Why does homosexuality exist?

Page 1 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 995
Location: On a journey to the center of the mind

19 Apr 2008, 3:09 pm

As a homosexual male, I have pondered this question for quite some time. Now for those of you wondering, I don't wish to be straight, nor am I undergoing a sexual identity crisis. I'm quite comfortable being gay. However, I do still wonder why it exists.

Biologically, it serves no purpose. There is no reproduction value to mating with the same sex in any species. And yet it pops up in all different sorts of species all the time. I kind of wonder why it hasn't been breed out.

Then again, it may serve as a population control mechanism, as it serves sexual pleasure without creating new babies. However, these two arguments suppose that it is genetic. I have wondered at times if it is environmental, but then again, that is so hard to prove.



MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,052
Location: Missouri

19 Apr 2008, 3:36 pm

Genetic?

I don't know, I don't wanna have kids, does that make me useless in society?

Some ppl can't have children and some that do, either abandon them or put them up for adoption. There's a lot of stuff I'd ask why to. Why are ppl physically different, why do some ppl excel in some things than others. I think society within any culture is what makes you think why? it just makes me wonder why ppl look down on other people's orientation more so than anything like personality.


_________________
I live as I choose or I will not live at all.
~Delores O’Riordan


miss_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 38
Location: USA

19 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

i'm bisexual.. i don't believe it to be genetic but just how your brain works. a lot of people ask me "what made you become bi?" and i simply answer with "the reason i am bi is the same reason you are straight..i'm just born that way"


_________________
So deep, that it didn't even bleed and catch me
Off guard, red handed
Now I'm far from lonely
Asleep, I still see you lying next to me
So deep that it didn't even bleed and catch me
--The Used


OddballBen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jun 2007
Age: 29
Gender: Male
Posts: 187
Location: CA

19 Apr 2008, 3:50 pm

miss_e wrote:
i'm bisexual.. i don't believe it to be genetic but just how your brain works. a lot of people ask me "what made you become bi?" and i simply answer with "the reason i am bi is the same reason you are straight..i'm just born that way"


If you're born bisexual, doesn't that make it genetic?



miss_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 38
Location: USA

19 Apr 2008, 3:52 pm

you make a good point..and i can't respond..i'll just go think this out :D


_________________
So deep, that it didn't even bleed and catch me
Off guard, red handed
Now I'm far from lonely
Asleep, I still see you lying next to me
So deep that it didn't even bleed and catch me
--The Used


Xelebes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2008
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,631
Location: Edmonton, Alberta

19 Apr 2008, 3:53 pm

It's the jetsam of life, a dead-end in the gene pool. To that I just shrug. So I may be one (ok, I'm only bi), I may still express love. It does not prevent me from helping the gene pool by helping the society to thrive and that whichever I may express love, I achieve self-satisfaction so that I may carry on another day to continue helping.



CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,656
Location: West of the Great Divide

19 Apr 2008, 3:56 pm

This is something I've wondered about too.

I'm straight, but it's not because I sat down and thought about whether I'd rather be attracted to males or females and decided to be heterosexual. I can't avoid the conclusion that sexual orientation is innate.

Natural selection is based on how many offspring an individual produces, and it's hard to imagine anything that would be more strongly selected against than a preference for breeding that doesn't produce offspring.

I suppose it could be something in the uterine environment, but that just knocks the same question back a step. Females that tended to produce gay offspring would produce fewer grandchildren.

Homosexual type behaviors occur in other species, but I'm not sure there are gay individual animals, outside of South Park. Maybe there are, but I'm not aware of it.

Assuming there is a "gay gene," I wonder if there might be some heterozygote advantage, like sickle cell anemia.


_________________
They murdered boys in Mississippi. They shot Medgar in the back.
Did you say that wasn't proper? Did you march out on the track?
You were quiet, just like mice. And now you say that we're not nice.
Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina


Mikomi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jan 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 753
Location: On top of your TV, lookin' at you funny.

19 Apr 2008, 4:09 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
...it may serve as a population control mechanism, as it serves sexual pleasure without creating new babies. However, these two arguments suppose that it is genetic. I have wondered at times if it is environmental, but then again, that is so hard to prove.


There are actual differences in the structures of the brain (don't know specifics on this, we only briefly studied it in psych) so there is definitely a "nature" thing about it. Bisexuals have similar differences too. I think it is just a natural variant in life, nothing more, nothing less. Just as brain chemicals and structures cause and effect so many other things, from giftedness to depression, I believe sexual orientation is much the same. We are what we are, as a whole. I do believe it helps our population from exploding, but whether this is an intended function of nature or not, I don't think we can say.


