Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 12:09 am

At school I am on a meal plan. 2 meals a day plus two bonus meals should I choose to bring a guest.

Anyways, everthing related to my meal plan is done through EFT type transaction. Essentially, my ID cards doubles as a credit card. It has on the back magnetic strips that serve various functions.

When I go to the food commons, I have to get my card swiped by an attendent. When this attendent does so, I always make it a point to say thanks to person.

Anyway, one of the attendents has recently begun to refer to me by first name. I'll approach and she'll say something like "how are you doing today scott?" while swiping my card. I'll say a few words, thank her, then grab a tray and fill it up.

That didn't bother me too much, our names are on our ID cards so I figured she might do this to other people too.

However, friday afternoon at 2pm as I was leaving and they were closing, I walked past her as she was cleaning off tables.

"Have a good weekend Scott" she said to me

This made me feel uncomfortable, this is out of the ordinary. I don't think she's ever said that to anyone, at least not that I've seen.

I don't know what to think? Am I being too nice with out realizing it, or is there a certain amount of "rudeness" I should be displaying?

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 12:18 am

She's probably not accustomed to people actually being nice to her in her job. There's nothing wrong with saying thank you in that situation. It's just that most people don't bother, so she's being nice to you in return.

Tim_p
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 1:10 am

I agree with Ghotistix, you're being very nice, but there's nothing wrong with that. To me it seems the attendant apreciates your kindness.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 1:31 am

I agree. They probably don't get much social interaction during the day and appreciate even a little bit of kindness. Don't think of it as creepy.

On the other hand, he or she could be bitter, so be glad he or she is not!.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 1:34 am

It is nicer to be nice than to start being rude. My family had a problem with me not saying Thank You and things like this. They got on me to start doing this, it is some times hard for me to do. If You are nice people they are nice back at You. I myself have to some times think about being nice.

So it is better to be NICE than RUDE.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 1:47 am

nah, scoots - you're being you. i put massive value on courtesy. she's probably reciprocating - i should thank that few students actually treat her as a human being rather than a breathing till (happens a lot withsuch jobs, i fear).

anyway - you've made an acquaintance! woo hoo! :D

Dej
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Oct 2005, 3:20 am

She's just being friendly with you...thanks all. If it makes you uncomfortable then just tell her your thoughts, people like these don't know unless you tell them. Or you could just smile and go about your business

oatwillie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2005, 9:36 am

Gadzooks! What if more and more people exhibited such behavior! This could reach epidemic proportions! Forget the avian flu, the blue bird of happiness flew up somebody's nose to infect and propogate a virulent outbreak of goodness that could only result in the world becoming a better place.

Congratulations to you both for being fine people. Keep it up. You may become more than just acquaintances and your courtesy may become contagious.

Sacred Cows make the tastiest hambuger.

visualize whirled peas

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 9:59 am

Yes indeed. Good show, ol' man! *cyber-pats Scoots on the back*

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 12:36 am

I second that. You seem the right kind of nice. The REAL nice. Nothing can really ever take that away from you.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 2:07 am

Umm. I really don't think you should be intentionally rude. I'd be flattered. she obviously has taken a liking to you. or she thinks your crazy and feels sorry for you but I doubt it's that. I think you should continue on as usual.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 7:59 am

As most people seem to have said: it's called being friendly and more people should do it!

WooYayHooplah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 11:46 am

I am like that with everyone and people tend to wish me a happy weekend etc... it is normal. People are friendly to you if you are friendly to them.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 2:27 pm

I have no intentions of being rude. It justs seems odd that I'm getting the good treatment from grown-up's when my own peers would not.