Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:56 am

Not only are people an unknown quantity, they can change into an unknown quantity very easily with no warning. Life is dangerous and people are a very difficult factor to control. We have to learn to live with it. The 9/11 murderers seemed to very easily overcome the almost non-existent security of the USA even though those in control in high government had many clues to the danger. And expose´s by people attempting to test the system indicate it has not improved much. I do not defend illegal immigration but it seems the country has become severely dependent upon illegal workers as business is very fond of screwing the legal worker by hiring illegals and underpaying them. There are millions of people now integrated into the economic system and exporting them will probably be more damaging to the economy than the effort is worth, not to speak of the human misery on people merely trying to get on with their lives. Working out a just and decent system, considering the mistakes that have been integrated into the system, will not be simple or easy but unrestricted brutality by stupid callous government is no answer.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 7:12 am

I agree, and the problem here are wealthy people, who run these governments and corporations. Ideally, I am an anarchist, and if such a system were reality then people would be organized into smaller units (small communities or tribes), which would be easier to regulate. borders wouldn't be as much of an issue.
However, such a system isn't the case. In the system we do live in, illegal immigration is a problem. But of coarse NAFTA is instigating all this, and it's all planned this way. It's the same thing that is happening too in european nations and illegal arab populations (but europe or N. Africa/middle east doesn't have NAFTA. But they do have other organizations).
Basically it's their plan to eliminate borders and eliminate nation-states, to usher in a 1 world government.... Which will be anything but humane. What we're seeing is a monolithic paradigm shift, from a world of nation-states to a world ran by corporatism, fascism, corporations and international corporate franchises are taking over, consolidating all their power into 1 monolithic global system of governance. As stands, these organizations technically already own all the nation-states, because they've got all the officials everywhere bought. Politicians are merely puppets on strings.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 7:16 am

And of coarse these corporations have a bad reputation for abusing the people for their own ends, but nobody wants to focus on that because those same corporations give people them entertainment, fast food, video games, designer clothes, reality tv, pop culture, etc. So basically, people are more or less happy slaves.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 7:29 am

Why do atheists have such a problem with religion?

Also, I agree, snake. Most of it is true. However, I am not an anarchist. I believe that governments, corporations, and personal freedom can coexist, given the right circumstances. Corporations need regulation. Governments need backbones. Personal liberty needs protection.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 8:01 am

Corporations are already an international government and they care little about the consequences of their actions as long as they can make a profit. And they are very powerful.

As an atheist I am very disturbed that people cannot face reality and deal with real problems instead of being fascinated with dreamy fantasies.

Delirium
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:08 am

Fred2670 wrote:
zendell wrote:
Conservatives and Christians don't have any problems with cultural or religious diversity. Most people seem to misunderstand what they say.

The Pope is currently touring America these days. Yes he apologized for the homosexual perversion of his priesthood which was nice, but his goal here is to plead the case of amesty for the impoverished and unassimilating hordes of illegal aliens who are currently stealing jobs from middleclass Americans and soaking up social services which were not intended for them.

Would the Pope be here pleading amnesty for Mexican nationals if the vast majority of them were not Catholic? Does the Pope know that thanks to certain Catholic rules regarding birth control, Mexican nationals are outbreeding every other race of people in America? Does the Pope know that Latinos only vote for Latinos and that when their voting block is big enough the leadership, laws, language, and culture in America will reflect this? Does the Pope yearn for the day when America, due to an overwhelming Latino influence, gives up democracy in favor of a Vatican run theocracy?

That was quite possibly one of the most repulsive things I've ever read here.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:16 am

For the record, I am agnostic, but tolerant of religion, and recognise that religion can be a force for both "good" and "evil", just as atheism can. Religion helps many people to cope with reality. I wouldn't say it's all dreamy fantasy, either. I would much rather believe that there is life after death than face prospects of total oblivion.. even if it was a lie. That's a curse of being human. Being able to think "freely", and broadly. I wouldn't say that religion is just for the weak, either. No matter how mentally strong you are, it's hard not to worry, and be troubled about the future. In fact, being smarter makes it even more worrying.

Intolerance works both ways, I'm afraid. Mainstream religion worries about moral and ethical issues, very relevant issues for humans. And some "God" has not yet been proven or disproven, it is silly to simply call it fantasy. Modern physics has still not brought about any answer. Yet some supreme being, or natural force could exist, in fact I think that some things may even point in that direction. The beauty of the earth, the very fabric of life itself, the sheer ingenius design of the body, makes one wonder.

Sand
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:59 am

When a proper examination of the forces that direct biology are understood the complexity of life is not an insoluble mystery. No doubt there is much to learn in the matter but supernatural force are superfluous. Whether there is or is not a superior intelligence is not at the moment revealed in anything currently observed and witnesses over several thousand years old are not creditable. Certainly all the described manifestations of a god that is assumed to have created the universe are much too manlike to be acceptable - at least by me. But there are real terrible problems facing all life on Earth and it is very unhelpful to try to incorporate imaginary beings in the solutions.

But, frankly, I do not hope to convince anybody who yearns for eternal life about the matter. There are very many people who adhere to the total foolishness of astrology and probably quite a few who believe in elves and fairies and honest governments. Dinosaurs lived for many millions of years and finally succumbed to something or other. Humans have been around for a mere few millions of years and it looks very much that we will not be as lucky as the dinosaurs.