Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 11:43 am

grain-and-field wrote:
Its no joke. mr Bush is a down to earth guy, that cares about everything from improving public schools(No child left behind act) to maintaining an active interest in foreign relations.

There seems no evidence that he really is a down to earth guy. The no child left behind is heavily criticized as reducing the actual value of education. As well, the active interest in foreign relations seems mostly to be pissing off foreign nations.

Quote:
mr Bush even cares about the poor people, If thats not what I would want in my president, I dont know what is.....

Simple answer: competence. Not massive deficit expansion, policy inconsistency, or political isolation, and certainly a lot less Bushisms would be nice too.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 12:49 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
Its no joke. mr Bush is a down to earth guy, that cares about everything from improving public schools(No child left behind act)

Just in case you really are serious, have a look at how the No Child Left Behind act works in practice

grain-and-field wrote:
to maintaining an active interest in foreign relations.

That is true. He does take an active interest. His active interest is that no foreigner should interfere with the companies that support him making big profits. The national interest of the USA takes second place, anyone else's interest is beyond his mental horizon. I can imagine only two groups that can justify calling Dubya the greatest American president. That's the very rich who bought him, and the people who want to hasten the end of the world because they believe that's when Jesus will return.

zendell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:20 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
There will be general elections in the USA this year. However, these elections are not free. The law clearly states that some people cant run for president.

One of the best presidents the US have had is not able to continue his term. George Walker Bush.

My point is, I want to see mr Bush in office for 4 more years. But this is not allowed because of the law, thats wrong. Mr Bush is a great president and the american people deserve to be able to vote for him in this "free" elections.

Do you agree?

Bush would never win elections if he was allowed to run for a third term

Sargon
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2008, 8:32 pm

I might not be the best at detecting sarcasm, but I think grain-and field is being facetious .

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:38 pm

grain-and-field wrote:
There will be general elections in the USA this year. However, these elections are not free. The law clearly states that some people cant run for president.

One of the best presidents the US have had is not able to continue his term. George Walker Bush.

My point is, I want to see mr Bush in office for 4 more years. But this is not allowed because of the law, thats wrong. Mr Bush is a great president and the american people deserve to be able to vote for him in this "free" elections.

Do you agree?

i don't agree. this is something that's come up a few times. the third term limitation came in after FDR took a third term and back then people were shouting dictator at him for going for a third term too.

i don't know whether this is true or just part of american mythology, but washington supposedly denied serving a third term paraphrasing that we're to be free and not under kings.

now...while i'm sure name recognition has to do with the current scenario more but: we've been under a bush or clinton for about 20 years now and even longer if you count bush's term as veep.

that's not democracy. that's lazy morons voting for the same two people over and over and over again.

our restrictions on public office are in place for good reason and honestly i think they need to be tighter. bush's failure as president shows that with glowing clarity.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:48 pm

skafather84 wrote:

i don't know whether this is true or just part of american mythology, but washington supposedly denied serving a third term paraphrasing that we're to be free and not under kings.

I haven't heard that particular myth, but Washington did set the precedent with an unwritten rule that presidents should serve two terms and then step aside.

skafather84 wrote:
now...while i'm sure name recognition has to do with the current scenario more but: we've been under a bush or clinton for about 20 years now and even longer if you count bush's term as veep.

that's not democracy. that's lazy morons voting for the same two people over and over and over again.

That sounds exactly like democracy to me, if we ignore the fact that GW Bush has never won a presidential election. Democracies will tend to select poor leaders because a vote is a popularity contest and most people are not well informed on the issues. Elections are determined either by better media handling or, in the case of Mr. Bush, vote-rigging.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:53 pm

Who cares!- the voting system is rigged anyway. Heres some disturbing videos, if not actual evidence of vote rigging, then pretty damn close:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1188118 ... t=#1188118

btw. series 4 of 'the wire' was a damning criticism of the 'no child left behind' policy, to great effect.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 8:59 pm

Orwell wrote:
skafather84 wrote:

That sounds exactly like democracy to me, if we ignore the fact that GW Bush has never won a presidential election. Democracies will tend to select poor leaders because a vote is a popularity contest and most people are not well informed on the issues. Elections are determined either by better media handling or, in the case of Mr. Bush, vote-rigging.

sadly, you're right. democracy isn't anything more than just voicing an opinion on a poll. all you can hope is that you can encourage people to take pride in trying to be correct and break them out of the idea that they're always right and that all their political ideas are "opinions" that can't be measured or challenged or called out and out wrong.

i keep on getting stuck in the idea of taking pride in your vote and putting the most effort and research possible into the candidates and knowing what they stand for and not what lies they feed in their speeches.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:53 pm

'Whether you vote for the lesser of 2 evils... you still vote for evil' - KRS-One

'..and the government still gets in' - trad.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 11:00 pm

psych wrote:
'Whether you vote for the lesser of 2 evils... you still vote for evil' - KRS-One

i love krs-one. did you see the clip of him on hannity?

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 12:11 am

It's not a matter of who is giong to protect the Constitution the most, it is who is going to destroy it the least.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 12:53 am

skafather84 wrote:
psych wrote:

i love krs-one. did you see the clip of him on hannity?

yeah, that was a great clip 8)

They (Fox) even let M1 (dead prez) go on another time with, but this time they were smart enough to abruptly cut to a commercial break before the pwnage got too bad :lol: its on youtube.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 1:29 am

matrix wrote:
It's not a matter of who is giong to protect the Constitution the most, it is who is going to destroy it the least.

i don't think that's necessarily true. just....people need to realize to lighten up and let others have their freedom. destroy it with too much liberty, i guess.