Post Good and/or Bad role models for Girls. Can be Anything

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 12:59 pm

I know that we all have a mind of our own. But time and again I here about Anoerexia high among girls as young as 10. Now Anoerexia is a controversy b/c it's also know as a disease but shouldn't alcoholicsm and drug addiction count? I mean with all the celebs going into treatment, what about models in the media? And when they do, why do they keep it a big secret?

Time after time, I'm sick of some of these models who fit the description for anoerexia yet get no publicity for help or treatment like celebs. I think we need to be just as educated about eating disorders as well as drug/alcohol addictions. I wonder what some insecure girls think when they see these types of body images paraded on TV.

Now, I know not all models are thin because they're anorexic. One thing I notice is their limbs aren't so thinly out of proportion and their bones aren't protruding although that can be debatable too.

In fact, they're starting to show women models in a truer light. Yes, the excuse for ultra thin models is it keeps the price of the amount of material used for their show clothes down and that basically they're not there to impress but be like hangers. But let's face it, it is in the public eye and young girls see this stuff even in Teen magazines. I mean and maybe not all of you, but who hasn't looked up to a lady parading like she's the queen with her luscious gown and stoic look.

Anyway, here are examples of healthier looking models who shed a positive light.

Realize too, that plus size models aren't always fat but fit a different body type. I think women should celebrate their independences physically and mentally

Zsazsa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 1:25 pm

It is the television media that dictates the "perfect" slim body and so many young girls fall victim to this idealized image.

Tracy Gold, who starred in the television show, "Growing Pains" was anorexic and is now a healthy woman in her thirties.

Mary Kate Olson has an eating disorder, too and has been in treatment for it. Mary Kate, as a friend of the late Heath Ledger,
apparently uses illicit drugs to help in curbing her apetite for food and maintain her slim weight.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 6:49 pm

all of those skinny pics are photoshopped btw. I've seen the unphotoshopped versions and they are nowhere near as bad.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:23 am

What do you mean by photoshopped?

Besides that, I've seen similar looking models on TV of Catwalk.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:32 am

hale_bopp wrote:
all of those skinny pics are photoshopped btw. I've seen the unphotoshopped versions and they are nowhere near as bad.

I sorta suspected as much. I mean, I've seen unhealthfully skinny girls, but those look more like creatures from a Tales from the Crypt episode.

Personally I think the best approach is to think of your body as a tool, rather than something of purely aesthetic value.

This is more similar to how men are viewed- physically in terms of what they are capable of.

For example, I'm flexible and have a strong lower body with longish legs, so I can out-hike all my male friends. This is kinda awesome, and makes me less likely to wish that I had twigs for legs.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:28 am

This post isn't just about physical beauty. I only used that as an example. I was asking about good role models and bad role models for young girls whether it'd be politics, TV shows, Media, anyone that appeals to the young crowd and how you think they impact girls. Had I known those were photoshopped, I wouldn't have used them. Only things is, on TV they look atrociously skinny too. The pics aren't just part of the story there's more to it in words.

Maybe my example didn't focus on what the real issue of what this topic was suppose to be about. I also posted some positive images of models, not just by size but by their differences.

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 5:36 pm

I'm a big fan of Hypatia of Alexandria, Simone de Beauvoir, and my mother. . . none of whom, to my knowldege, were ever anorexic.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 5:48 am

an example of a good role model would be someone that treats their body with the respect it deserves and uses their talents to the best of their ability to acomplish their dreams.
as for bad role models people like Lindsay Lohan and Amy Winehouse because of the drugs and booze issues. not something one would want to copy.

i don't like that so much attention is placed on a womans dress size. i think women should focus on health rather then losing weight.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:02 pm

I agree.

ford_prefects_kid
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm

The women I look up to the most are the ones that accomplish things and define themselves WITHOUT pushing the gender issue.

Example, I'm not at all a fan of Tina Fey- I think the "I'm a QUIRKY sex object, therefore it's ok!" does not make her a better writer, nor does disparaging statements like "female writers are better than male writers."

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 5:04 pm

ford_prefects_kid wrote:
The women I look up to the most are the ones that accomplish things and define themselves WITHOUT pushing the gender issue.

Example, I'm not at all a fan of Tina Fey- I think the "I'm a QUIRKY sex object, therefore it's ok!" does not make her a better writer, nor does disparaging statements like "female writers are better than male writers."

interesting. . . that's not at all what I've gotten out of my (rather limited--primarily Mean Girls, few other bits and pieces) exposure to Tina Fey's work. To me she seems, unlike many, to have a substantial value for intelligence of female characters--and not just lip service value, but real value. Of course, she removes any teeth from that stance by selling it with the half clad bodies of teenage girls, but she's not on my "deeply annoyed by" list. . and I'm interested in why she's on yours.

Another good role model idea: Sut Jhally, anyone?

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 10:35 pm

I think Jamie Lynn Spears is a worse role model at the moment then her sister Britany Spears. Jamie Lynn was looked up by little girls while Britany is more of a sympthy vote at the moment. Either way, their mom is an idiot who should get her tubes tied and they both need professional help (WHAT KIND OF MOM WOULD WRITE A TELL IT ALL BOOK ABOUT THEIR OWN DAUGHTER!?!?!?!)

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 11:28 pm

ford_prefects_kid wrote:

i do look up to women that accomplish their dreams without pushing the gender issue down peoples throats.

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 9:15 am

As far as female roe models, I dont really have one except for maybe my stepmother. She is ambitious, outspoken and still pushes on with what she believes is right, no matter what the small town social mandate happens to be.

Other than that I will be my own female role model. At least i am in control of my own actions.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 1:38 pm

I can't believe my pics got deleted..... I think.

I look up to Oprah as corny as that may sound. She's probably the only talk show host who's kept her word about many things. She's done a lot of good with her Angel network and contributions to those who need them terribly. I like what she's done to help establish more schools in South Africa.

She's also an Aquarius her birthday's next to mine. Ain't that sweet! :)

Although I probably don't compare. :(

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2008, 7:11 pm

the role model am had was Blackie.
she done more for am than can ever put into words.
she went through a lot in her life,from cat flu as a kitten to chronic bronchitis to cancer,to having one admittedly rough human in childhood.
she fought everything,and kept fighting,she wouldn't let any cat take her food or her bed,she sent the next door neighbours german shephard dog running when it tried to attack her.
she didnt even give in in the end,she had to have help,she died as a sixteen year old with cancer and heart failiure.
am need to think of her a lot more in worst times.

MissConstrue,
try uploading them to http://www.imageshack.us

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!