Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Apr 2008, 8:20 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
There must be more than two Jenny McCarthy's out there because the one I know has never spoken negatively about her son nor Autism. She speaks glowingly about her son and her fight to end his seizures and help his Autism symptoms. But, her biggest fight is for doctors to reconsider the vaccine schedule and she said, it doesn't matter what side you're on in the vaccine war, we need to evaluate whether all kids should be on the same schedule.

I don't want to get into any vaccine wars, but I support her in pushing to have the CDC examine whether every child born today should get the mandatory shots at the same time. Or, whether they should be spaced out differently for kids whose immune systems are suppressed, pre-mature, have heart conditions or who are failing to thrive in other areas. It's a timing issue. So, I'm totally behind Jenny here. All she's saying is let's look at our schedule to see if they're adequate for every infant.

She has also been quoted as saying that her son's life ended the day he became autistic. She also claims that the reason she is positive that vaccine's caused her son's autism is because "a mother knows".

Be careful how "totally behind" Jenny you get, you may find yourself disagreeing with some of what she is promoting.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2008, 9:58 pm

Dear Jenny,
in the future, please feel free to call attention to yourself due to your achievements, and not jump on some bandwagon to get loads of free publicity.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:34 am

Newport, when I said "That is nearly impossible" I was actually referred to the likelihood of achild going through the first two years of life without a viral infection, not any adjustments. I agree that adjustments should indeed be made. The stupid thing about the Hannah Poling case from what I could tell - they were actually doing the right thing, until they did that five shots one after the other in a "catch up". Why catch up? If there's a problem you have to delay. I don't think there's anything can't be delayed for whatever the reason. It's as though two years old is some sort of major cut off. That's discrimination in my book. The program can be easily and safely expanded to at least three years and actually as much as five years. It's at five that you get a realistic cut off - school.

My view is this. Start a program, and monitor reactions. There are 36 vaccines in the schedule at the moment. If there is the room, the vaccine creators should be looking at doing what has already been done with the MMR (combine vaccines - and properly and safely), so that the sheer number can be cut back. Meanwhile - look at each vaccine one by one (as you have done and good for you). Set a minimum time to say, "OK, no reaction. Let's go to the next one." I can't see that minimum being less than two weeks. Now at once every two weeks that gives us 26 in the first 12 months PROVIDED the child hasn't got sick in the meantime. If they did - stop the program and let the child recover. Then re-start with NO catch up. Now I think it's possible from a more realistic time point to get through that 26 in two years - without any multi on the trot shots.

And if there is a reaction - get into it instantly and find the cause. Did the vaccine react to something in the child that wasn't detected before then? Was the vaccine from a bad batch? That happens and it's why the vaccine court was set up in the first place presumably.

This is the sort of calm thinking that people in the position of a Jenny McCarthy should be doing. But she isn't. She's carrying on like what we in Australia call a "two bob watch", and she'll get no respect on any issue she talks about if she continues in that vein.

Let's get the vaccine usage right, and I also think any doctors who do the wrong thing should start getting penalised - and that may even help the vaccine court especially with the Omnibus. The Poling case is a great example of a case that shouldn't have got that far - because the doctor who gave her the five shots as a catch up was at fault, not the vaccines. Now if the doctor concerned blamed the schedule (which is likely) then perhaps the government should shoulder the blame. But like Julie Gerderbing said - it doesn't prove that vaccines cause Autism, and that's the angle McCarthy's attacking the problem. Wrong angle! Right idea, but a different angle is needed.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm

My letter was removed.

I do believe this is a violation of freedom of speech, my friends.

I actually think i could maybe report this.

beentheredonethat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 9:04 pm

I'm all for stopping all the shots they give to kids.
Let's bring back:
Polio
Whooping cough
Scarlet Fever
Small Pox

All those wonderful diseases from the good old days. Let the general population enjoy words they have never heard before like Iron Lung.

I love reactive people.

Btdt

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

beentheredonethat wrote:
I'm all for stopping all the shots they give to kids.
Let's bring back:
Polio
Whooping cough
Scarlet Fever
Small Pox

All those wonderful diseases from the good old days. Let the general population enjoy words they have never heard before like Iron Lung.

I love reactive people.

Btdt

Right.

Actually, there is a good case for slowing down the vaccination schedule, however. The US jumps on it much faster than most other countries. A lot of parents are only asking that we slow it down. That might be a reasonable compromise.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:23 am

demoluca wrote:
My letter was removed.

I do believe this is a violation of freedom of speech, my friends.

I actually think i could maybe report this.

Where did you post it?

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:28 am

At oprah dot com.

They deleted it for no-reason.

No email as to why they deleted it, no warning no anything.

Very odd.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 5:09 pm

Pepperfire wrote:
Be careful how "totally behind" Jenny you get, you may find yourself disagreeing with some of what she is promoting.

YOU don't ever tell me what to do.

Do your own thing.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

TLPG wrote:
Newport, when I said "That is nearly impossible" I was actually referred to the likelihood of achild going through the first two years of life without a viral infection, not any adjustments. I agree that adjustments should indeed be made. The stupid thing about the Hannah Poling case from what I could tell - they were actually doing the right thing, until they did that five shots one after the other in a "catch up". Why catch up? If there's a problem you have to delay. I don't think there's anything can't be delayed for whatever the reason. It's as though two years old is some sort of major cut off. That's discrimination in my book. The program can be easily and safely expanded to at least three years and actually as much as five years. It's at five that you get a realistic cut off - school.

