Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 6:43 am

Link

Quote:
Plans for Al Gore to take the Democratic presidential nomination as the saviour of a bitterly divided party are being actively discussed by senior figures and aides to the former vice-president.

The bloody civil war between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama has left many Democrats convinced that neither can deliver a knockout blow to the other and that both have been so damaged that they risk losing November's election to the Republican nominee, John McCain.

Former Gore aides now believe he could emerge as a compromise candidate acceptable to both camps at the party's convention in Denver during the last week of August.

What do you guys think? Would this settle the schism within the Democratic party and save them from certain defeat at the hands of McCain in November?

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 7:47 am

Will the dems draft Gore before or after the founder of The Weather Channel sues him for fraud?

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 8:31 am

ja wrote:
Will the dems draft Gore before or after the founder of The Weather Channel sues him for fraud?

I read that article too. The suit would get thrown out of court the first day.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 11:13 am

The mulled nomination of Al Gore for president is a reminder that there's at least someone more incompetent to run the country than Obama and Clinton.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 11:18 am

Who said "I'm not a member of an organized political party, I'm a Democrat" ?? There is no one in a position to draft Gore.

I don't think Gore wants it, and the fact that neither Obama or Hillary has enough votes (yet) doesn't mean that one won't. To ignore all the work involved in a primary and bring in someone at the last minute makes no sense. Not gonna happen this time around.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 2:52 pm

Um, no. Gore's not going to be the nominee. It doesn't even matter that he invented the Internet, he would have no chance.

BesideYouInTime
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Apr 2008, 2:55 pm

This is just dumb speculation anyway...Al Gore notwithstanding, would ANYONE be happy with a nominee who didn't receive a single vote in the primary season? I wouldn't, and I think Al Gore is great.

monty
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 2:58 pm

Orwell wrote:
Um, no. Gore's not going to be the nominee. It doesn't even matter that he invented the Internet, he would have no chance.

You mean, it doesn't even matter if George Bush falsely said that Gore claimed to have invented the internet, when he actually said he was an early supporter of it in Congress??

Obres
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

Yeah, we wouldn't want Gore as president anyway. I mean, since he lost to Bush in 2000, all he's done is been right about just about everything he predicted while all of Bush's predictions were obviously wrong. Plus he won a nobel peace prize. It's obvious he's an elitist as*hole. This country won't put up with a president who's right about things, it makes us feel worse about ourselves. And I really need that warm and fuzzy feeling that comes with knowing I have 50 IQ points on the president of the US. Bush for a third term!

Seriously though, even the dems wouldn't be so stupid as to just completely pull a candidate out of their asses... I hope

Psychlone
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 10:49 pm

Yeah, Al Gore probably isn't a good candidate because he lost the election when he ran back in 2000 and I don't think anyone could get behind him and give him a second chance to prove himself. I mean, he lost to Bush for chrissake! And Bush has a lower approval rating than Nixon!

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 11:14 pm

Psychlone wrote:
Yeah, Al Gore probably isn't a good candidate because he lost the election when he ran back in 2000 and I don't think anyone could get behind him and give him a second chance to prove himself. I mean, he lost to Bush for chrissake! And Bush has a lower approval rating than Nixon!

technically that's not true. the supreme court intervened before a final vote could be decided in florida (the myth goes that al gore was coming up higher in the polls and was going to win florida). not to mention those protests you saw on tv protesting the recount were organized by people affiliated with bush. so i mean bush won through political moves and not through a legitimate democratic victory.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2008, 7:56 am

Gore has been doing a lot more good raising awareness of climate change as a private citizen then he did when he was a politician. He seems to be coming to fill a kind of "respected elder statesman" role more then anything.