Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Snoopy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 12:40 am

I am writing a paper for a psychology class on AS and women. I need to inculde a few women who have AS or are highly speculated to have AS. The only women that people have told me that have it are Juliette Lewis, Janeane Garafolo and Sandra Bernhard no idea if they are accurate or not.

acannon
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2008, 12:49 am

Darryl Hannah is autistic. She was in Kill Bill and Blade Runner. I don't know of anymore people offhand, though.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 1:10 am

I LOVE all of those people.. although, I'm not real familiar with Garafolo (I can recognize her from seeing her on t.v. but that's about it..)

As far as Juliette Lewis, I have always loved her! She has a band based in England? I believe called "The Licks".. if I'm not mistaken... in addition to her acting career.

I actually had the chance to Meet Sandra Bernhard, an incredibly brilliant person.. I saw her stand up comedy routine AND her music.. she had a band backing her and would sing, quite well I might add, during her comedy routine..

I have never heard that the 2 above were Aspie... How did you hear that they were? I can see where they might be though ;)

As far as Darryl Hannah, I remember reading that she was once diagnosed as a child.. but later, references to this were deleted... I've always loved her too.. and really related to that character in Blade Runner! awesome... she might very well be also, and might just not want it publicly known?

These people may not want to be known publicly as Aspie... are we speculating that they MAY have Asperger's or has someone come forward and announced that they have it? thanks..

srriv345
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 1:12 am

Do you only want women still alive? I think some well-known women from the past, like Emily Dickinson or Marie Curie, could possibly have qualified.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

Snoopy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 1:58 am

[quote="Felinity"]I LOVE all of those people.. although, I'm not real familiar with Garafolo (I can recognize her from seeing her on t.v. but that's about it..)

As far as Juliette Lewis, I have always loved her! She has a band based in England? I believe called "The Licks".. if I'm not mistaken... in addition to her acting career.

I actually had the chance to Meet Sandra Bernhard, an incredibly brilliant person.. I saw her stand up comedy routine AND her music.. she had a band backing her and would sing, quite well I might add, during her comedy routine..

I have never heard that the 2 above were Aspie... How did you hear that they were? I can see where they might be though ;)

As far as Darryl Hannah, I remember reading that she was once diagnosed as a child.. but later, references to this were deleted... I've always loved her too.. and really related to that character in Blade Runner! awesome... she might very well be also, and might just not want it publicly known?

These people may not want to be known publicly as Aspie... are we speculating that they MAY have Asperger's or has someone come forward and announced that they have it? thanks..[/quote]

I heared about the two through my phychology professor who is fimilair with AS. We are speculating.

Snoopy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 1:59 am

[quote="srriv345"]Do you only want women still alive? I think some well-known women from the past, like Emily Dickinson or Marie Curie, could possibly have qualified.[/quote]

Women who are still alive please

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2008, 7:23 am

Jane Austen s speculated to have been A.S.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:58 am

It's highly unlikely that the celebrity women given as examples here are autistic, though they are likely to be exceptionally gifted. In general, famous people who get there under their own power are unlikely to be autistic, though there may be rare exceptions. (I have wondered about Greta Garbo, and am reading up on her.)

You had better stick to women famous for being autistic, to be safe, and to avoid confusing autism and exceptional giftedness. Donna Williams and Temple Grandin, for example. Dawn Prince-Hughes, though I don't know anything about her, so I'm just going by her name on the same lists as the others. Michelle Dawson is another good example, and is someone for us to be proud of.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:03 am

Snoopy wrote:
I am writing a paper for a psychology class on AS and women. I need to inculde a few women who have AS or are highly speculated to have AS. The only women that people have told me that have it are Juliette Lewis, Janeane Garafolo and Sandra Bernhard no idea if they are accurate or not.

Why would ANYONE say Janeane Garafolo or Sandra Bernhard have it?

Reodor_Felgen
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:12 am

Heather Kuzmich:

Fuck. This will override the swear word filter.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:33 am

Emily Dickenson (reclose--never left her house...brilliant poet)

Sylvia Plath (bipolar/AS maybe?--stuck her head in oven...difficulty relating to world)

Virginia Woolf (diagnosed something--running thougths, voices, periods of pscyhosis on and off--very difficult time relating to society...brilliant...walked into the ocean with rocks in her pockets)

musician--I had an idea about Natalie Merchant--not sure what others think. She played by ear (gifted musically) writes her own music/lyrics and is very private. If you watch her perform she's definitely in her own world, lost in the music. Maybe not. I've always thought she was unique--definitely underrated musician because she stays out of the mainstream of music.

that's all I can think of for now

btw: darryl hannah always seemed like a space cadet to me, blank stare, mouth agape-that means she's autistic? don't mean to offend her fans, sorry--just my take. wasn't she the mermaid with tom hanks? I remember her coy and child-like and imagined she was really like this in real life.

equinn

EvilOlive
Raven
Raven

20 Apr 2008, 12:55 pm

i believe I read that darryl hannah mighta been diagnosed as a child or something...
Jeanine Garafolo does not seem like an aspie at ALL to me....granted I love her..but unless there is some specific reference where she admits to having it...or something....I would say no....Same for the other live ones....no good if it is just heresay or speculation...

I suppose the dead ones could go either way.

I read a mini-bio about Emily Dickenson...and supposedly she was very social...had lots of friends...

um...while we are on the subject of hearsay and speculation...

I think Amanda Plummer seems very aspie-like

A wee long time ago, it was speculated that Sinead O'Connor is an aspie

ButchCoolidge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 1:22 pm

Anemone wrote:
In general, famous people who get there under their own power are unlikely to be autistic, though there may be rare exceptions.

And why is that? I think I know what you're getting at - you don't think there are any people with AS socially gifted enough to play their cards right and to kiss enough ass to make it to the top. What do you mean by those who "get there under their own power"? As opposed to what, taking the magical "instaceleb" pill? Believe it or not, there are some people who get famous because they are actually talented, not because they simply have to slick talking skills and casting couch prowess to talk and sleep their way into stardom, and I see no reason why some of those talented people could not have AS.

velodog
Gold Supporter
Gold Supporter

20 Apr 2008, 3:12 pm

Try Sylvia Plath or Shirley Jackson, they were both geeky writers who acted crazy.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:18 pm

Heather Kuzmich is the only one I can think of.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!