My view is this. Start a program, and monitor reactions. There are 36 vaccines in the schedule at the moment. If there is the room, the vaccine creators should be looking at doing what has already been done with the MMR (combine vaccines - and properly and safely), so that the sheer number can be cut back. Meanwhile - look at each vaccine one by one (as you have done and good for you). Set a minimum time to say, "OK, no reaction. Let's go to the next one." I can't see that minimum being less than two weeks. Now at once every two weeks that gives us 26 in the first 12 months PROVIDED the child hasn't got sick in the meantime. If they did - stop the program and let the child recover. Then re-start with NO catch up. Now I think it's possible from a more realistic time point to get through that 26 in two years - without any multi on the trot shots.

And if there is a reaction - get into it instantly and find the cause. Did the vaccine react to something in the child that wasn't detected before then? Was the vaccine from a bad batch? That happens and it's why the vaccine court was set up in the first place presumably.

This is the sort of calm thinking that people in the position of a Jenny McCarthy should be doing. But she isn't. She's carrying on like what we in Australia call a "two bob watch", and she'll get no respect on any issue she talks about if she continues in that vein.

Let's get the vaccine usage right, and I also think any doctors who do the wrong thing should start getting penalised - and that may even help the vaccine court especially with the Omnibus. The Poling case is a great example of a case that shouldn't have got that far - because the doctor who gave her the five shots as a catch up was at fault, not the vaccines. Now if the doctor concerned blamed the schedule (which is likely) then perhaps the government should shoulder the blame. But like Julie Gerderbing said - it doesn't prove that vaccines cause Autism, and that's the angle McCarthy's attacking the problem. Wrong angle! Right idea, but a different angle is needed.

Totally agree about the schedules. But, Jenny said she doesn't believe vaccines cause all Autism. She said that on Larry King, but if I'm mistaken you can post the script and I'll read it. Anyway, I agree with you on the rest. There seems to be several threads on the same topic going, but on one of them I posted I put my youngest on a different schedule for vaccines after the diagnosis.

TLPG
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 5:50 pm

Newport, the fact that she even considers the possibility that vaccines cause Autism - even with that disclaimer you mentioned - is the wrong angle.

It doesn't. At worst, it could cause a regression in an already existing condition, but not originate it. It may be that which happened the Hannah Poling. I heard two different messages about her - that she had Autistic traits but no DX, and that she had a DX. My view is that if what I heard about Hannah prior to the "catch up" is correct and she did have a DX post "catch up" - she was on the Spectrum already.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:04 pm

I never posted this for you guys to vent your arguing.
I never mentioned a word about the vaccines.The vaccines aren't what this letter is about.

This letter is about the fact that,regardless of cause or mis-cause,

That autistics are being treated/compared to the plague.This sickens me.

Even if we are cause by some external factor, we still have the right to choose or not choose our destiny,whether or not we wish to live, and whether or not we want a cure if one comes available.

I understand this whole issue is damned insulting to all autistics,but by getting into these long debates about the same things, and pointing the finger we aren't showing that we are any better then the scum that says such things.

NewportBeachDude
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 6:26 pm

demoluca wrote:
I never posted this for you guys to vent your arguing.
I never mentioned a word about the vaccines.The vaccines aren't what this letter is about.

This letter is about the fact that,regardless of cause or mis-cause,

That autistics are being treated/compared to the plague.This sickens me.

Even if we are cause by some external factor, we still have the right to choose or not choose our destiny,whether or not we wish to live, and whether or not we want a cure if one comes available.

I understand this whole issue is damned insulting to all autistics,but by getting into these long debates about the same things, and pointing the finger we aren't showing that we are any better then the scum that says such things.

Demoluca, I think most of the replies except one have been respectful. People joining in your thread means they're interested in the subject or discussion, but since it was side-tracked I won't post here on this thread anymore.

TPLG, I thought your replies were good ones. I don't have to agree with someone to respect the intelligence of a good reply. If we all agreed there'd be nothing to discuss.

I'm off this one.

Pepperfire
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Apr 2008, 7:25 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
Pepperfire wrote:

YOU don't ever tell me what to do.

Do your own thing.

I am.

And your bizarre reaction to my innocent little post... is there no small wonder I think you're a troll?

Geez man, take a chill pill.

tmad40blue
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Apr 2008, 8:50 pm

I strongly urge you to post this on the Autism Speaks forums and see what kind of results you get there. I'm curious.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2008, 8:42 am

I was watching some videos on youtube od Jenny McCarthy Oprah, and I really don't like her... she acts like she a 'savior' for autisics and has pulled in Oprah to her cause.

She keeps talking about her 'mommy instinct' and how her life ended after hearing her son has autism. What I really don't like is how she describes how her son got seizures and nearly died... autism dosn't do that! It dosn't kill you. The fact that your letter got removed just shows that Oprah is in the mind-set of 'if you are not on my side, then you are wrong'. She already tells people what to read and think.

People like Jenny want their kids to be 'perfect' and get upset when they do not turn out the way they 'want' them to be, this kind of behavior can lead to 'designer babies' in the future, the creepy thing is that the technology for that purpose is being explored.

The final thing that really annoyed me about her is made her hairstyle drape over her eye, yet she kept waving it back.... she had to have been doing that at least 50 times in the show. Don't have your hari like that if you don't want it in your eye!