Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 3:12 pm

I'm just curious to what you are good at

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 3:32 pm

Just to let you know, you misspelled "Pythagorean". I took quite a few math classes in my day. After all, wasn't it Galileo who said "Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe" (He probably had the Catholic church about to excommunicate him...)? If we are to understand the universe (science), wouldn't it be nice to understand the language of the universe? ;)

QuirkyCarla
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 7:12 pm

I'm not taking math right now and am damn proud of it.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 8:33 pm

The next mathematics class I'm going to have to take is Calculus 3, but I loathe it. I definitely don't want to take any more math. It gets excrutiatingly difficult at the higher levels. I think I've seen the cap of my intelligence in calculus. I just don't have the will to go beyond it.

Sarcastic_Name
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2005, 8:37 pm

I'm taking geometry online...because I failed it twice in real life. :(

I take Algebra 2 next semester in school, I'm great at Algebra! :D

mjs82
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 3:56 am

I have done Post-Advanced Calculus amongst others, it was an early strand in my uni engineering degree. Maths is the fundamental dynamic of the universe.

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

10 Oct 2005, 6:50 am

I took Maths B and Maths C which covered basic high school calculus.

However, I did come up with a primitve version of the Difference of Squares theorem when I was in the sixth grade, two years before it was taught in class. What I theorized (and even wrote as algebra two years before I learnt algebra concepts) was this:

(a-1) * (a+1) = a^2 - 1

It was basically difference of squares, except the second number was always 1. I worked this out by noticing a pattern in the times tables in my head and applying it to all the numbers. Of course, I was doing this mentally in class, while struggling to do the work that was actually being taught at the time (which was often not maths based!). :wink:

I laughed at myself when I saw the full formula for the first time in class... two years after I made my own mini-discovery. I was like 'I've done this!!' :lol:

Given the fact that the Difference of Squares is fairly simple, I just picked my level as calculus.

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 12:19 pm

Namiko wrote:
Just to let you know, you misspelled "Pythagorean". I took quite a few math classes in my day. After all, wasn't it Galileo who said "Mathematics is the language with which God has written the universe" (He probably had the Catholic church about to excommunicate him...)? If we are to understand the universe (science), wouldn't it be nice to understand the language of the universe? ;)

Excomunication at that time meant being brought before the inquisition and facing death or imprisionment. Galileo did spend a long time in house arrest for his discoveries. The sad part was that there was that he was labeled a heretic for discoveries that never contradicted the Bible.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 12:29 pm

I was unable to vote in the poll. I am taking intermediate algebra... reluctantly. I hate math.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 4:54 pm

I love Math, I have created a few theorems that might work. I just need to work on them.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 7:09 pm

I HARE math! I'm in algebra A which is the lowest at my school besides pre algebra. Math must DIE!

SpaceCase
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 7:11 pm

I HATE MATH!! !!!I HATE IT WITH A PASSION!! !!!But I am in Geometry now.

-SpaceCase :x

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 7:17 pm

I did some calculus at uni, but reached my limit in an operational research course and realised I barely understood what I was trying to calculate... I failed that module, lol :oops:

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 7:20 pm

don't feel bad. I probably won't even get that far!

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2005, 9:25 pm

The next math classes I will be taking (and the last no doubt) will be two shots of Psych Statistics, Intro and Advanced.

I know. It's a soft math.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2005, 10:23 pm

Math sucks. Just ask Jimmy Buffet.

It was always my least favorite topic in all of school, the one I did worst at. In college, I had to take the most basic of all math courses, lowest caliber, called "Selected Topics in Math", which I failed with flying colors. I didn't even pass a single test. I had to retake the course over the summer in order to get a C-. Now I don't have to take any math courses at all, and I don't miss them. Though for some reason, IQ and SAT test scores seem to think I have a decent Math IQ.