Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Childscry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2008, 9:18 am

My son has recently had a kid calling him "Dork" everyday this week..he isnt overwhelmed about it but i can tell it effects him. Fortuneatly sometimes it seems like out of sight out of mind but matter of fact. Anyways i have emailed the school shrink, he is amazing and knows michael and his autism well. Im still waiting for a reply. I want to handle this RIGHT and not too much out of my emotions...personally i want to shake the kid who is doing this!

Any advice in how to handle teasing and bullying? :?

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 9:50 am

Find out who the child is,
find the child's parents,
write them a letter
if that does not work and the school does nothing,
teach your child self defence,
then have him knock the crap out of the bully (if possible).

Tortuga
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 11:39 am

I started homeschooling, partly because of bullying. My son would attack those who teased him, however, my son would also get suspended for fighting.

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 1:27 pm

I was called Micheal Jackson, I don't why, but teachers tell me to ignore them, and mum said there Micheal Jackson's chimps.

Childscry
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2008, 2:36 pm

Thanks guys!

So glad i was pointed this direction!

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:14 pm

well I am a 28 yr old aspie, and I have to say bullying sucks, had it all though jr high and high school. try seeing if theres a place in your location that gives martial art classes, I took about 3 yrs+ of taekwondo, was almost a red belt by the time I reached high school. I wasn't bulled physically that much but your best bet is to do martial arts and in school go to library or computer lab, your child won't be bullied that much. Or try going to a private school, if you can afford it, I couldn't afford it, thats the only reason why i went to public school.

Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 11:57 am

I don't have great advice on dealing with bullying, but there's a lot worse than being called a dork. I think if that's as far as it's going, it's probably best to teach your kid who the actual dork is and tell him not to respond. The bully WANTS a response. If it continues and becomes worse, then inform the school that it is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY to provide a safe and healthy environment for your child since school attendance is the law. Inform them that if your child continues to be bullied, you'll turn it into a legal matter.

ster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 8:11 am

there are also anti-bullying laws.....the school has a responsibility to teach your child in a safe environment.

Lissa67
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Apr 2008, 9:20 am

My son is starting to react physicaly to bullying now, and I am worried it will just get worse. He used to run away from school during his primary years, but during year 7 he was suspended 5 times for fighting back, and now in his first semester at highschool he has already been suspeneded. its the same boy who targeted him in primary school and although the primary school had no answers and I ended up having to take him out at lunchtimes to protect him, the highschool has actually given a very positive first response, although when this occured in begining of march, he had not been officially diagnosed, and the school system wont acknowledge anything without an official stamp, which also makes me steam. But at least they seem to be showing a genuine concern. I have promised myself though that if it continues Im taking further action, why is it that teachers expect children to put up with being called names and harrased yet if you did the same thing to a co-worker your butt would be fired and out the door before you could blink or you'd be sued for harrasment, the hypocrisy drives me mad.

Lissa

Timelady
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 10:30 am

bullying can happen differently, depending on the culture