My parents think that my autism was caused by a vaccine

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mumof5
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Apr 2008, 9:26 am

This is what I was able to find, at a quick look, about genetics and autism.

http://www.autismvox.com/more-on-autism ... c-testing/

In it they say that:

"10% of autism cases are caused by genetic syndromes, such as fragile X or Prader-Willi syndromes."

Now this is not to say that ONLY 10% of autism is ONLY caused by FragileX or Prader-Willi. It is just saying that so far, out of the research that they have done and the genes that they have mapped, that only 10% of people in the study had the markers for FragileX or Praders-Willi in their chromosomes somewhere. Those numbers do not take into effect anything that they haven't discovered yet. (There is also a bit about Chromosome 16 deletion in that article as well.)

Right now they're saying 10%, but you have to keep in mind that genetics is a relatively new science. I look at how very much it has evolved in the last decade or so, and it astounds me. (I minored in genetics in college, and now everything I learned 11 years ago is completely obsolete and worthless knowledge LOL).

It really bugs me when scientists take this "we know everything there is to know about ______" stand point. (This makes them not true scientists but we won't get into that). It is obvious that the scientific community knows squat about autism, which is probably why they're so apt to want to "cure" all aspies and auties :/.

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 5:22 pm

I'd have a big problem if my parents said to me "vaccines caused your autism."
This would just tell me that they haven't looked around the family free for others who have the same symptoms.
Also it would say to me "you're a defect" as they're not looking on the good side of aspergers, just the negative. This normally happens when parents don't go through the grieving process well

Stop talking trash

solid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm

laplantain wrote:
I am quite sure that autism did not cause my son's issues, because it is very obviously genetic in our family.
But what I am starting to see is a weakened immune system component to the ones in the family who are affected- allergies, digestive issues, etc. And I am also starting to see a pollution/stress component as well.
So the probability that vaccinations contributed to that is not unimaginable. I always ignored the whole argument, until I started seeing how much diet and lifestyle changes (using natural household cleansers, etc.) not only affected my son's symptoms but also improved his allergies. So instead of coughing 9 months out of the year, he is breathing free and now has the energy to run around at the park, completely unmedicated (thanks to a very wise allergist).

So I am going to be a lot more careful this year about the last 4 shots that he needs to get before Kinder. He is not going to get them when he is sick or on antibiotics, I am going to give him vitamin C the day before/day of/day after, and I am going to do them one at a time and space them out, avoiding flu seasons.

But the vaccine argument is pretty much inconsequential for someone who has already been vaccinated, I would think.

Normally the case is that aspies have better immune systems, so there could be an enviromental factor which has gotten into the genes.

Stop talking trash

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

Hiya, I am diagnosed on the AS and my mum is struggling with where I got it from!! But hey ya know what we call those on the spectrum ( whatever the diagnosis) jellybeans! And guess what it takes a jellybean to create a jellybaby! Sooooo my question is WHICH one or maybe both of your parents is a jellybean!?? One of them is and my guess is that they have a certain degree of Oppostional Defiance Disorder to go with it!

My mum insists she is not a jellybean but she is more deeply entrenched than ME and I am deep! My dad is a nasty narcissistic ODD/CD Asperger so what chance did I stand of being anything other than a jellybean!??

Trouble is if they are not willing to accept the concept or idea then it is a waste of space trying to change them! Just accept that you are right to think and know it is genetic and that you have more Theory of Mind than they do! Think about it, one of your parents at least is a bit different!

Sorry if I am butting in, just my thoughts! To call someone a jellybean is so much kinder than the horrid labels we get landed with!

Night night folks x :wink:

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:25 pm

Actually, because AS is believed to result from a COMBINATION of genes, you don't need for either parent to actually have it. They only have to carry some of the genes, and the other some more, which when combined in a new way in the child will result in the actual condition. Which is why the genetic factor can be tricky for parents to see.

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:37 pm

I realise that BUT to be honest from the work I have done ( I have done a lot!) every child I see always points to one of their parents when asked who they are like in ways! Of course with a neurotypical + jellybean you have equal chances BUT with 2 parents on the spectrum the liklehood is high that they will have a jellybaby!

I have NEVER been a believer of the MMR scandal. I believe Wakefield will be getting a verdict soon, it is dragging on and on and on! I am ashamed that my training hospital was implicated in this nasty sorry mess. In my opinion Wakefield should take a look at himself, but to me ( I repeat MEEEEEEE!) he looks like the biggest jellybean of all.........................how inappropriate to pay for childrens blood at a birthday party! I mean! 8O 8O 8O Lets hope he gets the punishment he deserves for frightening a whole planet into endangering their childrens lives by NOT protecting them against deadly diseases!

Genetics, genetics and more genetics, that is the only way to go. I am on the spectrum, I have 5 children by 2 Dads and they are all on the spectrum too! Genetics are very powerful!

Ohhhh by the way YES we are ALL diagnosed! :wink:
Its kinda fun when EVERYONE is in the same boat, we all tell each other off when we are out of order! Jellybeans but happy ones! Night night peeps! x :wink:

mollyandbobsmom
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Apr 2008, 8:07 pm

I can totally see where my son got his AS when I look at our family tree. I see clear evidence in our genetic background. He is not defective, he is exactly the way he is supposed to be. I can't "blame" vaccines or even our "faulty" genes because I don't see that there is anything wrong with him that I need to blame anything or anyone for. It might be helpful for your parents to visit WrongPlanet. They might find some useful info here. I came as a parent to find out info to help my son and I am so glad I found this community.

NayNay2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Apr 2008, 9:19 pm

I also don't believe that my son got AS from any vaccines b/c the started to show signs or symptoms before he was suppose to get the shot. And since we had spoken to his doctor about our thoughts about having him tested she didn't give him the shot on purpose so that they wouldn't then say -yeah its b/c he got this shot now he has _________. So I will never believe its based on that theory.