Aspies being able to understand their actions?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

21 Apr 2008, 3:03 am

Gosh I think I better start another thread then asking why I had that problem if it's not part of AS. Maybe someone can shed some light on my problem and I'd understand myself better and not feel like a freak.
I'll start the thread later when I am done with reading that thread you posted. So far it has upset me.

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 3:42 am

I think on the non-social theoretical side of things, aspies know right from wrong. What aspies struggle with is understanding how someone else might feel or what they might think if they were on the receiving end of the action.

It isn't an excuse to do wrong or anything because the everything around it apart from how it might affect someone else mentally/psychologically is perfectly well understood.

It is true that things don't occur to aspies, but they tend to be connections between things rather than staying on one track following a particular train of thought. I would even suggest that aspies are more likely to understand why something is wrong since they would be more likely to focus on the details of an action, though I can see that the bigger picture of things around the action may be missed.

Soopervilin
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Apr 2008, 4:12 am

I never completely understood table manners, particularly why there are virtual duplicates of utensils for different purposes, or what's the "appropriate" action to take to finish the last bit of soup in your bowl (I usually just tip it up and drink it). I do know that the "elbows on the table" rule stems from days long gone, where lower and middle class families would all have to sit on one side of the table in order for everyone to be served. If everyone leaned on the table, then it would tip over and spill the food all over everything.

Most of the things that don't occur to me are traditions done for the sake of tradition without any good or applicable reason nowadays. Right from wrong is fairly simple, but the vast gray area between them is what trips me up.

batista90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 10:38 am

i believe all of us do...even i cant cope my meltdown i still know its wrong and feel bad about it

..dead..what u know about dead?
feel free to talk:)

straples-> http://www.alinssite.info/