'm a stutterer and cannot control my shaking. But every time I need to do public speaking, I just don't go. You aren't required to do something against your will if that could humiliate you.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 8:54 am

I love holding public speeches! People like hearing them too.

On the downside, I'm horrible in debates. It's too fast-paced and the topic changes with every speaker. Even when I successfully talk, I end up being ignored. I never talk directly to anyone in a debate.

If I'm prompted to speak about an unfamiliar paper in 15 minutes, I'd mess up badly. I need to be familiar with a topic or have plenty time to get to know an unfamiliar topic.

If someone were to really yell to me right before I'd have to hold a speech, I'd be terrified too though. I can't function in stressing situations. My mind would be occupied with the argument, I'd be overly distressed by the yelling. That professor of you seriously messed your speaking situation up!

Faramir
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Mar 2008, 10:38 am

I was always terrified, but then the "little professor" in me would kick in and I would have no problem rambling about the topic. But I was essentially speaking alone without connecting to the audience and not picking up on queues to keep the content and duration at the right level. These things come with time. Now I do OK. I intentionally slow down, I make a point of trying to say something using fewer words, and I try to keep the "little professor" at bay. Some may see that I am dense or unsure, but the audience normally interprets this deliberate approach as thoughtfulness and care.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 2:02 pm

Love speaking in public.

I used to take part in public speaking a lot, and I always got top marks in my class when it came to presentations.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2008, 2:05 pm

Why did the teacher yell at you? Perhaps this isn't your problem but the teacher's.

Knaidle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Mar 2008, 2:09 pm

I love public speaking, it gives me a high. Apparently I am good at it too. But as soon as it becomes informal I am not good anymore. I can handle audience interaction as long as it is in the form of specific questions that they are asking me but I cannot generate discussion.