PEOPLE WITH ASPERGER SYNDROME UN OR UNDEREMPLOYED

Page 2 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cd1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 8:29 am

krex wrote:
cPerhaps all you hear is "complaints' because you are looking for a way to feel superior to other people? That seems to be another reason that people come to WP...they are usually the ones pointing fingers and telling others that they should stop feeling sorry for themselves and just "get over it".

If you could find a single post I've made with that message, I'd sure appreciate seeing it, since I'm not here for that reason. I know I'm on the mild side of the spectrum. I also have a son who is farther towards the center than I am. I am here, mostly, to provide a positive message that AS is not a concrete sentence to unemployment, loneliness, and impairment. This forum is more negative than positive. That's the nature of the internet and the WP forum is no different. Few people are motivated to write when things are good - but they sure want someone to listen when things are bad. There are many of us out there that have had success despite AS and I strongly feel that if more of us get a good look at that then more of us will find ways to succeed. What good is having positive examples if they stay quiet?

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:33 am

It's not just the internet. You don't hear good stuff on the news too often either.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of the aspies who's done well, but I recognize some of us have. For those who are doing well, there's a good chance that what you have to say may benefit others.

Most of us have deep interests, but some of us have interests with no value in the economy. Social skills are essential for any degree of success in most jobs. Not all jobs, but almost all jobs.

Some things don't change as people get older. Aspies in the workplace very often encounter the same difficulties as aspies in elementary school.

Not every aspie is an engineer.

Reminds me of a non-fiction story told by the black comedian Eddy Murphy. He was standing in a parking lot late one night. A pickup truck full of drunk rednecks cruised past. The truck turned around and slowly drove back toward him and he figured he was in deep trouble. There was nobody around.

Then one of the rednecks said, "Hey, it's Eddy Murphy."

"Eddy Murphy," said another of the rednecks, "How's it going, man," and the truck drove off.

The only thing he could think of was: What would have happened if I hadn't been Eddy Murphy?

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

cd1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 Apr 2008, 9:53 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Not every aspie is an engineer.

It's true - but I've also made money coaching baseball, landscaping, painting houses, making sandwiches, baking... sometimes the key, when a person's primary difficulty is social, is just learning to keep one's mouth shut and work one's ass off. That's how I handled it before I was an engineer. Can't get yourself in trouble if you keep quiet and every small business boss loves someone who busts tail for their whole shift, doesn't call in sick, and doesn't "mouth off".

It can be done, just keep trying! :D

kornik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2008, 10:13 am

I think that this is really sound advice.

The other good thing about taking an intern or short term position is that it negates going through ther interview process and having to compete against a lot of other people.

quote="cd1"]Try going to a college that has a strong internship program. Get the job by having solid experience as an intern to open doors. Worked for me. Once in, work harder than the guy next to you. Performance is incredibly valuable.[/quote]

Jon-Jon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jun 2009, 1:18 pm

I have never had satisfying work. I'm 48 years old. I've been a bus driver for 13 years and every day is a struggle.

I do have a favorite activity that I'm quite good at: Socrates Cafe. It's a philosophical discussion group. google it, it's everywhere. Unfortunately what makes it good is no one gets paid. I have done some sincere research and found no job that comes close to what I do well at the "Cafe".

taxman
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2009, 2:12 pm

I was underemployed all through my 20s, although I was lucky enough to find a job that paid well enough [for the area] and provided benefits. I don't think that was Asperger's so much as me just making bad choices in college regarding my major.

I guess in a sense, though, that might have been related because I wasn't willing to compromise by studying something "marketable" and taking electives in my "special interest" courses.

I do wish I could be one of those who was interested in engineering, computers, and other technology, but sadly, I'm not. I'm just looking for a job I can tolerate, doesn't stress me out too much, and pays enough in order for me to survive.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 2:35 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Some of us who don't work, including myself, are students.

And they called ME a 'professional student' when I haven 't even been in school for four years yet ! Students still need finances and student loans cost a lot in the long run. Become a professor or teacher, then you are in your own isolated community.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 2:43 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Not sure what "plenty" means, but it's safe to say that employment is a common problem among aspies.

I think the causes are few and simple. We give the impression of being stupid, we don't inspire respect, and people don't like being around us.

A lot of us have trouble getting good jobs for the same reason we have trouble getting friends or girlfriends or boyfriends.

Why don't they like being around you and why do you think we don't inspire respect? I would really like to know.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 2:45 am

shopaholic wrote:
Those of us with the problem are the ones who have not found a career that suits them.

The IT bods are the lucky ones, because AS traits seem to be more "accepted" in that kind of environment.

In my case it is "not being able to apply" my skills that is part of the problem, and not being able to "sell" myself at an interview that is the other part.

(I am employed, but "stuck" in a job I am unsuited for, struggling through just doing enough to get by, with no possibility of advancement.)

funny you should say that about the IT people. I have been working in a loud crazy hellish telemarketing office. The computer repair guy came in and he was so calming, so much better acting than them, that I wished I could just leave with the computer repair guy!!

