11 Apr 2008, 6:33 am

i cant do lust and have no pride. :(

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 6:53 am

deathchibi wrote:
i cant do lust and have no pride. :(

I can get a priest to hear your confession if you'd like.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 8:46 am

Considering the news reports about priests how can you trust them?

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:23 am

Sand wrote:
Considering the news reports about priests how can you trust them?

You have to trust them to trust them.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 10:16 am

As far as I am concerned Pride is a cardinal virtue... and there is nary a nobler pursuit than greed.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 10:21 am

Izaak wrote:
As far as I am concerned Pride is a cardinal virtue... and there is nary a nobler pursuit than greed.

For more, please see AYN RAND & OBJECTIVISM.

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2008, 10:59 am

Orwell wrote:
Didn't they just add a bunch of new sins?

Anyways, I've broken most all of the Commandments.

The Catholic church did, though there's really no biblical authority allowing them to do so.

Scorpio82
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

I think there's two kinds of pride. One is the nice normal kind where you're proud of your family, achievements and otherwise. The other kind of pride (the sinful one) is where you become a burden on people because of your stubbornness and won't admit to mistakes.

Fun as they may be, the seven sins are ultimately what will keep you from growing as a person. But I guess it depends on whether the person wants to change to begin with since one path doesn't always work for everyone. You can live for the experiences of today as if it were your last, or you can cast off your indulgences and live for being a wiser, stronger person tomorrow.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 2:54 pm

The deadly sins I have committed:

Sloth
Gluttony (whenever I start eating Pretzels, I can't stop! :wink: )
Anger
Lust

I have a few questions about anger though. What is the difference between anger and wrath? Also, what is the big deal with being angry? It's a very natural emotion that everybody feels. Jesus himself was even angry sometimes. :?

Capriccio
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

It's one thing to feel angry that someone has done something to you, but if you continue to hold on to that anger, it's going to cause a harsh division between you and that person, and that's where the angry person learns that he/she needs to forgive the person for what they did. It's good for them, and good for you, because you no longer need to be weighed down by what someone else did to you.

Jesus did indeed show a lot of emotion in the Bible. There are two instances in which I can remember that Jesus was angry. One was in the Temple, where merchants were selling livestock and sacrificial animals. The obvious grievance here is that the Temple is very restricted in its use, and had to be used in a way that glorified God, and no other purpose, since it was considered God's holy place. A friend of mine gave me a little more insight on it. What was happening was the traders were inspecting all the sacrificial animals to make sure they were perfect, unblemished, and without defect or disease, as was the standard for sacrifice. They would tell the person, "Sorry, this animal is not suitable," then would try to sell them one they said was suitable. After that, they took the "unsuitable" creature and sold it to the next person. Christ was heavily grieved that His Father's house was being turned into a den of robbers, and that's why He drove them out. All of this was an extreme offense.

The second instance I remember is where Jesus was talking to the Pharisees, who took many of the Old Laws in the Bible that had to be followed at the time, blew them completely out of proportion, and heavily oppressed those under them. They would try and set standards of right living as to be able to say that they were righteous enough for God through their own works, and they got good at it. For example, the law about the Sabbath; they would lay down rules such as, "You are not allowed to walk more than 3/4 of a mile during the course of the Sabbath day," or, "You cannot carry anything in your pockets because that is considered bearing a burden, but if you pin it to your clothes, it is not, because then it's part of your clothing." The disciples went into a wheat field one day and picked the heads off of grain stalks because they were hungry, but the Pharisees got angry because that was considered "working." Not only this, but the religious leaders were far from actually righteous. Jesus referred to them as "whitewashed tombs," "cups clean on the outside but filthy on the inside." They tried to appear good before men, but behind closed doors were much different. These were the men responsible for conveying God's laws and teachings to the people, and they were corrupting everything about it.

As for wrath, it's a bit harder to explain I think. It doesn't always derive from bitterness against a person as holding a grudge does, but is more associated with a source of power, like a king or God Himself, and may be more or less stemmed from the need for justice or correction of a severe wrong.

As for me, I'm not much of a pretzel person; I tend to like barbecue chips :)

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:45 pm

Capriccio wrote:
As for me, I'm not much of a pretzel person; I tend to like barbecue chips :)

You don't like pretzels?! That's blasphemy in my book! :lol: