Page 5 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 12:48 pm

hahaha... funny that. ran out of arguments?
to support the claims you make, you need a solution to the problem of induction at the very least.
tell me if you found it.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 1:37 pm

I am not run out of arguments , I can go on for eternity but you are just an arrogant babbling idiot hypocrite man who pretends wisdom , knowledge and civilizing . Just as I said .....you don't deserve a debate. Btw 90% of scientists are atheists ....they are uneducated to you too.

Reply no more because I won't reply to a such worm as you.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 6:52 pm

I haven’t read all the stuff here yet so this is in regards to the OP.

I don’t think atheism is a religion. I think this is where that idea comes from:

The most vocal and popularly recognized atheists such as Richard Dawkins happen to be positivists (these people also refer to themselves as “skeptics” or “metaphysical naturalists”).

Positivism is the stance that scientific facts are the only “real” truth. You could claim that this stance is kind of an anti-spiritual religion in that it discredits the existence of any knowledge outside the scope of scientific inquiry. This view isn’t really justifiable from a purely logical standpoint though. A lot of people claim that it is but it really isn't.

However, there are other kinds of atheists. There are spiritual atheists, Buddhist atheists, New Aga atheists, Pagan atheists, etc. These people might not like to identify with atheism but they are technically atheists if they don’t believe in a god. To be an atheist all it takes is the lack of belief in a god.

I guess it all comes down to what people wish to label themselves. Personally I would label people like Richard Dawkins as “positivist” or “skeptic” before “atheist”.

Also, the atheist-agnostic divide seems kind of arbitrary to me. I don’t really see my disbelief as contingent on having knowledge of a negative. Not knowing whether a god exists is enough for me to claim disbelief. Also, most agnostics I know don’t really care if there is a god or not so in practical terms they are no different from atheists.

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:43 pm

Griff wrote:
matsuiny2004 wrote:
you believe there is no god
Probably true, but this is a red herring. You are making the insinuation that atheism is an ideology, and it is not. Different people could dismiss the idea of a deity for different reasons. Some of these reasons can be very bad, such as the premise of it being a threat to the state. In much of Western society, it is often based upon enlightened thought. I am sure that some people just find the idea threatening to their ego or simply disturbing.

My reason for being an atheist is this: as a child, I was taught two competing ideas as to how I ought to go about forming beliefs. On one hand, I was taught that I should hold one belief over another because something dreadful would happen to me if I did not. This sentiment is strongly attached, in my mind, to Christianity. It is a classic argumentum ad consequentiam, actually, which is a type of red herring.

I don't think that many of you would disagree that this is a horrible reason to have any kind of religious belief. I was a toddler, though, and this is what I was taught religion was. I may well have remained a devout Christian if I had been given a more sophisticated understanding of the religion. There is no unravelling the past, though.

On the other hand, I was taught that I should, above all things, stick by the truth and what I know is right. This didn't have any direct bearing on my belief or disbelief in God. However, it was the most important part of my moral upbringing. When I realized that the threat of Hellfire was a very bad reason for me to adhere to the Christian doctrine, I had to do something to set my conscience right.

In my case, atheism is partially a symbol of my devotion to what I was taught, throughout my lifetime, to believe was right. All that this proves, though, is that I am not just some computing machine that can only be influenced or affected by logical functions. The thing is, though, neither are you. We are people, and, to a large degree, we are a product of our respective upbringings. Atheism is nothing like a religion. However, it can be a factor or consequence of a person's living religion. When I say "living religion," I mean the mores and principles upon which one goes about one's life, not anything necessarily to do with supernatural entities.

I guess that what I really find most offensive about your OP is that it bears the suggestion that my beliefs and way of life are based upon godlessness. It bears the suggestion that, when faced with a moral decision, the first question I ask is, "is there a God to tell me that it is wrong?" It is a premise that small-minded Christians use to argue that atheists are amoral. The statement, "Atheism is a belief," cannot be but true. It is literally the belief that there is not such a thing as God. It is a positive claim by exclusion. I can live with that. What I don't like is what I feel you are insinuating with this remark. If you said it in innocence, then you have my deepest apologies, but, in light of my experiences with Western culture, I see it as a classic statement of Christian bigotry.

If, by "atheism is a belief," you mean only that, I will argue with you no further. However, if you are using this to make the insinuation that atheism is my "religion," then you have made an egregious insult against my character. My atheism is a consequence of my core values, not the basis of them. Don't take my beliefs out of context. On one hand, it makes you look asinine, and, on the other hand, it makes you unpleasant to be around.