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 2:58 am

velodog wrote:
I was underemployed for 11 years working a series of bad paying jobs. In 1994 I started working a technical field again and from that job went to the Union hall when I got pissed at my boss. I took a stack of various school certificates and took a test that had electrical theory, motor controls and mechanical principals and got on book 3. 13 months later I took an upgrade test and was recognized as a Journeyman Inside Wireman. This job is excellent, I don't have to do another job interview ever. Before I left my job previous to the union I made sure that I told my boss to his face that he was a piece of sh**. Then I told the owner the same thing , along with a detailed list of grievances. When the company could not find anyone to take my place before losing $10 million in sales redirected aggression happened and my former boss was fired! :D Knowing a little
basic Psychology and application can be handy. :twisted:
\\\\

Your boss was fired due to what my grandmother called 'eventually chewing their way out of a job'. doesn't always happen. Many of my former bosses, who I also told off to their face, continue to work for the companies and pay their mortgages and have fine homes while I was out sitting in the park.

Most recently, I had top sales for a company, beating out the veteran employees my SECOND day on the job. I do this so they will leave you alone and stop breathing down your neck as the 'new' person, that is the worst!! Being new is the worst. So, they fire me for being late three minutes when bus broke down ( I take four buses to get back and forth to work, no car). I received a welcome to the company letter from the president of the company shortly after. .. ha ha!

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 3:01 am

CanyonWind wrote:
Far as I know, I ain't got no alphabet soup conditions. I'm just a plain old aspie. I work as a general laborer around a farm.

Not much economic value in knowing how Chinese poetry changed between the Tang and the Sung Dynasties.

There is.. if you become a history or language teacher. Of course, the problem is, you then have to sit through and somehow endure and pass four full years of totally unrelated material in order to get the degree and become said-teacher.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 3:04 am

cd1 wrote:
krex wrote:
cPerhaps all you hear is "complaints' because you are looking for a way to feel superior to other people? That seems to be another reason that people come to WP...they are usually the ones pointing fingers and telling others that they should stop feeling sorry for themselves and just "get over it".

If you could find a single post I've made with that message, I'd sure appreciate seeing it, since I'm not here for that reason. I know I'm on the mild side of the spectrum. I also have a son who is farther towards the center than I am. I am here, mostly, to provide a positive message that AS is not a concrete sentence to unemployment, loneliness, and impairment. This forum is more negative than positive. That's the nature of the internet and the WP forum is no different. Few people are motivated to write when things are good - but they sure want someone to listen when things are bad. There are many of us out there that have had success despite AS and I strongly feel that if more of us get a good look at that then more of us will find ways to succeed. What good is having positive examples if they stay quiet?

Having been giving the 'stop feeling sorry for yourself and get your own help' speech by my own family and parents, here is A POSITIVE EXAMPLE: After many years of job loss, underemployment and unemployment, I secured a job with the third largest library in the nation, wherein I was able to work alone if need be, supervised several people, because I told them how much I loved books and research. Being a library job, it included full benefits, regular pay raises every single year, paid sick days and vacation days, retirement pension and every holiday off, including Columbus Day, Veterans Day, and all the rest.

ww
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2009, 3:08 am

Jon-Jon wrote:
I have never had satisfying work. I'm 48 years old. I've been a bus driver for 13 years and every day is a struggle.

I do have a favorite activity that I'm quite good at: Socrates Cafe. It's a philosophical discussion group. google it, it's everywhere. Unfortunately what makes it good is no one gets paid. I have done some sincere research and found no job that comes close to what I do well at the "Cafe".

My friend and former professor is a Philosophy teacher. She could not get a job anywhere else with that skill, including at Red Lobster. Come on! If you can handle it or get assistance, take philosophy courses and become a teacher.

WyoKnott
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2009, 1:03 pm

I only a couple weeks ago discovered Asperger's syndrome. All the online tests I've taken since then have indicated I have all the symptoms. I have had a lot of trouble over the years keeping jobs because of emotional problems or the way I was perceived by supervisors. I now realize why I have had so many problems, I think. I am currently unemployed - having lost 3 jobs in 3 years. I have been unemployed for 7 months. I've been to several interviews but never got a call back. I suspectI sent some kind of wrong message. I have no insurance so I cannot get an official diagnosis but there is no doubt in my mind. Do any of you have advice for me about diagnosis or the job market?

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Oct 2009, 10:00 pm

Ive been unemployed most of my adult life so far bar a part time library job for three months. There are some days I wish I didn't have AS so I could work and not be a burden on the system but I know that isn't going to change even with all the social skills learn. The people who are meant to help me get a job don't understand me for s**t, and those who have encountered AS people have only seen the real stereotypical ones, i.e not female and looks typical and has been taught fashion since.

jcristedi
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2011, 2:31 pm

I am underemployed and a cpa with an out of state license. also enrolled agent. I have a very small practice and do not get challenging work because I can not market myself well. Have an MBA and a BA from a top college.