Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:16 pm

The other day I was enjoying a day out with my kids. My daughter, who LOVES shoes, asked if she could try some on. I thought, what the heck, sure. So we sit down, have the shoes brought over and she tries them on. Meanwhile, I overhear a conversation going on amongst the employees standing at the register. It goes:

Associate 1: "Hey, did you know that actor, so-and-so, has Asperger's?"
Associate 2: "Asperger's? What's that?"
Associate 1: "I dunno, like they have head issues or something, and no friends."
Associate 3: "Haha, yeah, he as ASSperger's alright. He's a complete ASS. Maybe that explains the no friends part."

More laughter ensued from all in the group, and more ASS references are made. My daughter gives me a curious look (she has AS, my son has autism). By now I can feel my blood boiling. I told my daughter to take the shoes off, and we'd go to another store. I took the shoes over, dropped them on the counter and said, "You know, that would be a whole lot funnier if my little girl didn't have Asperger Syndrome. And by the way, it's a form of Autism."

They fell silent. One of them muttered, "I'm...sorry..." at my back. I didn't bother to turn around. I walked over to another register and asked the associate to get the store manager for me. I explained what had happened, and he looked rather horrified. He said, "I'm feel awful saying this, but I'm not sure I know what Asperger Syndrome is, could you tell me?" I explained that it is a form of autism. He apologized again, thanked me for taking the time to tell him and assured me he was going to talk to the people right that very moment. He asked if there was anything he could do, and I said, "Just make sure I can bring my children to this store in the future without fear that grown adults will be laughing and making fun of their disability."

I spent the next half hour explaining to my daughter that some people just laugh at things they don't understand, which I think confused her even more.

I'm just curious as to how others would have handled this.

Last edited by Mikomi on 30 Mar 2008, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2008, 5:20 pm

I probably would have done something similar, except less tactful. And I probably wouldn't have been clearheaded enough to get the manager. Well done.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:23 pm

You rock. You handled that perfectly.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:24 pm

Wow, what an awkward situation to find yourself in!! I think you handled it really well, I probably would have done more or less the same thing. Well done on keeping a clear head and getting the manager like that - I think the more people bring these things up with employers, the more awareness will be raised. I'd bet those women would have at the least looked it up on wikipedia and learnt something that day, so although it was a difficult situation for you and your daughter, you've at least managed to teach a few more people what it is and raise a little more awareness.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:48 pm

Mikomi,

What is your daughter like? Does she appear normal and intelligent? Maybe you should have had HER explain to them how they acted like IDIOTS!

A little girl, that can dispell their beliefs, with the "disability" could really punch it home to any halfway decent human a lot better than an adult could.

Oh well, they will probably not get out of that "career", and acting as they do will probably cause their income to drop. Maybe your daughter can have the last laugh by never having to deal with that.

BTW A lot of people misunderstand autism as well.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 5:56 pm

One more reason to start calling it High Functioning Autism instead. I'm sick of the ass jokes as well.

tbam
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2008, 6:00 pm

I probably would have acted as though I didn't hear them and go somewhere else, and then probably never go to that store again. I hate confrontations, ughhh. I'd rather just avoid them.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 6:00 pm

Fuzzy wrote:

And kept your dignity, which puts you above those asses (the real type).

tomadao
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2008, 6:19 pm

Congrats. I'd do the same, but few people would act that way.

foxman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2008, 6:45 pm

Mage wrote:
One more reason to start calling it High Functioning Autism instead. I'm sick of the ass jokes as well.

No joke. I usually just say I have HFA, since it requires less explanation.

nomad21
Toucan
Toucan

30 Mar 2008, 7:10 pm

Mage wrote:

The world is full of stupid people. Just recently we read a book in my english class about a boy with aspergers syndrome, and of course my classmates were making the ass burgers jokes left and right. I just stopped caring and started laughing with them. These jokes will never go away unless the world has no more stupid people (which will never happen), so I try not to get stressed out about it. (although at times it can be hard not to, especially when I'm not in a good mood)

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 9:22 pm

Fuzzy wrote:

Seconded.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

annotated_alice
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:24 pm

I think you handled it really, really well. Way to go! :cheers:

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:27 pm

They're the real Ass-burgers. :roll:

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:30 pm

"You know, that would be a whole lot funnier if my little girl didn't have Asperger Syndrome. "

You mean you'd laugh at aspies too, weren't your daughter an aspie? I find that the most offensive.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2008, 10:49 pm

I think that you've handled it, very well.