Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 11:55 am

Roxas_XIII wrote:
Ragtime wrote:
Is there a magic spell for bras? :wink:

The tart did it for publicity.

(jk, J.K. :P)

Hardy hardy har har har.

Ragtime, your pronouncements of condemnation will come back to you when you can least defend them, the belief system you espouse warns you and confirms it.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2008, 5:19 pm

A good magic spell to invent would be one that counters stupidity on the part of ignorant people... oh wait, i remember now, there is one. Avada Kedavra! :twisted:

Hmm... one of my better quotes. I'm putting that as my sig.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2008, 4:41 am

Really pretty purple dress. She looked great. Flash on Rowling!!

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 7:02 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
A good magic spell to invent would be one that counters stupidity on the part of ignorant people... oh wait, i remember now, there is one. Avada Kedavra! :twisted:

It's "Abacadabra" not "Avada Kedavra." Be sure before you add your quote.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 7:06 pm

I got all worked up for nothing

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:17 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Roxas_XIII wrote:

It's "Abacadabra" not "Avada Kedavra." Be sure before you add your quote.

No, i think you misunderstood me. I meant to say "Avada Kedavra" because that is the incantation AS PRINTED in Harry Potter books IV-VII for a curse designed to eliminate life from the person/animal at which it is cast. "Abracadabra" is just a mispronounciation.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:39 pm

Harry Potter is not meant to be a primer on History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abracadabra

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 1:38 am

slowmutant wrote:
Harry Potter is not meant to be a primer on History.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abracadabra

it's not a primer on the practice of Magical Evocation, either.

Merle

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 6:26 am

Abracadabra is NOT a mispronunciation. The phrase you used is a corruption of this one. You've got it backwards.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 3:56 pm

slowmutant wrote:
Abracadabra is NOT a mispronunciation. The phrase you used is a corruption of this one. You've got it backwards.

They're talking within the series' continuity.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 5:27 pm

DejaQ wrote:
slowmutant wrote:

They're talking within the series' continuity.

Thank you. As he said, I am talking about the incantation for the Killing Curse from Harry Potter. Obviously none here but DejaQ and I has bothered to read the series, but if you're going to question my spelling, at least know what it is i'm talking about. My signature is as it is supposed to be and I would appreciate less misinformed comments about it. Good day.

Come to think of it, this is one of the situations in which my signature could apply...

just-me
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 8:53 pm

I've read the books. I read the last one in 2 weeks i just couldn't out it down.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 9:37 pm

What kind of a world would we have if that's all it took to kill someone, two little words? Obviously I haven't read all the books in JK's series. Didn't even finish #1. So in the Harry Potter universe, can someone just use the murder-spell casually? Any limitations on its use? Must the intended victim be able to see/hear the caster of this spell? Maybe I could just think of someone I wanted dead and then ...

And where does all this magickal power come from, anyway? I've seen the first HP movie, and there doesn't seem to be any consequences for distorting the laws of nature as they do. Whatever happend to the Threefold Law? :? :?:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm

slowmutant wrote:
What kind of a world would we have if that's all it took to kill someone, two little words? Obviously I haven't read all the books in JK's series. Didn't even finish #1. So in the Harry Potter universe, can someone just use the murder-spell casually? Any limitations on its use? Must the intended victim be able to see/hear the caster of this spell? Maybe I could just think of someone I wanted dead and then ...

And where does all this magickal power come from, anyway? I've seen the first HP movie, and there doesn't seem to be any consequences for distorting the laws of nature as they do. Whatever happend to the Threefold Law? :? :?:

(psssssst. . .they know they are just playing magic, they know it is a game. That's the fun of having their own knock knock jokes. They have suspended their disbelief for a good yarn. They are having their own club, got the handshake and the card and the key to the second floor girls' lavatory.)

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 3:22 pm

slowmutant wrote:

Warning: Spoilers ahead - Highlight to read

Actually, the Avada Kedavra is one of three Unforgivable Curses, which is worth a life sentence in Azkaban if caught and convicted (Azkaban is wizard jail, which is much worse than normal jail thanks to the dementors), so you don't just use it casually. NTM the fact that it is a difficult spell to pull off, requiring a large portion of one's magic as well as a large amount of hatred towards the recipient of the curse... you have to WANT them to die right then and there for it to work. And finally, if someone kills another person using the curse, the is some damage done to their soul, the effects of which are mysterious but are one of the driving factors behind the plot of the story, as the damage can be used to create a Horcrux, an item that grants immortality at the cost of a part of one's soul (Which Voldemort does several times over). Generally, wizards who damage their souls this way are less powerful in ways, and are evil past the point of redemption.

So as to your question, no, it's not something someone would just use out of the blue, as there would be serious consequences for the caster, conseqences that would cause a decent wizard to think twice before using it. OF course, Voldemort and his Death Eaters use it constantly on Muggles and wizards, but they are the bad guys of the series, and don't really set much by wizarding laws. In other words, there's no physical limit to using the curse, but there are serious conseqences to using it that limit it's use.

End spoilers