Does anyone have a problem with seat belts?

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

craola
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2008, 1:02 pm

I can just about wear a seat belt in the front, but I have always had issues with the back of the car and wearing a seat belt. I can wear the middle one if im alone, but if there others sitting in the back then there is no way I can sit in the middle.
My parents have stopped trying to make me now and generally just let me lie in the back or get me to go in the front. I think its related to my sensory issues. But then maybe its an unrelated quirk.
Does anyone else have any problems with cars?
Any suggestions of dealing with it?

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:06 pm

Yes! I can't stand seatbelts, they always feel like they're suffocating me.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:09 pm

I can't handle sitting in the back of a car. Period.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Apr 2008, 2:14 pm

Oh god, I hate seatbelts. >< Complete bane of my existance. Because I'm short it always rubs my shoulder and makes me feel sick. And if it's twisted it's even worse, and my siblings always twist them. I'm so glad I'm pretty much free of the damn things now. Plus, being the eldest gives me rights to sit in the front when I do have to, so I can adjust the height.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:14 pm

I have no problems wid seatbelts im perfectly fine wid dem.

Binarycow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2008, 2:18 pm

I don't wear them.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:51 pm

Sit where you must to be comfortable, but you must wear the seatbelt. It is probably illegal to not wear the seatbelt in the front wherever you live, and consider the possibility of being injured in an accident, which will surely cause more sensory problems than the seat belt did! It's silly, the trouble people I know will go through to continue with a lazy habit, while risking fines and needlessly subjecting themselves to an increased risk of injury.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 2:59 pm

am get set off by them when they start touching bare skin and neck/chin.
have no problem with tightness though.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

09 Apr 2008, 3:02 pm

I used to hate wearing them when I was little. I hated the way it felt on me, I hated the fact being strapped down. My parents never strapped me in my high chair or in my stroller when I was a baby because I'd be screaming if they did.

My little brother also hated wearing them too. He said they make him feel like he is being choked.

I think everywhere in the USA you must wear a seatbelt. Montana used to not have that law but when we moved there, they made it a law because they wanted more lives to be saved. Most deaths from car accidents were caused by not wearing a seatbelt.

Binarycow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2008, 3:10 pm

sgrannel wrote:
Sit where you must to be comfortable, but you must wear the seatbelt. It is probably illegal to not wear the seatbelt in the front wherever you live, and consider the possibility of being injured in an accident, which will surely cause more sensory problems than the seat belt did! It's silly, the trouble people I know will go through to continue with a lazy habit, while risking fines and needlessly subjecting themselves to an increased risk of injury.

If its my time to go, its my time to go. I won't do anything to hasten the process (smoking, drinking, etc), but that doesn't mean that I will do things to slow it down (seat belts, medicine, etc)

Just my opinion.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 3:31 pm

Binarycow wrote:
sgrannel wrote:

If its my time to go, its my time to go. I won't do anything to hasten the process (smoking, drinking, etc), but that doesn't mean that I will do things to slow it down (seat belts, medicine, etc)

Just my opinion.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I have completely avoided injury in 2 minor accidents by wearing the seatbelt. I probably would not have died anyway, but it doesn't make sense to say you have no control over when it's your time to go. We're responsible for what we do, not the man in the sky. The world would be a better place if everyone could absorb this fact into their minds and take responsibility for their actions.

Even if you don't die in any accident, the benefit of avoiding injury (which could be tens of thousands of dollars worth of suffering, damage, medical costs) far exceeds the cost of taking an extra 5 seconds to put the seatbelt on every time you get into the car.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 4:32 pm

i like its pressure,
dislike it when rubbing my skin (i will often (unvoluntarely) put my hand between the belt and my neck)

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 5:10 pm

lemon wrote:
i like its pressure,
dislike it when rubbing my skin (i will often (unvoluntarely) put my hand between the belt and my neck)

Without one on, i feel terrified, flung about inside the car.
With one on, I feel annoyed & irritated.
It was worse when I was a kid, because the strap (in front) kept cutting across my neck-now it squishes my chest, which is uncomfortable but tolerable.
Back seat of car makes me sick (er) from motion, and the belts usually are worse in many ways compared with front seat ones.

Grey_Kameleon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

I always squirm under seatbelts. I don't really know why.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2008, 6:30 pm

The one in the front is ok because I squirm around but I just can't wear one in the back.
A sort of friend had bucket seats in his car which had harnesses which were loads better, I liked those, and im ok if they are across the lap but I can't wear a seat belt in the back.
The thing is my brother (im 20 he is 16) won't wear one either but he is just being a pain and says if I don't he won't, my parents are only just coming to understand everything.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2008, 6:49 pm

Yes, I wear it under my arm.