African-American Aspies and White Aspies

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2009, 9:53 pm

velodog wrote:
I'm not sure how anyone can have both perspectives as a base for comparison. Might get some interesting replies though.

Yeah, I don't know about who can change from black to white(or vice-versa) except Michael Jackson. :lol:

Those who know, don't speak.

FerrariMike_40
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Feb 2009, 10:18 pm

I'm not black but I remember reading in a book called "Asperger's And Self Esteem" that an important civil rights leader, Paul Robeson, had a lot of traits of AS. He would go on "sermons" without realizing when to stop or how others viewed him, he was reclusive during his childhood and continued to be withdrawn even during his acting career, and had odd singing/performing routines. Just thought I'd mention that...

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 2:07 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
If you are black and an Aspie do you find it harder to be accepted by African-American NTs

yes.

I got better along with the european people in HS :/

Not too many niggas listened to Linkin Park or Powerman 5000.

Then again that were 2 people who were neurodiverse too.. ADD and ADHD :P

Obstinate wrote:
The biggest problem is that in African-American culture things like this are considered blasphemy sadly.

or they're ignant. Tempted to go with blasphemy combined with beating your kids. Yes, somehow you get salvation from a organization that mentally enslaves you and forces you to conform to social BS. Pfft. Liberation my ass. Not to mention the whole 'adopting your conquers religion'

Quote:
It's really based around religion, and according to the Bible, "If you speak it it'll happen.

some guy told me his pastor told his students to put "Jesus is the Answer" in the tests. I didn't know if he was trolling or noe.

NewportBeachDude wrote:
She says that the African American community treats kids with disabilities very poorly because they don't take the time to understand it.

the term you are looking for is "ignant ass n****rs"

Not ignorant. Ignant. Not Nigga. Nigger

Quote:
Also, I've read other articles about African American Autie kids whose parents don't reach out for services and the kids go years having their symptoms neglected.

well arguably my mother is that as an example. Lol she kept talking about sending me to a psychology since I was in f*****g 5th grade. she does it at 16 when she gets tired of being a b***h and hitting me. She SHUTTED THE f**k UP WHEN I AD A DIAGNOSIS

BUT SHE DIDNT LISTEN TO ME BEFORE THEN WHEN I TOLD HER TO TURN WHATEER CRAP DOWN AND I DIDNT GIVE A s**t ABOUT THE MAINSTREAM CULTURE

sartresue wrote:
Apparently, Barack Obama is aware of autism and other challenges. It is hoped in his presidency the attitude towards challenged citizens will be more understanding at least in the US, though to what extent is not clear at this moment.

yet he won't repeal the Patriot Act or Military Commissions act, or end the Drug War.

And he pays attention to what damn dog he's getting for his daughters.

And he had that royal inauguration. INAUGURAL BALS amirite?

Hold that n***a's feet to the fire in the name of 'change'.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/

Screw what is socially acceptable, im bringing the issues of the pariah groups out to the forefront.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 3:39 pm

As an indian aspie i feel more accepted by white NTs then me own indian NTs for some bloody reason.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2009, 11:50 pm

I truly never even considered this. I never consider another in terms of their ethnicity. Really, and I'm not 'just saying that,' I really don't see others as 'black' 'white' or whatever else....in some ways this may be a deficit since I don't understand those social rules of who-is-supposed-to-belong-to-who thingy.

Anthropologists and geneticists know there is no such thing as race but there are ethnicities, of course.
Being Alaskan might be part of why I don't - not mainstream America (yay)!

Autists are autists and this is our diagnostic commonality. This implies we are closer together, as Autists. One's ethnicity isn't of consequence in this instance. We are the neurodiverse.

Oh, I'm of European heritage (ie: sort-of a peachy beige color). And HFA/Aspie!

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 12:26 am

I've actually never met a black aspie as far as I know, but I'm sure they're out there. Black aspie, white aspie, we're all aspies.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2009, 11:00 am

I had, but I didn't know he was autistic at the time. 8)

Nick_Raven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2010, 1:24 pm

ASMJT wrote:
This isn't far from the truth. I am bi-racial("caucasion," and "black," specifically), and this holds water in my case. The problems are only compounded with AS, and I am typically viewed as acting "too white" since I don't jive with socially "accepted" stereotypes of what my "culture" should be. It's beyond ridiculous, really. It is just another form of ignorance and stupidity at it's finest.

This has been my experience. I am also multiracial: various flavours of European, black, and a couple of different First People tribes (Cherokee and Delaware). The worst taunts I received when in school was "talking too white" and "acting too white"...mostly from uneducated or "ghetto" black NT's. And it is not just those individual with whom I've had problems with. I've also had problems with some "redneck" white NT's...the aunt who raised me being one of them. Her most common refrain: "Why can't you just be normal?"

But outside of them, I've not had problems with anyone else.

I have made it one of my personal missions to transcend race. I believe in reincarnation...and I have memories of being several different races, ethnicities, and have been both genders. And even if I didn't or wasn't, I still believe that the soul inside our bodies has no color nor gender. Race is not a biological construct, it is a social and cultural creation. I see a human being when I see the person in front of me. If anything, race may be part of identity while you are in this body...but being solely defined by your race is a whole 'nother matter.