I admit I made the incorrect staement that atheism is a religion, but I would still say it is a beleif. I am not insiuating it is a religion by saying it is a belief.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:49 pm

atheism is an observation of a lack of evidence within the world that any religion is correct and lacking any proof of a deity. it's not a religion. not everyone has to have a religion. in fact, it's quite optional despite what the mainstream religions may wish you to think.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:58 pm

I just have a question and this doesn't come from a religous fundamentalist.

How can atheism be considered a belief if it doesn't involve the belief of a divinity/divinities or existentialism?

And yes, anyone with common since should know there's such a thing as science as it is something that has been proved. There also fanatics that try to dissprove what has been proved.

Any religious denomination or spirituality is usually based off a faith in something beyond what anyone can concieve. That's why they have different names for all these different faiths that share that one thing in common.

MeMyselfandI
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2008, 12:49 am

Atheist are afraid people, afraid that they coud never achive a complete knowedge becouse they are dust in the game of a supreme mind. There is also other afraid of the concecuence; that our acts will always have a concecuence that we have to become responsable and be blamed from them in a final judge.

No scientist, nor genious can be 100% sure that good exist but ironicaly if there is no good then humand mind has is future in the dust of time and the memory of the noething.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 1:32 am

MeMyselfandI wrote:
Atheist are afraid people, afraid that they coud never achive a complete knowedge becouse they are dust in the game of a supreme mind. There is also other afraid of the concecuence; that our acts will always have a concecuence that we have to become responsable and be blamed from them in a final judge.

No scientist, nor genious can be 100% sure that good exist but ironicaly if there is no good then humand mind has is future in the dust of time and the memory of the noething.

try that post again when you're sober...or when you've graduated the 2nd grade; whichever one is the reason why your post is so full of misspellings and somewhat incomprehensible. (ie, do you mean god all those times you typed good?)

D1nk0
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 1:54 am

Legato wrote:
It's very simple why Atheism is not a religion, nor a belief.

Athesim is the lack of a belief in God.

End of story.

Not True. Atheism is the belief that God does not(and in some cases cannot)exist at all. A person who lacks belief in God
but doesnt (necessarily)disbelieve in God is called an AGNOSTIC. :wink:

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:05 am

religion is another word for playing pretend.

atheism isn't a belief, t's common sense.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:25 am

missconstrue: the question people are hanging this whole discussion by is whether it is a belief to hold a clear-cut statement regarding metaphysical matters.
half of the people say that atheism doesnt believe in a god, hence its not a belief, the other half argue that atheism is the belief that there is no god and thus, as much a believing position as a religious persons position - only agnosticism would be truly non-believing.
(on a side note: science is not about proving. ever since karl popper, its about falsification only.)

skafather: i agree that atheism can be a conclusion of visible lack of evidence - but that doesnt take the character of the assumption away, doesnt it? as an atheist, you assume nonexistence of a god despite not having secure evidence for it.

and since lpp refuses to put some bite to his bark, i guess its quite wasted to tell that among scientists, a number of schopenhauerian-influenced positions are widespread, but i thought id drop it nevertheless.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:29 am

D1nk0 wrote:
Legato wrote:
It's very simple why Atheism is not a religion, nor a belief.

Athesim is the lack of a belief in God.

End of story.

Not True. Atheism is the belief that God does not(and in some cases cannot)exist at all. A person who lacks belief in God
but doesnt (necessarily)disbelieve in God is called an AGNOSTIC. :wink:

The problem is that the boundary between atheism and agnosticism isn't as clear cut as you think. After all it's never possible to prove with absolute certainty that something doesn't exists. There are many degrees of doubt.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 2:44 am

gekitsu wrote:
missconstrue: the question people are hanging this whole discussion by is whether it is a belief to hold a clear-cut statement regarding metaphysical matters.
half of the people say that atheism doesnt believe in a god, hence its not a belief, the other half argue that atheism is the belief that there is no god and thus, as much a believing position as a religious persons position - only agnosticism would be truly non-believing.
(on a side note: science is not about proving. ever since karl popper, its about falsification only.)

skafather: i agree that atheism can be a conclusion of visible lack of evidence - but that doesnt take the character of the assumption away, doesnt it? as an atheist, you assume nonexistence of a god despite not having secure evidence for it.

and since lpp refuses to put some bite to his bark, i guess its quite wasted to tell that among scientists, a number of schopenhauerian-influenced positions are widespread, but i thought id drop it nevertheless.

