Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2008, 7:03 pm

Ignore this please

Last edited by burnse22 on 17 Apr 2008, 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mage
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2008, 7:08 pm

The reviewer is giving their opinion of the filmmaker, not of Billy. They are saying that the filmmaker did a poor job, merely exploiting Billy's quirks without taking the time or care to portray him as a real person. It's not meant to insult those with AS, just the filmmaker.

I haven't seen the film yet so I can't comment whether the review is accurate. The reviewer does seem concerned about the way people with AS are portrayed in the media and I count that as a good thing.

burnse22
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2008, 7:17 pm

Sorry, sorry. Worked up over nothing.
I'm gonna watch the film on tuesday anyway.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2008, 6:18 pm

Mage wrote:
The reviewer is giving their opinion of the filmmaker, not of Billy. They are saying that the filmmaker did a poor job, merely exploiting Billy's quirks without taking the time or care to portray him as a real person. It's not meant to insult those with AS, just the filmmaker.

I haven't seen the film yet so I can't comment whether the review is accurate. The reviewer does seem concerned about the way people with AS are portrayed in the media and I count that as a good thing.

I definitely share that concern. I have not been impressed at all with almost any portrayal of AS so far, whether on TV, in movies, or in other media. The focus is far too much on the negative, it's usually very distorted, and the purpose appears to be to mock and/or denigrate. It's truly infuriating. My son was very upset at a Law and Order spinoff (can't remember which one, although it wasn't Special Victims Unit) episode he saw in syndication recently and, given that I watched the same episode separately from him, I totally agreed with his concerns.

I'm not sure what to do about that except to keep getting information, education and awareness out to the public and to keep debunking misinformation and false/misleading/inaccurate portrayals.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous