Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

If I were prime minister...

The NHS would have fewer bureaucrats, and would be much more effective, for starters.

Tuition fees would go, students would have to pay much less for their first degree, with a ceiling of £1500 per year.

The benefit trap would cease to exist. Benefits, whilst a fair amount, would not be as much as the minimum wage.

The whole financial system would be reformed. The bank of England would be back under national control, and low-rate, not-for-profit mortgages would be introduced. People would not lose their houses if they ran into trouble paying their mortgages.

The state pension system would deduct a certain amount of money from people's earnings or bank account per annum, depending on the individual's choice, if they did not already have their own scheme.

Inflation would be kept down, whilst at the same time big shifts in economic activity would be kept to a minimum, to reduce the effects of booms and recessions. Certain measures may be taken to ensure good wages for everyone whilst at the same time keeping inflation under control. Government economic intervention would be increased, but not harmful. Tackling poverty whilst having a low inflation rate would be economic priorities. The government would cooperate with the private sector.

Certain companies would be brought under government control, in the public and national interest. They would be under the same rules and regulations as other companies, though held to higher standards, with less of a focus on profit, and more on service. There would still be political and economic incentives to all involved, and innovation would not be stumped, but encouraged.

Military spending would be doubled. The army would be increased to 300,000 troops, with more, new, better equipment and supplies. The air force would be increased by maybe 100-200 jets. The navy would be doubled in size. This increase would be funded by new channels of revenue, i.e, nationalised companies and reformed budgets. Frankly, the current British military is far too small, and poorly equipped.

The whole public services system would be reformed.

New drives would cut down on political correctness, and encourage independence of thought.

A new, well funded space program, and space industry drives, would be initiated, aiming to revolutionise the space industry, and create new jobs. Space is the future.

Not only would there be a new space program, but there would be a massive government drive to encourage all sorts of high-tech industries and scientific innovation.

A basic standard of life will be assured for everyone. However, I think that the poorly educated are neccessary whilst there is a need for menial, low-skill, and heavy manual jobs, unfortunately. I can't see a nation entirely consisting of highly skilled graduates functioning, without people willing, and only skilled to do menial labour. Ultimately, most will be replaced by robots, but for now, the need remains.

Being environmentally friendly is also a big issue, which hopefully will be tackled by the increase in high-tech industry.

I will aim to balance the needs of all socio-economic classes, whilst driving humanity forward.

And, I almost forgot. There would be a massive crack-down on immigration, which is harmful for the ordinary British citizen, and puts a big strain on public services.

I'm serious about this, and I aim to make my dreams become reality. Try shooting me down as you will.

Last edited by Anubis on 20 Apr 2008, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 6:14 pm

I can't become president in Lebanon because I am a muslim shiaa on ID (but atheist in heart). My sect is not allowed to this position(and honestly...with their popular support for Hezbullah, they don't deserve such position) only Maronites can.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 8:55 pm

Well, hey I'll join in just for fun.
If I was temporary all-ruling dictator I'd...
-Abolish the Federal Reserve.
-Go back to a gold or silver standard
-Ban fractional-reserve banking, and make it punishable by death (either through firing range or hanging preferrably).
-Make it so CEOs can't pay themselves more than 100x what their average worker makes.
-Get rid of the Department of Education, making local and state government decide on it, while putting more money into it.
-Get rid of birthright citizenship.
-Withdraw all troops from Iraq and Afghanistan immediately, and adopt a policy of non-interventionalism.
-Take businesses' licenses if they hire illegal immigrants, and also penalize any apartment building/renter for lodging them.
-Make English the country's one and only official language, and only print government documents in English.
-Abolish affirmative action
-Protect the 1st amendment (yes, even against "hate speech")
-Make it compulsory that the top 5 political parties/candidates are allowed in the Presidential Debates. Also, make it easier for 3rd parties to get on the ballots and adopt a 2-round voting system like what they have in France.
-Cut military spending.
-Protect Net Neutrality
-Abolish all hate-crime laws.
-Increase punishment for most crimes (especially rape, murder, and the like)
-Get rid of jail sentences for drug possession, and instead use fines.
-Replace the flawed Electoral System with a Popular Vote.
-Either cut our representatives salaries by a lot or eliminate them, and make it so that only a direct vote can decide whether or not to raise them.
That's all I can think of for the moment.