Ummm, I'm confused now :? . I just asked why atheism should be considered a belief since they don't believe in anything that can't be conceived or seen. I agree with you on scientific part since at one time the beliefs were switched around. I admit I made an oopsie on my part there. It's just that in science considering now, it's a little hard not to believe in it, but I see what you're saying a little. I guess it's all just philosophical.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 3:18 am

gekitsu wrote:

it's not my job as an atheist to secure evidence, i'm not the one laying claim to a creator or any kind of divine intervention anywhere. i've nothing to prove because there is nothing.

if you remove societal influence, all god works as is an answer for those questions that one cannot answer on their own. it's more of a reflex than anything. if you ever notice, people use the lack of an explanation as proof god exists...which is little more than proof that my theory of people mentally giving up and just declaring god to be more true.

every baby is born atheist. its society that forces one to pick a pretend figure to work with.

religion is little more than societal brainwashing on a massive scale.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:45 am

gekitsu wrote:
lpp:
a) its not that you are uneducated because you are an atheist and i have a theory, its because you make absolutist statements about matters you cant make absolute statements on, and obviously dont even see how fundamentalist your argumentation is. i am educated because i study that exact subject. science theory is my own backyard. let me spell that out clear to you: the subject of my study is the foundation of the very possibility of science as well as the concrete ruleset of science.

the way you make statements about science, that the explanations of science rival those of religion or any other metaphysics ('meta ta physica', are you versed enough in greek? it means "beyond the material" - by definition stuff beyond empirical grasp, which is unfortunately is all of the narrow scope of science), are, in their entirety, unscientific.
the mere notion that any product of scientific method has ontological quality is so absurd when you have only the slightest idea of the rules science is played by.
since you repeatedly make these kind of statements and tote them around as if they were fact, and not just another belief, i conclude that you obviously dont have a clue of science theory. to talk scientific content, its enough to be a scientist. to talk about science as a whole (that includes what science does), you need a scope that includes science theory. hence, i call you uneducated.

when a religion of your choice (say christianity) makes the statement that men exist because god wanted them to exist, based on interpretation of the bible, there is not the least point of leverage your argument has when you say: "oh, but look here, before modern man obviously existed proto-humans! hence man comes from proto-man and not from god and religion is objectively proved wrong." this religious statement is only proved wrong in relation to another statement. its your choice to ascertain more authority to one system of statements or another, but science is at no point at all about anything objective.

you should actually come to see the difference between science and the kind of metaphysically bloated science-religion you follow with fundamentalist fervour. but then, youd need to get a bit more knowledge about science in your head: descartes, hume, kant and husserl for a few basics in epistemology, as well as popper, feyerabend and kuhn to have read at least a bit on science theory.

b) religions, philosophies and all kinds of metaphysical systems answer questions outside the narrowly defined scope of science (subject-constructed causal patterns in empirical data). its your choice whether you accept any of those answers for yourself or even if the questions matter to you at all - pray tell me how science could only vaguely answer what the meaning of existence is - not its mere causation.
same error of categories on your paragraph on soul etcetera... science doesnt disprove sh** because science isnt even capable of grasping the subject. simple example: the first axiom of science is causality as a structuring element. so, in the confines of science, neither freedom nor randomness can be defined. science doesnt have the vocabulary to delineate these concepts. so, all science can do concerning freedom and randomness is to shut up - and shutting up is not exactly disproving.
same thing about everything that is not empirical. science is only concerned with empirical data - hence, there can not be scientific statements on non-empirical things. period. its just not sciences job, unfortunately.
if the whole debate around freedom of will wold be as easy as you reduce it to be, it would have been over ages ago. however, its only easy to those who have limited insight in their tools, and thus, still going on, as you undoubtedly know (and its not fought on the ground of religion - and until now, none of the blown-up causation stories told by some ex-neuroscientists held longer than it needed to refresh their knowledge of science theory)

and please... you know better than trying to pull the historical argument on me. lets argue about the things themselves, instead. your nice but outrageously assumptive run-down on the history of religion doesnt touch the question of godlike entities in the least.

and just to set one thing straight: i dont believe in any kind of god myself, but im not an atheist - im an agnostic, tending towards proto-existentialism, phenomenological wing.

Your etymology is off. "Metaphysics" simply means "after The Physics," referring to the fact that Aristotle's book on what he called "First Philosophy" was the next volume after his book on Physics. IMO good metaphysical statements are generally questions based on empirical information that themselves probably cannot be falsified but can inform the creation of new falsifiable hypotheses. Metaphysical questions that become removed from empirical roots are meaningless in a Wittgensteinian sense.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:49 am

MeMyselfandI wrote:

Using that crap reasoning Theists are psychopaths that only act morally out of an egoistic desire for an eternal blissful existance and fear of divine punishment.