Page 2 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which statement fits you best?
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I own or want one. 26%  26%  [ 18 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I own or want one. 26%  26%  [ 18 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I don't want/own one. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork to buy and I don't want/own one. 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork, but I am disqualified for psychiatric reasons. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I live in a country where guns rquire relatively little paperwork, but I am disqualified for psychiatric reasons. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, but I managed to get one. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, but I managed to get one. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, and I don't have one. 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
It's alot of trouble to get a gun legally in my country, and I don't have one. 14%  14%  [ 10 ]
Guns are banned without exception here. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Guns are banned without exception here. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Screw everybody's gun laws! I bought mine on the black market! 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Screw everybody's gun laws! I bought mine on the black market! 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 70

porkypunk
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Oct 2005, 2:35 pm

I'd hate to live in a country where an apparently large number of people feel the need to own a gun for personal protection. Is the US really that violent and anarchic? :)

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 3:05 pm

I have a gun, a .22. The only things I use it for are killing stray dogs/neighbor dogs who come to attack my goats, or for butchering the goats. I personally can't see the point in owning anything bigger or louder, but from my point of view, a gun is a strictly utilitarian things, sort of like a shovel.

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2005, 3:54 pm

porkypunk wrote:
I'd hate to live in a country where an apparently large number of people feel the need to own a gun for personal protection. Is the US really that violent and anarchic? :)

No, by and large it is a more polite society than most countries with heavier gun control (that is, there are lower rates of violent crime in the United States). As the saying goes: 'A well armed armed citizenry is a polite citizenry.' because you don't know who might shoot you if you cross them - and this encourges politeness for the sake of self-preservation. The criminals are afraid of the citizens - this is the most important effect of gun ownership.

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2005, 3:57 pm

I should add, even the most anti-gun senators Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein have concealed carry gun permits and own guns themselves. I find this amusing.

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 6:53 pm

pernicious_penguin wrote:
I should add, even the most anti-gun senators Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein have concealed carry gun permits and own guns themselves. I find this amusing.

Can't really blame them. If I was an anti-gun senator in the US, I would carry a gun for my own protection. :lol:

danlo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2005, 8:54 pm

No, Sean, the pistol broke, and the air rifle lost air pressure because the seals got worn.
She still owns the .22 and the 12 gauge.
Yeah, MP5's are nice. Standard assault weapon of the British SAS, isn't it?

mathogre
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2005, 9:07 pm

Smith and Wesson, .357 Magnum. Shweet.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 8:37 pm

porkypunk wrote:

The US really isn't that violent and Lawless. I'm from a part of the country (New England) where just about everybody has a gun that may get used during the Hunting season. For the most part, people with guns only use them for either Target practice (At a Range or in a field) or hunting. --For the most part, we're like Canadians in that respect.

I now live in a part of the US where people are like the above mentioned people in New England, but are also prone to shoot guns recreationally whilst at large parties featuring alcohol and other somewhat less legal intoxicants. --For the most part, the guns are fired in the air.

Unfortunately, a noisy minority of people in the US today are too apathetic to settle slights or differances by rational discourse and open communication to resolve differances.

Conversely, this minority of people is also domesticated and 'civilised' to the point where they are too afraid to settle other more greivous misunderstandings mano a mano and resort to shooting each other instead of punching each other out.

Just because the US is portrayed as completey lawless and apathetic, doesn't mean that we are.

eamonn
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 10:30 pm

I suppose it would feel civilised if you arent one of the 14,000-18,000 that die by the gun each year (could and does happen to anybody) or one of the seven million people (3.2% of the population) that reside in prison or even the 12% of the population that live under the poverty line, they probably find the US uncivilised. All these statistics are rapidly rising, and this in the worlds most powerful economy. Shame i say.

Last edited by eamonn on 14 Oct 2005, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Oct 2005, 10:31 pm

ummm... Sean, is your e key broken? well, I guess the fact that you have e's elswhere disqualifies that theory...

rpm2004
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 10:48 pm

Harrington "Pardner"

Model_Pardner®
Stock_American hardwood, walnut finish, pistol grip
Barrel_26"
Chamber_Up to 3"
Sights_Bead front
Choke_Modified or Full (20 Gauge)
Modified (28 Gauge)
Length_41"
Length of Pull-14"
Drop at Comb_1-1/2"
Drop at Heel_2"
Weight_5-6 lbs.

Last edited by rpm2004 on 14 Oct 2005, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevv729
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 10:50 pm

I personally own a Russian shotgun myself it has USSR marking on it to. It is a 12 gauge shotgun double barrel. I like shooting it when I can. Never had any problems shooting it or any type of gun myself.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 11:28 pm

Morlock wrote:
ummm... Sean, is your e key broken? well, I guess the fact that you have e's elswhere disqualifies that theory...

I made a single typo and copied it a bunch of times without realizing it. :oops:

pernicious_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Oct 2005, 3:16 am

eamonn wrote:
I suppose it would feel civilised if you arent one of the 14,000-18,000 that die by the gun each year (could and does happen to anybody) or one of the seven million people (3.2% of the population) that reside in prison or even the 12% of the population that live under the poverty line, they probably find the US uncivilised. All these statistics are rapidly rising, and this in the worlds most powerful economy. Shame i say.

-we find those person residing in prisons as being uncivilized. Not the other way around. Or perhaps you back the murderers? Are they you bastion of civilization?

-15,000 people died in the United States in 2004 from 'homicide'. Your claim that more people died from gun fire than died total is absurd.

-Most deaths by firearms are suicides

from:http://www.handgunfree.org/HFAMain/topics/suicide/ (an anti gun group)

"In 1998 alone, 30,575 Americans committed suicide"
"In 1998, for example, 17,424 people in America committed suicide using a gun"

go try to take someone else's guns. We will always live free. You will never have the power to remain free yourself - you live under another's thumb day and night.

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 4:22 am

I guess I better remind everybody that this thread is about who uses guns primarily for a hobby. Not crime statistics and gun control debates. I am hoping that if there is going to be a potential flame war over this, that people would do that in a seperate thread. :)

Last edited by Sean on 15 Oct 2005, 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2005, 4:25 am

I'd love to have a go firing a gun other than a BB or air rifle.