Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Apr 2008, 10:37 pm

I love my ipod also. Wear it while bike riding, (no more Cd's skipping when you hit a bump), have a stereo dock at home for it and also the thing where you plug it into your lighter in the car and it plays thru an unused radio frequency. I love how its all my favorite songs and no commercials. Also always wear it in any large store as it discourages interaction, and blocks out everyones chatter. And the PA systems. I HATE those!
Can never go back to CD's now.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

bettybarton
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2008, 8:12 am

yes, i also use mine to cut outside noise off!! i HATE noise!! ! i have had a walkman etc in use every day of my life since i got a walkman for christmas 1984!! i carry spare earplugs in case it breaks when im out and have to listen to other people.
classical music can be real help, since it's longer, and can be more passive to listen to if you have a nocturne or pastoral or something.
its really hard to explain the paradox of using noise to combat niose, but i think it makes a little sense- whta you have is controlled and reasonably constant- even with choruses, beaks etc. but passing down a street one is subject to nises which are nuexpected, constantly varying, uncontrolable, from other people. i also know that i associate some noises with being really annoyed right from the start- eg- listening to a one sided phone call while stuck on a bus will drive me insane in seconds, as i know from experiance its ALWAYS annoying. nistant high blood pressure!! !
try ear plugs- the world is nistantly peaceful!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:20 am

I use it whenever I go outside to a) block out sounds and b) stimulate concentration by additional input.

May seem to be confusing, but music is special for my ears.

Unlike other sounds, music does not irritate, hurt me, distract me. I can't stand a quiet conversation without becoming irritated and unable to do a task while listening. But I can do everything just fine listening to music, no matter how high the volume is.

Music = special for me.

I don't own an IPod though, way too expensive. I just have a regular mp3 player.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:27 am

I take my MP3 player with me everywhere.

I just close my eyes and turn the volume up when I'm out and about; it really helps cut down on my sensory problems.

LadyM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2008, 10:23 am

I love my Ipod, I listen to it all day for the eight hours or so I work.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:34 am

I had a Mp4, but the damn thing broke! :lol:

I like listening to music through earphones, but long periods of having music pumped close to my eardrums for a long period of time gives me a headache, even if in low volume.

DocStrange
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 11:30 am

I love my iPod but I also have an insane amount of CDs and LPs. Many thought LPs died in the early 90's, but several large indie labels and several major labels still press LPs because there's still a huge market of audiophiles like myself ("OK Computer" sounds infinitely better on vinyl, which is noteworthy because on CD it's breathtaking already).

Oh, anyways I have a video iPod, but no videos on it. mostly music. The two things I hate are the fact that shuffle decides I want to hear a song within 20 minutes of last hearing it (sometimes that's good, but sometimes no) and battery life. I'm so obsessive that I must charge the battery if it even goes off full battery by even one bar.

merrymadscientist
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:54 pm

I have an MP3 player but I rarely use it - for one thing I dont like wearing earphones as they make my ears hurt very quickly. Secondly, I need and like to hear what is going on around me most of the time (the thought of walking in the town and not being able to hear things - Id probably get hit by a car in no time). Thirdly, even though I love music I dont often feel like listening to it (at the moment at least) and when I do its normally when Im at home and can use speakers. Fourthly, it just doesnt seem appropriate to listen to music most of the time. I dont want to do it at work (like many do in my lab) as it distracts me, I dont want to do it when walking as I like to hear my surroundings - the only time I do like it is when I am using public transport like a plane or train, but then the hum of the engines normally cuts out the bass and the music sounds rubbish anyway. No, I could easily live without it.

okay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2008, 2:27 pm

I love stimming with my iPod! I love listening to the same song over and over and over. (Different songs at different times though.)

I also like how it blocks out distracting noise.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

An ipod is now standard operating procedure for me, as were its predecessors. It alleviates boredom, blocks out a great number of the more annoying things in life, and (as someone who speaks far too quietly) I find that wearing it in one ear whilst working actually makes me speak louder, thus making me easier to understand. Only downside? Itunes is a bag of crap.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 5:58 pm

Macbeth wrote:
An ipod is now standard operating procedure for me, as were its predecessors. It alleviates boredom, blocks out a great number of the more annoying things in life, and (as someone who speaks far too quietly) I find that wearing it in one ear whilst working actually makes me speak louder, thus making me easier to understand. Only downside? Itunes is a bag of crap.
I have noticed that when talking to my brother , I'd try it when necessary.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 3:13 am

I don't have a iPod but I do have a mp3 player. I love that little thing. It's better than carrying around a big cd player.

Toe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

merrymadscientist wrote:
I have an MP3 player but I rarely use it - for one thing I dont like wearing earphones as they make my ears hurt very quickly. Secondly, I need and like to hear what is going on around me most of the time (the thought of walking in the town and not being able to hear things - Id probably get hit by a car in no time). Thirdly, even though I love music I dont often feel like listening to it (at the moment at least) and when I do its normally when Im at home and can use speakers. Fourthly, it just doesnt seem appropriate to listen to music most of the time. I dont want to do it at work (like many do in my lab) as it distracts me, I dont want to do it when walking as I like to hear my surroundings - the only time I do like it is when I am using public transport like a plane or train, but then the hum of the engines normally cuts out the bass and the music sounds rubbish anyway. No, I could easily live without it.

Agree with all of above. Apparently you and I are quite the minority. :?

I have had an iPhone for several months now... and I have yet to take the wrapper off the headphones.

angelgirl1224
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 4:19 pm

i love my ipod!! !! !!

Seth36
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

I have an mp3 player that I use alot, mostly when walking to and from work and whilst working. I tend to find that listening to music helps keep me focused and helps block out intrusive thoughts, it helps me concentrate on work, i find it near impossible to concentrate in complete silence, I can work in silence when I have to but I can't stand it, when there's complete quiet my mind is away and I get every thought and it's brothers hamster trying to force its way in.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2008, 6:27 pm

Its worth noting that these devices are not just music players. I've got several gig worth of audio books and music vids, and once format changes have been made, ill no doubt be loading it up with films as well. Multiple options for entertainment and distraction there.