I think sometimes the problem within any social/ethnic group is an attempt to make others conform...perhaps out of fear of being conquered/harmed/dominated by outsiders. I blame the fear urges from the reptilian part of our brains. "Argh! Hiss! Different! Threat! Musts be changed or desstroyed!" We fear what we don't know or understand...and if we give in to those fears, we will either a) attempt to make that other person conform, or b) we will ostracise/shun/hurt them. This is a sad feature of human beings, but nonetheless true. And I think it's this reptilian based fear that makes people react like this...which is why I think ethnic Aspies get it worse from their own groups. Unfortunately, we cannot make everyone be loving or understanding.

"Never let go of that fiery sadness called desire." -- Patti Smith

SCordeliaB
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Mar 2010, 1:31 pm

Yeah me and my brother have had a hard time, with bullying and s**t growing up

LiendaBalla
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 1:51 pm

I noticed more NT blacks take shy behavior personaly than NT whites. They seem to more often assume the person whoes shy or such has a problem with them. Just my observation, as I'm a cocasion... you know.

I noticed some of these social scensitivity traits to continue in adulthood, and the adults are where I draw my conclusion, unfortunatly.

Dnex
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Mar 2010, 5:28 pm

NewportBeachDude wrote:
There's an article in the last "Spectrum" magazine by an African American mother who has three Autistic kids, one of which I think is Aspergers or HFA. She is homeschooling her kids. She says that the African American community treats kids with disabilities very poorly because they don't take the time to understand it.

Also, I've read other articles about African American Autie kids whose parents don't reach out for services and the kids go years having their symptoms neglected.

Does this mean all AAs are that way? Of course not. And, I imagine the better educated the parents are and where they live dictates a lot.

Can you post a link to that article?
And as a black aspie myself, Black Americans are much more likely to be ignorant to disablities in general because of a lack of education in our community, the scars of the past are still very present unfortuanently.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 5:33 pm

I don't think that there is a difference, between black aspies and white aspies. I think that each person has their own personality, whether they're black, or white.

bethaniej
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Mar 2010, 10:33 pm

Well, I'm white, and not and not diagnosed as an aspie, but my daughter is. I spend a lot of time with a black woman both at work and away from work. Our kids have also spent a lot of time together. She had a lot of trouble with my daughter (who is biracial btw) for a long time because of her various difficulties. We've talked a lot over time about how african americans have in general viewed mental health issues. My friend has always joked that all the 'help' most children need is a strap made out of leather (joking again, she doesn't hit her kids). It has taken a lot for her to accept my daughter's diagnosis but she has finally. I think some of this is that historically there has been such a lack of resources (outside of family and church) in the black community...it's kind of a matter of handling your own business. There's also a big fear of black children in the school system being labeled and/or over-medicated.

We went to see my daughter's paternal grandmother in January and it was interesting what she had to say when I very briefly mentioned the diagnosis...she felt like ADHD at least is a diagnosis that's been foisted on black folks. That we should watch while at church to see all the 'folks with adhd who aren't medicated'. I explained that I didn't think my daughter's problems stemmed from her side of the family, but mine (though we have odd genes on both sides). She also said her granddaughter was just bored in school...etc. It's odd because on both sides of the family, they've watched Madison grow up...she's always been so different...how do you not accept that. But again, I think there is a real cultural stigma....well...frankly just in society in general, but to admit to having mental issues in the black community is very different...almost on par with whining.

B (ps, just speaking from experience)

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2010, 10:53 pm

There's a black student at my school whom I suspect might have Asperger's and he doesn't act any differently than white kids with Asperger's.

Nick_Raven
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Mar 2010, 9:49 am

bethaniej wrote:
.But again, I think there is a real cultural stigma....well...frankly just in society in general, but to admit to having mental issues in the black community is very different...almost on par with whining.

Um, yeah. That is what I've experienced too. And observed...namely the stigma of being "off". Believe me, it is worse in small towns (I grew up in a small town). I'd hear adults say, "Don't talk to that person...they're 'off'". And of course with some folks, *everything* can be cured with corporal punishment. *snork*.

But I think the tide might be turning. I haven't noticed that mentality so much anymore. I don't know if this means progress or if the kind of people I am around now are better educated.

"Never let go of that fiery sadness called desire." -- Patti Smith

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2010, 3:10 pm

LiendaBalla wrote:
I noticed more NT blacks take shy behavior personaly than NT whites..

Black America has a ret*d/annoying focus on neurotypical means of behavior more and "being friendly" and "sociable" - e.g. complaining more about going out to places alone, people going out in mid-sized groups/family groupings and whatnot, etc.

Also, in hindsight there were plenty of cool black people who were okay w/weird people :mrgreen:

I think I forgot to mention that. Friendly/allied black people who would've backed me up. I should've talked to some of them more & stuff. Oh well. Yeah.