_________________
Curiosity is not a mental illness.
Homeschooling Aspie mom of 2 kiddos on the Spectrum.


MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,052
Location: Missouri

19 Apr 2008, 4:10 pm

Another thing I wanna add too, I wouldn't tend to look at homosexuality as a disease or something that would be looked at as "genetically wrong." I have cousin who's gay and does very well for himself.

As for animals, you'll see some things they do that human would never do. I would think if anything another weakness would be overpopulation as well as underpopulation. Over population contributes to famine and disease. China was a good example of that as well as society as a whole. It also could be related to how society views it. We as humans are the only ones that do most of the analyzing and observations that eventually form into facts and opinions.


_________________
I live as I choose or I will not live at all.
~Delores O’Riordan


NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,837
Location: St. Louis, Missouri

19 Apr 2008, 4:18 pm

Homosexuality exists because society needs its flamboyant types, its playwrights, its Broadway producers, its fashion designers, its interior designers, its BDSM lifestylers, its poets, and its tortured artists.



miss_e
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 38
Location: USA

19 Apr 2008, 4:20 pm

NeantHumain wrote:
Homosexuality exists because society needs its flamboyant types, its playwrights, its Broadway producers, its fashion designers, its interior designers, its BDSM lifestylers, its poets, and its tortured artists.


:D


_________________
So deep, that it didn't even bleed and catch me
Off guard, red handed
Now I'm far from lonely
Asleep, I still see you lying next to me
So deep that it didn't even bleed and catch me
--The Used


Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 182
Location: Canterbury, England

19 Apr 2008, 4:24 pm

Well, i'm straight, so psychologically speaking I can't comment on what motivates it. The thing is, homosexuality, as you said, serves no purpose. In fact, it is couterproductive to your utimate goal in life, which is the preservation and continuation of your genetic code. As living organisms we serve no other purpose. I don't consider it a disease, and I certainly don't dislike homosexuality. In fact, i'd say I hold no opinion on the matter whatsoever. From a scientific standpoint, it's a disorder, either psychological or genetic, at present there is no way of knowing.
I know i'm going to produce some sort of moral outrage for saying this, but I do believe there is something wrong with a person who is homosexual, I just don't believe they should be shunned for it. Afterall, it's none of my business what happens to another person's genetic code, and some people choose not to have children anyway irrespective of their sexual preference.


_________________
Umquam sentio nex?


sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,919

19 Apr 2008, 4:39 pm

The same might be asked regarding aspie traits. If the trait reduces the likelihood of reproducing, then why does it persist? Are aspies the result of a rearrangment of a finite capacity for talent? Are there still aspies and homosexuals because they somehow promoted the survival of their tribe over other tribes that didn't produce them, even though they're not reproductively favored as individuals? Remember also that people who identify as primarily homosexual do sometimes have children.


_________________
A boy and his dog can go walking
A boy and his dog sometimes talk to each other
A boy and a dog can be happy sitting down in the woods on a log
But a dog knows his boy can go wrong


sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Age: 46
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,919

19 Apr 2008, 4:46 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
Another thing I wanna add too, I wouldn't tend to look at homosexuality as a disease or something that would be looked at as "genetically wrong." I have cousin who's gay and does very well for himself.

As for animals, you'll see some things they do that human would never do. I would think if anything another weakness would be overpopulation as well as underpopulation. Over population contributes to famine and disease. China was a good example of that as well as society as a whole. It also could be related to how society views it. We as humans are the only ones that do most of the analyzing and observations that eventually form into facts and opinions.


Well, I suppose maybe the human population is too large, about a billion would be about right. Someone else I knew said the ideal number is zero, but I am not sure I agree. The problem is that there isn't anything that eats us in appreciable numbers. More tigers? Yes, especially for California.


_________________
A boy and his dog can go walking
A boy and his dog sometimes talk to each other
A boy and a dog can be happy sitting down in the woods on a log
But a dog knows his boy can go wrong


Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jul 2006
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,597
Location: In the recesses of my mind

19 Apr 2008, 5:49 pm

most things exist because they can.


_________________
Neuroscience PhD student

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl


sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jul 2004
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 346
Location: N.London

19 Apr 2008, 6:06 pm

Sedaka wrote:
most things exist because they can.


that is exactly what i think. thinking things must exist for a simple tangible reason reminds me slightly of creationism. some traits will just be thrown up by genetics again and again as a bi-product of other more important stuff going on.

oh no look out the homosexuals are reproducing *sarcasm gene activated* :lol: