Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Being screamed at by evangelical preachers, because I am liberal and could be classified as a hippie/hipster based on my interests and beliefs. (plus I don't agree with evangelical ideologies--this is why I prefer mainline Protestantism--Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc.)

I fear being harassed by the police for the same reason.

That doesn't seem irrational to me.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

I had them.

As a young child, at the time when I struggled with personal communication, I feared faces and eyes. I'd go and turn magazineswith faces on them upside down, bury dolls and hide from paintings which showed people (at my grandma's). I spent a fair share of my early childhood years hiding under tables, blankets, in boxes, behind furniture. It took years for somebody to 'get it'.

I love my mother for not having any dolls or pictures or magazines with eyes on them in our apartment ever.

I won't go hiding any more. But seriously, a feeling of irrational discomfort is still lingering. I find myself turning around magazines often. And I have no dolls in my room. And neither any paintings that show people.

Totally irrational.

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 4:10 pm

I have the fear of the government spying on me for no reason. I love how they spy. As my saying goes, I love the gov! I have had this fear since 9/11 and it might not be an irrational fear. In fact it is not a fear at all because they ARE spying on me for no reason so it isn't just a fear because they are actually doing it. They are spying on you too for no reason and it is all because of 9/11. Everyone is a terrorist! Even though there is no evidence saying that you are and the government will probably plant the evidence just to get you! Like I said before, I love the gov.

quirky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

I'm terrified about new situations that I can't picture myself in (If I can imagine them, I'm fine), intersections when driving and other difficult things while driving, being around people with stomachaches (it's really odd I've explained it before - that's my biggest fear), getting my wisdom teeth out, getting an IV, having surgery and having the anesthesia fail, failing in my profession life, becoming more of an insomniac, becoming a drug addict....there's lots. Actually, not all are irrational - some of those are pretty scary.

Apuleyo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2008, 4:20 pm

I'm afraid of elevators. My blood pressure drops when I'm going up in one.
Also I'm afraid of being in a tall floor. 4th floor onwards I feel dizzy. It's worse when I'm both going to a high floor in an elevator.

Luckily for me there are very few tall buildings where I live, most aren't taller than 10 or 15...

But even a 4th floor is enough to make me feel bad and weak.

Usually the day I'm in one of those, I have awful nightmares.

But high altitudes, like being in a mountain or climbing down a cliff, that doesn't scare me. It doesn't make sense.

Aspie_Rocker
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2008, 4:22 pm

School, car rides (specifically a head on collision with a semi on the highway), paralysis, and death

Tormod
Raven
Raven

11 Apr 2008, 4:26 pm

When I was little, I was terrified of elevators. I thought that above the elevator there lived a ghost, who would make the elevator crash by cutting off whatever it was that usually kept it from doing that.

And I had nightmares about ending up on the wrong floors several times, then ending up on the roof, where a giant robot leg would kick me down to my death.

It was very scary. And I was also afraid of keyholes, and a large teddy bear.

But all those fears are gone now.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 4:40 pm

nah I don't have any

Apuleyo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2008, 4:52 pm

Lucky you, then.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2008, 9:40 pm

Jainaday wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Being screamed at by evangelical preachers, because I am liberal and could be classified as a hippie/hipster based on my interests and beliefs. (plus I don't agree with evangelical ideologies--this is why I prefer mainline Protestantism--Lutherans, Episcopalians, etc.)

I fear being harassed by the police for the same reason.

That doesn't seem irrational to me.

I try to conform after I took a history class and I read about what happened at Kent State in 1970. I feel that back then, the National Guard was trying to force fundamentalist Christianity down people's throats.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 2:40 am

Two dogs very badly attacked my dog & I a couple years ago, several others since too but nowhere near as bad (though two last Jan caused my then 72 mum to land on cement, head first) When I was thrown into that life or death drive I haven't been able to switch it off since. I loath people who unleash their dogs - blatantly breaking the leash law, or let them roam around their front yards loose without a fence (also breaking local leash law) I don't walk my dogs in neighborhoods because of them & going to the park feels like going to war. Is this irrational fear? :D I keep getting proof of reason to fear. :evil:

Apuleyo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Apr 2008, 9:49 am

If a dog attacks you kick him in the nose! It's the dog's equivalent for balls, but females have it too!

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 1:51 pm

Fire, disease, dogs, corrupt police, corrupt people in places of authority and body bugs (head lice, bed bugs, etc.).

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

12 Apr 2008, 3:49 pm

When I was a young child I had a highly irrational fear of chairs with patterns on them. I would not sit on a chair with a pattern unless it was covered with a towel. I have no idea why i feared patterns on chairs.
I also irrationally feared cotton dangling from my clothing. If I saw some, I would scream, cry...and sometimes even vomit! 8O

I have a fear of death now because I don't want to lose the ability to have thoughts. I love my brain! I'm not sure if that fear is irrational or not.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 3:54 pm

Irulan wrote:
I was also afraid, I recalled now, that my teeth could fall out one day and that I'd look stupid then :D .

I am also afraid to lose my teeth, I really hate some of the dreams I have about me loseing my teeth.

ccflowergirl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2008, 5:18 pm

Nothing scares me , the woman of stone, one man ore beast, snake or snail only one small thing -to starve to death. Starvation