Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:05 am

I'm about to graduate, and I don't know what to do with my life. Well, not that dramatic :lol: , but I don't know what to focus on. :(
I'm a graphic designer, and I plan to continue working in the graphic design field, but I feel the need to do something more. I've done some paitings, not too much, and that is one path I'm interested. But I'm also interested in computer stuff, animation and 3d for example, and a little programming, which is completely different from the painting path. Also, illlustration is a path I'd love to explore more.

I've got a half-time job, so that plus school doesn't leave a lot of free time right now. And after graduating it'll hopefully be a full-time job, so I hope I'll have more free time (no more homework, yay!).

I like everything! That's the main problem :(

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:43 pm

*bump*

digger1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:52 pm

first off, I'd learn how to spell "help". Could go a long way towards explaining why you're not getting jobs passing all those windows that don't say "halp wanted".

sorry. I just think of you as some empty-eyed snaggletooth chick, not a graphic designer.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:56 pm

I don't know how to answer your question. :?

Those who know, don't speak.

LazySlacker
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 4:59 pm

...Sorry, I got nothing...

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 7:25 pm

Make a list of what you're most interested in, pin it on the wall and throw a dart. Whatever it hits, that's what you do next.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2008, 11:00 pm

Sorry to hear that computerlove. It sounds like you're busy with work. That's a tough question that you'll have to find out for yourself. I know what you mean by the word career, kind of like getting married to a job. You sound like you're real good in computers and art. I don't know, something along the lines of advertising? That's a hard one.

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 2:32 am

Hey get what you can. I don't know how old you are, but it can be tough going in the real world.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:35 am

I know, I have to make a decision, even not making a decision is a decision... :?

Also, I'm old, that's another thing I tend to forget to take into account...

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:40 am

computerlove wrote:
I know, I have to make a decision, even not making a decision is a decision... :?

Also, I'm old, that's another thing I tend to forget to take into account...

old as me?

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:10 am

I'm thirty. Wait, no, I'm thirty-one! 8O ... *sigh*

How old are you? I suck at guessing

I already have a career, worked a couple of years but I was very depressed, so I decided to study again, no regrets about that :)
But, lately the anxiety about what to do has been growing more and more, I've been freelancing/working almost half of my career, so working is not a concern, but what to focus on is.
Also, my mother (and to some extent my father), she thinks that I need a good job, one that gives status and all that sh*t which honestly I don't care...
Maybe it's because of the graduation and living on my own, alone?! Damn AS... :? :( I don't want to live alone, I don't want to die alone, but I fear AS will get in the way (of a relationship)...

MR_BOGAN
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:36 am

I'm 108 years old.

<------ you might see it there.

Ha I think I'm in the same situtation, I'm kind of a software developer. I finished making my own software project I'll send you a pm if you are interested. Meeh just applied for a job to be a software tester, I really haven't got any motivation or drive anymore.

I'm not interested in a stressful job either. :wink: Couldn't care less about money. Not really sure what I want to do either.
Sort of learned about AS just now, not even sure if I have it more ADD but errr it can explain a lot. :)

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 6:48 am

Well sounds like you guys are doing better than me. I suck at everything. I know I'll die alone in a shelter and what is errr doing here again?

chocolate_kitties
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 10:58 am

Does your university/college have a careers advisor? They might help.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:13 am

You can take a career aptitude test, they have them at colleges/universities.

MissConstrue wrote:
Well sounds like you guys are doing better than me. I suck at everything. I know I'll die alone in a shelter

No you won't, from what I hear you have a lot of interests to look into. :wink:

If anyone is going to die alone it will be me.

gismo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:58 am

Try mixing them together, all your talents are to do with art and digital design. You could fuse them, and do things like illustrations that you can edit on photoshop using a computer, and a scanner... I'm wrong aren't I... :(