Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2008, 12:46 pm

Utah recently voted down a school voucher bill. I was disappointed.

I'm sure I'm not the only aspie here who was miserable in school, so I'm wondering if you've ever thought about how school could be improved. How would you do it?

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 1:29 pm

I think we should ditch the Department of Education, and let state and local governments decide on their cirriculum.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Apr 2008, 1:29 pm

Make it available for people of all ages all mixed up , for as long as they like.
Allow people to study whatever interests them.

That would be a start.

Also stop running education as if people need to be taught in order to learn.
And encourage everybody, whatever age, and that means children too, to join in in workplaces, get hands on experience.

See John Taylor Gatto's site at:

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/prologue.htm

8)

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 3:21 pm

Through some means I would privatize schooling and reduce the restrictions on it.

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2008, 8:12 pm

Cyanide wrote:
ditch the Department of Education
I assume that's because change is too hard or too slow with a bigger system? Why is it so centralized in the first place?

@ouinon This site looks interesting. I still haven't finished reading it though.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 8:41 pm

ouinon wrote:
Make it available for people of all ages all mixed up , for as long as they like.
Allow people to study whatever interests them.

That would be a start.

Also stop running education as if people need to be taught in order to learn.
And encourage everybody, whatever age, and that means children too, to join in in workplaces, get hands on experience.

See John Taylor Gatto's site at:

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/prologue.htm

8)

thanks good read

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:38 pm

Gatto's Underground History is about 400 pages so there is a quick history tour as well.

http://johntaylorgatto.com/historytour/history1.htm

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 9:44 pm

Also it seems that Gatto's model for school reform is quite compelling for Aspies because it includes a disdain for the superficial consumerism and the need to focus on individual interests. However, he digresses the notion of technology and suggests a "simpler" state. Though if there is any testimony to the success of going on interests instead of schooling, it would be the computer hackers and other geeks. Most CEO's made Cs in High School, and most flunking hackers obtained high level computer jobs, despite the "need" for scholastic excellence.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2008, 10:27 pm

Encyclopedia wrote:
Cyanide wrote:
ditch the Department of Education
I assume that's because change is too hard or too slow with a bigger system? Why is it so centralized in the first place?

Bureaucracies are just big inefficient blobs. Good decentralized leadership always works better. Plus the Department of Education gets influence by lobby groups and the like.

Johnnie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 6:23 am

sinse we are stuck with the public schools the younger kids should stay with the same teacher for 3 or 4 years and than get another one for 3 or 4 years and have to earn their way into high school after that which would be more like pre-college and set up the same way where people would be throw out for failing to achieve or behave themselves.

Yes throw them out or flunk them out after the 6th or 8th grade if they can't behave and do the work and lower the age people can start working Over 50% of the jobs in the country don't require anything close to a high school education, so it's just a waste of resources and manpower to continue the farce that everyone needs a high school education.

I lean towards 6th grade being it for the slugs and people who have no interest in staying in school and want to enter the work force.

matrix
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 10:13 pm

Johnnie wrote:
sinse we are stuck with the public schools the younger kids should stay with the same teacher for 3 or 4 years and than get another one for 3 or 4 years and have to earn their way into high school after that which would be more like pre-college and set up the same way where people would be throw out for failing to achieve or behave themselves.

Yes throw them out or flunk them out after the 6th or 8th grade if they can't behave and do the work and lower the age people can start working Over 50% of the jobs in the country don't require anything close to a high school education, so it's just a waste of resources and manpower to continue the farce that everyone needs a high school education.

I lean towards 6th grade being it for the slugs and people who have no interest in staying in school and want to enter the work force.

Since bored people are the best consumers, school had to be a boring place, and since childish people are the easiest customers to convince, the manufacture of childishness, extended into adulthood, had to be the first priority of factory schools. -John Taylor Gatto

Encyclopedia
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2008, 8:29 pm

Consider this: Divide all the government money normally given to public schools in a year equally among the student population in the form of vouchers, each with one student's name on it. The voucher would be given to the parents and could only be used to pay "tuition" to a public or private school for the student it's named for. Schools would have to use the money wisely and prove to the parents that they are doing their job to stay in business. Let market forces do the rest. What do you think?

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 8:38 pm

I'd be ok with a reform like that.

Maxrebo
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Apr 2008, 1:08 pm

ditch the department of education they messed up high school for me by making the state increase graduation requirements so know I have no chance of graduting because of the department of education and bush and his stupid no child left behind crap.