Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 2:59 am

How do you react?
Are you ok with it or do you tend to go shy?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 5:49 am

I don't often really accept praise well, but I am ok with it if I feel I really deserve it. If I see no reason, I often become VERY suspicious.

AlteredEgo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2008, 6:43 am

2ukenkerl wrote:
I don't often really accept praise well, but I am ok with it if I feel I really deserve it. If I see no reason, I often become VERY suspicious.

Me too.
I don't like being told I'm good looking usually either.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 6:55 am

2ukenkerl wrote:

To a T.

Z

nory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2008, 7:09 am

They always say to just say "Thank you" graciously. But that said, I still feel that is too difficult to do. I always just defer it. The best thing to do when someone says something nice to you is to look for something (real) nice to say back.

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 7:17 am

I love getting praise or compliments, however I can't take critisism.. I have gotten better at accepting it though.

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 7:18 am

I love getting it, but get really shy when I do. It's like "Whoa." haha. Each time.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:23 am

All of the above rring true to me. Compliments I tend to shy away from. I don't hate them - funny - I need them sometimes. I simply don't know what to do when one happens. Not logical, actually.

Criticism is hurtful and if entirely undeserved can halt my programme.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Kaleido
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:38 am

I never used to be able to handle praise as a child, there again, it was difficult to have people talking directly to me since I was mute.

Now I just say thank you though this is a skill I have only learned comfortably in the last decade.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 7:44 am

KatieRose212 wrote:
I love getting praise or compliments, however I can't take critisism.. I have gotten better at accepting it though.

The supposed response to criticism by people with AS doesn't make sense to me, and it seems to not fit many on this board. With ME?

1. If it is deserved and major, I react accordingly. It ranges from apologizing to saying "thanks", and deprecating myself. I am usually very apologetic. If I am on a project, I will give a credit, and maybe throw in some extras.
2. If it is deserved and minor, I react accordingly. It ranges from saying thanks to explaining that what I did was correct to a degree.
3. If it is unintentional undeserved, I explain the facts.
4. If it is intentionally undeserved, and expressed as minor by them, I may explain the facts, and laugh it off as a joke.
5. If it is intentionally undeserved, and expressed as major by them, I will NEVER trust them again, consider them to be worthless dreck(I'm trying to search for a word to express my thought, but I am at a loss as to how to express things at that level at the moment.). How I react depends on my options. If I am on a project, I may start billing every PENNY, and do ONLY what they ask.

BTW... By "intentionally undeserved" I mean it is some criticism that I don't deserve, and THEY KNOW IT!

Viola
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2008, 9:46 am

I'm fairly arrogant (shhh! it's a secret), so I like being complimented, especially on my achievements. In order not to seem like a completely stuck up prig, I usually just smile and say thank you. I also sort of bring my head down to my chest and shrug my shoulders, which I intend to communicate to the more body-language aware that I am sort of embarrassed. I've never actually seen myself do this, so it might be very odd looking, but it seems to work okay.

However, if it is about my appearance, I actually get embarrassed for real, especially if a guy says it. (But that doesn't happen that often).

And has anyone besides me noticed that arrogance and insecurity seem to be proportional to each other? (I'm sure there are exceptions, but there seems to be a fairly strong correlation.)

dawndeleon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:07 am

I am not too keen on praise. If its earned, i usually go shy or just sheepishly say thank you. I am just not sure how to take it. I am such a perfectionist with some things, that even if i make something cool, and the rest of the world may say 'hey that's nice' I will see numerous things i want to fix. Goes with singing, artwork, sculpting or anything else. If someone enjoys something i make for them, that is enough for me.

Izaak
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:10 am

I often wonder if it's entirely necassary. As in "why bother telling me that" if it's a compliment.

I.e. if someone comes and says "well done, good job" I think... well... yeah... I know.

If it's a criticism I just try and figure out what they are complaining about and fix it up the next time I might do that task.

if it's about looks or personality... well... if It's a compliment I smile and say "thankyou". If it's a criticism I give them the "People's eyebrow." If it's strong criticism I tell them something like: "You shouldn't venture unsolicited opinions. You only embarrass yourself." And then, don't talk to that person ever again.

demoluca
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:11 am

I usually blush and meep out a quiet "thanks"

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:13 am

I find them uncomfortable. People tend to make a big fuzz about whatever it is I did (usually when its my job to do it in the first place). I mean, its nice to have someone tell you it was done well but when that praise or compliment is done in a way so OTHERS notice what you have done...

very uncomfortable.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 10:44 am

I tend to go shy. :oops: