Better person without drugs, medication, herbs or vitamins?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 1:34 am

Okay I was on singulair at nights, it helped me sleep alittle i guess, but it was my asthma and allergies, helped a lot actually, but I was having bad mood swings and meltdowns were frequent, couldnt really control them, littlest things would set me off, everybody thought i just had a lot of bunched up anger inside of me like usual 8O . Well my mother found out that singulair was causing weird side affects to people making them even sucicidal, so I stopped taking them! I haven't had a serious big meltdown since, I'm not near as angry, and my mood swings aren't a big issue anymore. Drugs change who i am, any type of drug, even its a small change like even less eye contact changes me somehow. This is the same thing that happened to me when I was younger, was a horrible mess due to medication and drugs, one day decided to get off them, became a nicer person. My mother put me on st johns wort, did wonders for me, but i was talking to her about it the other day, and she explained i stopped the st johns wort as well after awhile and felt even ten times happier :) .

Now I just take allegra for allergies, see no side affects, thank the lord hehe, and maybe a benedryl if my sleep is so deprived. Anybody take singulair for your asthma or allergies, if so, stop taking it, see if your behavior changes and you become happier? Anybody find themselves just a much better person without any kind of medicine or drug?

I also stopped my vitamins as well, which i thought was a bad thing, and my st johns wort, but i feel much happier and my family is also thankful for it as well :P ! Anybody ever just find themselves to be a better person without all that extra stuff, like vitmans, herbs, drugs, medication :?:

ShizzleMacDaddy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Apr 2008, 1:45 am

I have noticed that I smile a lot more when I forget to take my medication for ADHD, but I also can be a real jerk when unmedicated.

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 2:18 am

That is great Age :D So glad those nasty side effects have stopped since you stopped all medications. Vitamins can be helpful tho and I have had St johns Wort a few times and it really helped me. I don't need it at the moment tho :)

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 3:28 am

hey thats great uknow everything u take effects your brains and aspies are extremely sensitive to em since our brains are allready wired difrently 8) :lol: but ritalin i have to take really reducses my meldowns much less

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 7:43 am

My husband and I were just talking about our son and his ADHD medication, which he takes not to alleviate ADHD symptoms, but rather to help focus in the classroom. The meds seem to work, with the least amount of side effects, but we notice that we totally enjoy our son more when he takes med vacations on the weekends and whenever school is out. He seems so much happier, so much more confident, creative, just more of HIMSELF!

I look forward to the day when my son's maturity can possibly help him out so that he doesn't have to take any meds. We always think about a TV piece we saw about the CEO of Jet Blue, where the CEO talked about having ADHD and how hard things were as a child, and how as an adult having ADHD was what helped him to be successful and creative.

Kris

The_Cucumber
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 8:01 am

I've never really been on any medication since I'm rather paranoid about influencing my thought process chemically. A side benefit of this is that I've never been tempted by illegal drug use, and I'll probably never smoke at all or drink excessively.

Medication is something I view that should only be used when absolutely necessary, such as when someone's survival is at stake or their quality of life is severely impaired.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:05 am

Vitamins are essential for you to live, so they aren't really to be grouped with synthetic medication. Same as herbs can be extremely helpful, provided you're taking the right ones in the right form for the right things, and in their natural form. Herbs are nature's medicine!!

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Apr 2008, 11:40 am

Good for you, Age1600. :) My parents don't like to think about any kind of drugs unless they're necessary because someone was in the hospital otherwise, so I don't have that kind of story about medicine. But it is always nice to find out that something that's unneccesary is causing bad moods.

LeKiwi wrote:
Vitamins are essential for you to live, so they aren't really to be grouped with synthetic medication. Same as herbs can be extremely helpful, provided you're taking the right ones in the right form for the right things, and in their natural form. Herbs are nature's medicine!!

And come with nature's side effects.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2008, 11:49 am

As long as you take the right amounts of vitamins and minerals you should see no negative side effects unless you are allergic to one of them. Herbs can be just as bad as any synthetic chemical, the only difference is herbs are not regulated by the FDA or anyone else.

I'm glad that you feel better off the drugs, if they do not make you more fit and happy then they are kind of a waste of money. :lol:
I take adderal for ADHD and levoxyl for hyperthyroidism. I am thinking about stopping the levoxyl after reading some stuff about it and how some people have stopped and felt much better with no return of the original problem. My sister stopped and she is actually feeling better than before. Adderal causes no significant side effects that i have observed in myself so i am fine with it.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 11:51 am

Only when taken wrongly. And if you take them properly, any side effects are far less likely and less severe than the isolated, synthetic compounds taken from them and manufactured as >85% of your standard pharmaceutical 'drugs'.;)

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2008, 12:03 pm

True, but that depends on them being taken correctly, which requires research and a little common sense. With research and common sense you could self medicate with most synthetic drugs just as safely. :P
And just because side effects are less likely and possibly less severe does not mean that someone cannot die or suffer from them.

I'm not trying to say herbs are bad, i think it is great that average people still have some methods of treating their illnesses without wheelbarrows of money and a condition that is well studied. But herbs can certainly be harmful, even deadly. Various components of certain snake venoms are likely to be used to treat or cure alzheimers,diabetes,heart disease and other illnesses. They are one hundred percent natural, and if you inject a few hundred MLs of cape cobra venom into your bloodstream you will probably live, maybe even be cured of something, but probably not, and if you are unlucky you might die or lose an arm.

LeKiwi
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:32 pm

I doubt you'll find any herbalist willing to inject you with cobra venom..! ! And of course you can get really sick or die from using herbs; just ask anyone who's been silly enough to eat belladonna or sleep under a datura plant. ;)
But used safely most commonly used ones are fine if you use them in the usual, well-known way (peppermint tea for indigestion, chamomile for calming, parsley for fresh breathe, feverfew for colds and flu, psyllium husk for constipation [that's all Mylanta is...] etc etc) then you're more than likely going to be fine. And if you use other less well-known ones with the help of a herbalist then you're also more than likely going to be fine - also remember that iatrogenic (medical mishap/drug reaction/etc) deaths are the biggest killer in the US today, so you can't really argue standard medicine is without its risks either. With herbal remedies you're using the whole plant rather than isolated, synthetised compounds from it, and that's where the difference lies. :)

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 12:41 pm

I really have no idea. I was scared of meds and that because I thought it would make me complacent and decrease my performance. And I don't mean performance in school and that necessarily, but performance in my head figuring out things and my life outside school and that. I also thought some things would make me depressed, or make me so tired I was unable to do anything and got depressed. Seroquel did the latter to me, even tho I only took a little 25mg tablet 8 times. Celexa helped me in the long run. It made me dumber and more impulsive sometimes but that was needed; you can't be serious and all that all the time or you get depressed and you can't do anything, and it really isn't fun besides. I enjoyed being on it even when I started tho; I didn't care about things in the wrong way, the stressed out way. I was a better person when on it in the sense that I didn't have social anxiety and people found me a nicer person. They thought I was being rude by being shy before. :( It also prevented me from getting depressed after about 6 weeks.

silentchaos
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2008, 1:08 pm

I don't think anyone would inject themselves with cobra venom but i have been mistaken in the past. :lol: I agree with everything you said, especially pharmaceuticals being dangerous. I was merely attempting to point out that cheap,all natural,seemingly benign herbs that you can buy from walmart can be dangerous. I wasn't trying to say that they have no use or shouldn't be taken.

EDIT
Immediately after posting this i realized that a few people actually do inject themselves with cobra venom, namely Bill Haast. He started self-immunizing himself from elapid venoms back in the 1940's. He has been bitten over one hundred times and is perfectly fine, actually better than normal at the age of 91 i believe. Some people have wondered if his health is related to his self-immunization. I think he retired from running a serpentarium that milked snake venom for antivenin a few years ago. Handling mambas at age 80 can't be an easy task. I can't believe i used the venom example when i knew about this, lol. I should think before i type. :lol:

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 1:33 pm

I've found that most, if not all, prescription drugs cause too many side effects to be worth taking in most cases. I use prescription drugs as a last resort for health problems that have a serious impact on my life.

For example, I take a drug for a chronic health problem that causes severe pain otherwise and cannot be treated any other way. However, I manage my depression and anxiety by getting plenty of exercise, eating well, and playing music.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 1:47 pm

My son was prescribed singulair a year or so back when he was having alot of problems with allergies one spring. It made him a little moody, but then he started having horrible nightmares...stopped the singulair and no more nightmares.

Some people are very sensitive to medication and seem to have more side effects, I'm that way myself also.