Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

nofun13
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2008, 11:13 am

i dislike getting compliments to do with most things, maybe its cos i dont get them often lol. i feel much more comfortable with criticism, and i self criticise a lot too. when i get a complement i dont know how to take it and often appear rude or ungrateful. its not that, i just dont know how to react =(

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:19 am

Viola wrote:
And has anyone besides me noticed that arrogance and insecurity seem to be proportional to each other? (I'm sure there are exceptions, but there seems to be a fairly strong correlation.)

Oh, I noticed that. With ME, perhaps I would act less arrogant if people let me do what I could, etc... Their excuse USED to be that I was "too young". NOW, it seems they look for a new profit angle, don't want ME to be "the hero", or just their stupid personal pride. I'll never forget when they asked who could program in C, for a new project. I was the ONLY one that could, but they didn't want ME to. Perhaps it was because I worked for another company, etc???

I USED to be altruistic and genorous, and today I am FAR less so. That is just because people have taken advantage of me too much, etc... I am QUICK to teach, and give praise. I am not like one of those guys on TV that is arrogant, keeps everything close to the chest, and is never polite, etc...

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:20 am

I don't take praise well. Someone giving me a compliment feels fake or like a setup to a cruel joke. I feel more comfortable getting criticism or derogatory remarks from people, because that is what I grew up with. I usually try to deflect or ignore a compliment.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:53 am

Compliments used to make me extremely uncomfortable, but I've learned to like them. I just say, "Thank you," and try to make it sound humble in order to be polite, but I don't know what to do beyond that - like if I say "Thank you" and the person keeps complimenting me. What are you supposed to say then? "Yes, I know"?

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:59 am

I like compliments, but it makes me uncomfortable when I don't know how to respond to it.

I mean, of course I smile and say thanks, but I never know quite how much to do it.

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 12:02 pm

It makes me uncomfortable to receive compliments or praise, and annoyed with the giver. I also have a big problem with sincerity - almost nothing seems it.

samantca
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 12:21 pm

Normally when i recieve compliments i tend to insult the giver :? Not to be mean or anything, but i dont say thanks like many others do. If my boyfriend says im pretty for instance, ill respond with something like "moron". Thats nice :P

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:09 pm

Thank you yet again! You guys here are so helpful!

I was having trouble working out Damien's reaction when I give him praise for a job well done or great behaviour.
He goes really like sheepish and shy and give me this very exaggerated aww aww aww and hides behind a teddy most times.
I think it is so cute and kinda funny.
When he gives it out like "oh Mum you did good job vacuming" or "you're a good helper Mum" he sounds so darn serious. Again it sounds really cute coming from a 5 yr old.

He repeats what I have said to praise him or give him a compliment and will quite happily say them altho not at expected or right times.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 5:25 pm

samantca wrote:
Normally when i recieve compliments i tend to insult the giver :? Not to be mean or anything, but i dont say thanks like many others do. If my boyfriend says im pretty for instance, ill respond with something like "moron". Thats nice :P

Maybe you SHOULD be locked up! :evil: That's not nice! :roll:

GlassWall
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2008, 9:30 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
I don't often really accept praise well, but I am ok with it if I feel I really deserve it. If I see no reason, I often become VERY suspicious.

i can't say this is my reaction all the time, but often it is especially if the complement is on my looks.

thegodofhats
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 10:40 pm

Compliments and praise usually hit me like a slap in the face and I become like stunned and suprised, I just pause and say "uh...thanks." especially if it comes at an unexpected time from an unexpected person. Compliments are difficult because (and especially from strangers) I feel pressured to compliment back (which is often difficult)

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:20 pm

thegodofhats wrote:
Compliments and praise usually hit me like a slap in the face and I become like stunned and suprised, I just pause and say "uh...thanks." especially if it comes at an unexpected time from an unexpected person. Compliments are difficult because (and especially from strangers) I feel pressured to compliment back (which is often difficult)

seconded.
Couldn't have said it better.

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 11:28 pm

I don't know how to react to compliments and tend to offend the person trying to pay me one. :?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 12:33 am

I don't take praise that well. I get more fulfillment when I take pride in my own work than when other people compliment me.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 1:24 am

I've always just thought of it as a self-esteem issue with me.

While I try to always do my best, and I know I do some good things, I don't like people's compliments.

I've had awards from different jobs, one given by the mayor of the city I worked for... but I never go to receive them in person... I ditch them all unless I get cornered at work.

What I really hate is when people are trying to make me say something nice about myself.
I just can't do it.
I get extremely uncomfortable.

I like to praise other people though.

Greyhound
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2008, 11:56 am

thegodofhats wrote:
Compliments are difficult because (and especially from strangers) I feel pressured to compliment back (which is often difficult)

I know, especially if it's on your appearance, because then people seem to expect one in return and I don't really give compliments unless I'm particularly motivated to say it. I'm also not all that bothered about people's apparences, especially females (who tend to be the ones who compliment/enjoy being complimented).

Dodgy circuitry! Diagnosed: Tourette syndrome. Suspected: auditory processing disorder, synaesthesia. Also: social and organisation problems. Heteroromantic asexual (though still exploring)