Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

28 Mar 2008, 10:30 am

There will be general elections in the USA this year. However, these elections are not free. The law clearly states that some people cant run for president.

One of the best presidents the US have had is not able to continue his term. George Walker Bush.

My point is, I want to see mr Bush in office for 4 more years. But this is not allowed because of the law, thats wrong. Mr Bush is a great president and the american people deserve to be able to vote for him in this "free" elections.

Do you agree?

matsuiny2004
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 10:47 am

No I do not he is completely unqualified, I mean he got a C in Yale. I agree with your point that he should have the right to run again, but I think the two terms a candidate is enough for me. So far as "free elections" they will never exist there will always be some form of corruption in poilitcs. The least we can do is minimize it.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 1:37 pm

President Bush is one of the best presidents we've had? You don't hear that opinion much. Especially since I've heard conservatives and even liberals rejecting him from the conservative movement and calling him a screw up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWDs_ANbgkU That is rather long at being an hour long, but both liberal economist Brad deLong and conservative economist Richard Schmalensee both ended up agreeing that Bush is a terrible president and not worthy to be considered a conservative.

matsuiny2004 wrote:
No I do not he is completely unqualified, I mean he got a C in Yale. I agree with your point that he should have the right to run again, but I think the two terms a candidate is enough for me. So far as "free elections" they will never exist there will always be some form of corruption in poilitcs. The least we can do is minimize it.

A lot of our presidents are screw ups, heck, Kerry did about the same as Bush did in school.

Everchanging
Toucan
Toucan

Location: In my ivory tower where I don't have to pretend to care what you think any more.

28 Mar 2008, 2:37 pm

4 more years of Bu$h would pretty much finish humanity off.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 3:06 pm

They say that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence....

How's things in Sweden, grain-and-field??

You think that Bush's 'freedom' to run for a third term is greater than America's freedom to have a constitution that says no more than 2.5 terms per person as president?

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 3:22 pm

I don't like President Bush. He has some insanity, for sure, but not as much as the current three candidates, who all seem to possess overflowing supplies of ineptitude and illogical anger. If George W. Bush was on the ticket again, I'd have to vote for him in order to vote against the other three, who are out-and-out loons. (McCain is a loon because he doesn't realize he's a liberal Democrat, but instead entertains the delusion that he's a conservative Republican. :roll: I mean, if he can't even tell what he is, how's he going to make the decisions necessary to run the country? His latest speech on foreign relations is being widely compared to John Kerry's stated goals back when he was running.)

G.W. Bush would be the least of the four evils.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 5:18 pm

I think it is great that a president can only be in office for a couple of terms. Power is corrupting, you might notice how some leaders in the world try to cling onto power as much as they can. Look at President Putin in russia, he is acting a bit scary. Fidel Castro of cuba should have retired a long time ago. :)

I don't think President Bush is much of a president, he seems more like a front man and relies on people around him to make decisions. Maybe a bit like having an actor like Ronald Regan as president.

The biggest problem I see with american politics is that because of the insane amount of money you need to run a political campaign, it's more like who can ran the best campaign wins.

What worries me is that because you need money to run a campaign you maybe expected to give something back to the donor as well, also wealthy people could also influence policy. Low taxes for the rich ????

For example I noticed Fox news is really biased to the republicans. Have you ever thought Fox news supports the republicans because they have lower taxes for wealthy owners? Rubert Murdoch of Australia (the owner of fox i think) to me is someone more interested in making money than anything else.

Presidential pardons make interesting readings also

Look at President Clinton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Clint ... ontroversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... ll_Clinton

Look at Bush
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pe ... ge_W._Bush

Bollinger
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Mar 2008, 7:04 pm

Leaving aside the assertion the W is one of the greatest presidents ever -- could that be a joke, like an article in the Onion? -- I would have no problem with him running for a third term.

Because this time, he would lose.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2008, 8:03 pm

Ragtime wrote:
I don't like President Bush. He has some insanity, for sure, but not as much as the current three candidates, who all seem to possess overflowing supplies of ineptitude

Umm.... G W doesn't? The cumulative debt of the United States in the past 5 completed fiscal years was approximately $2,782 billion, or about 29.5% of the total national debt. This is not to mention the intense dislike of G W at home and abroad, as well as blatant disregard for some of his 2000 campaign promises, which included a statement that he was against nation building.
Quote:
(McCain is a loon because he doesn't realize he's a liberal Democrat, but instead entertains the delusion that he's a conservative Republican. :roll: I mean, if he can't even tell what he is, how's he going to make the decisions necessary to run the country?

# Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
# Rated 0% by the ACLU, indicating an anti-civil rights voting record. (Dec 2002)
# Rated 33% by the HRC, indicating a mixed record on gay rights. (Dec 2006)
# Rated 7% by the NAACP, indicating an anti-affirmative-action stance. (Dec 2006)
# Rated 83% by the Christian Coalition: a pro-family voting record. (Dec 2003)
# Rated 100% by CATO, indicating a pro-free trade voting record. (Dec 2002)
# Rated 25% by APHA, indicating a anti-public health voting record. (Dec 2003)
# Rated 0% by SANE, indicating a pro-military voting record. (Dec 2003)
# Rated 15% by the AFL-CIO, indicating an anti-union voting record. (Dec 2003)

(pink is conservative and blue is liberal and the closest the two is where his conservatism was 30% than liberalism)

Sounds very liberal democrat right there.

Quote:
(His latest speech on foreign relations is being widely compared to John Kerry's stated goals back when he was running.)

I remember Kerry's goals to be towards not giving the bird to all foreign nations and attempting to work with them.
Quote:
G.W. Bush would be the least of the four evils.
If that is true then the US must be quite screwed.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 10:35 pm

I oppose the 22nd Amendment; I would be glad to see a good president be elected for as long as he or she was able to perform their duties adequately. That said, W was never really elected anyways, so the argument of whether he should have a third term is rather silly. Plus, he's done a pretty lousy job and caused some long-term damage to our country that we may never recover from fully.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 11:20 pm

Are you aware that the Nazi party of Germany was funded by the New York banking corporation? The New York banking corporation was shut down after WW2 by the "trade with the enemy act". Guess who the director and vice-president was - Prescott Bush, your current president's grandfather.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 11:28 pm

Khan_Sama wrote:
Are you aware that the Nazi party of Germany was funded by the New York banking corporation? The New York banking corporation was shut down after WW2 by the "trade with the enemy act". Guess who the director and vice-president was - Prescott Bush, your current president's grandfather.

Is that really relevant? Plenty of Americans supported the Nazis, many more than you would think if you limited yourself to our whitewashed version of history. Judge W on his own failings (which should be ample reason to want him out of office), not by his grandfather.

Khan_Sama
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2008, 11:56 pm

Oh, I've already judged him by his "failings". I was just pointing out what influence his family has over him. Btw, I believe in the Zeitgeist conspiracy theories. I'm convinced that true democracy does not exist in this world.

mirandao
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Mar 2008, 1:04 am

22nd amendment makes it unconstitutional. It doesn't matter how qualified or unqualified a two term president is, constitutional eligibility requirements do not make elections unfree. No more so than requirements that mandate age or birth citizenship. All of these rules exist for a good reason, they are the reason we have a stable federal republic in the US.

grain-and-field
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2008, 3:27 am

Bollinger wrote:
Leaving aside the assertion the W is one of the greatest presidents ever -- could that be a joke?

Its no joke. mr Bush is a down to earth guy, that cares about everything from improving public schools(No child left behind act) to maintaining an active interest in foreign relations.

And since there is obviously no good candidate running in 2008, I think the american people should ask mr Bush to a third term, thus ignoring the term limit.

Here is a real life quote from mr Bush to demonstrate my point. Point is, that mr bush wants only whats best for the american people.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/magazine/17BUSH.html?ex=1255665600en=890a96189e162076ei=5090

''I've never lived around poor people,'' Wallis remembers Bush saying. ''I don't know what they think. I really don't know what they think. I'm a white Republican guy who doesn't get it. How do I get it?''

mr Bush even cares about the poor people, If thats not what I would want in my president, I dont know what is.....

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 11:29 am

grain-and-field, you are delusional beyond all hope. Bush has gotten a hell of a lot of people killed, and shown no remorse for it. He has openly and brazenly lied to the American people on numerous occasions, damaged our economy, and ruined our standing internationally.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Goethe