NT People make fun of me as soon as they see me...?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stimshieme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Apr 2008, 2:57 pm

I'm become obsessed with Anime over the last few months and since January I coloured my hair partially blue. I always feel at home with this and it's made me the happiest in my life...But when others see me they point and laugh and I just don't care. But nowadays it's really getting to me. On the one hand I can dye it back to it's original colour and sacrifice my happiness or leave it and deal with the taunts. People look at me and label me as "eccentric" which is the word I hate. i condsider myself to be as normal as them; sometimes not, and since my full diagnoses of AS during the past 3 weeks I have been feeling uncomfortable and mixedly feeling different as though I am accepting myself and then not accepting myself...

I hate the confusion and anxiety how do I stop this?

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 3:17 pm

It takes patience to accept the diagnosis. It seems like everyone is yelling that we're an epidemic or broken or disabled or SOMETHING that doesn't match what we feel inside. The confusion is trying to resolve this contradiction. The solution is to not accept what other people think you are. Make up your own mind and stick with it. Not easy, but worth the work.

As for the blue hair: cool. I worked with some people at one place who colored their hair pink, red, orange, yellow, green and blue, sometimes all at the same time in a rainbow.

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2008, 3:43 pm

I love blue hair! :D

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 4:05 pm

I know how you feel!

When I first dyed my hair black, blonde and pink (yeah, no kidding) I was walking along the street and some very unkind kids said 'look at that lady, she's a freak.' Of course, they meant my hair, but I couldn't see that at the time (this happened about 2 weeks after my diagnosis)...

I thought they were pointing out about my AS, I thought they KNEW. But they didn't...

It tore me up inside for ages afterwards, and I was wondering why just one kid could make me feel that way.

And it takes a long time to accept a diagnosis, and you will go through periods of -

- Being relieved you got diagnosed
- Wishing you weren't diagnosed and hating the doctor/medical professional who gave you the diagnosis
- Beleiving that you don't have AS after all
- Accepting your diagnosis
- Accepting yourself
- Hating yourself
- Wishing it would all go away, wishing you could be a normal NT person (neurotypical)

So in other words, what I am trying to say is you will feel fine about your life one day, and the next you will hate it. That's what happened with me.

And as for the confusion and anxiety, you can't stop it happening.. you just have to learn to live with it. Hope I helped.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:12 pm

Stimshieme wrote:
I hate the confusion and anxiety how do I stop this?

Completely accepting yourself for who you are. It takes time, that's for sure, but you will get there.

BTW, blue hair are TOO cool ! ! :wink:

SapphoWoman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Apr 2008, 4:14 pm

KatieRose212 wrote:
And it takes a long time to accept a diagnosis, and you will go through periods of -

- Wishing you weren't diagnosed and hating the doctor/medical professional who gave you the diagnosis
- Accepting yourself
- Hating yourself
- Wishing it would all go away, wishing you could be a normal NT person (neurotypical)

OMG! Thank you for saying this. It has been that way for me. One day, I am so RELIEVED and feel like I am free, because of my diagnosis. Then, just the other day, I was thinking... "Wait. These people are treating me like I'm an idiot because I have autism."

I really do hope to totally accept it one day!

KatieRose212
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 4:17 pm

SapphoWoman wrote:
KatieRose212 wrote:

- Accepting yourself
- Hating yourself

OMG! Thank you for saying this. It has been that way for me. One day, I am so RELIEVED and feel like I am free, because of my diagnosis. Then, just the other day, I was thinking... "Wait. These people are treating me like I'm an idiot because I have autism."

I really do hope to totally accept it one day!

You are welcome. I posted that because it's exactly how I felt.. It was an 'emotional rollercoaster' for me after getting diagnosed, about three years ago now, and it's only recently that I have come to accept my diagnosis. It's taken me what, three years, to realise that this diagnosis makes me who I am? And that I really don't want to be normal, because that would be taking away 'me.' (If you get what I mean! :lol: )

zghost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 4:50 pm

You may be taking them wrong. When I see someone with blue (or any other wild color) hair, I think "damn, I wish I was brave enought to do that."
I say embrace your weirdness and wear it with pride. People react more to how you react, if you're thinking "oh no, they think I'm strange" then they probably will. If you act confident and proud, they'll likely just admire you for your indivuality.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 1:31 pm

I don't know where the OP is located, but here in Seattle oddly colored hair is pretty normal. Some parts of town, you'd stick out more with a natural color than with blue or green. It's nice in a way, but it does have the funny side effect that people who really want to be different have to really go overboard. Huge gauged ears, extreme piercings, facial tattoos, those are what you need to really stand out here.

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 12:48 am

Come to my school. Blue hair is normal. You'd fit right in.

Keep your hair the way it is. If you feel threatened by these people then f**k them. Do what you want if it feels right.

sim
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 12:55 am

Embrace it. I didn't know I was being weird by wearing tube socks with sandals until my mom told me. Now I think of all the NT's I offend by doing so, and it makes me smile.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 6:00 am

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
Come to my school. Blue hair is normal. You'd fit right in.

Keep your hair the way it is. If you feel threatened by these people then f**k them. Do what you want if it feels right.
Same with my school :D It's the most accepting school ever, as there are some "normal" kids, and then there are all the awesomely eccentric people too :D

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 9:30 pm

I wear my "eccentric badge" proudly.

Oh, and I'm at a fair conservative college...and I've had purple hair, blue hair, and now pink hair. I have tattoos and I'm in the process of stretching my earlobes. I wouldn't change myself for anyone. I love being me, eccentricities and all.

:D

Vashna
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 May 2008, 2:38 am

I don't know how people feel about post bumping here or if I have broken a rule that I did not know about. I am sorry if I did.

At my school, unfortunately, people always try to fake eccentricity and originality to try and be 'cool' in some manner of the world. It takes all the fun out of being your own person, in my opinion.

deep-techno
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 12:36 am

KatieRose212 wrote:
I was walking along the street and some very unkind kids said 'look at that lady, she's a freak.'

Kids can be so cruel nowadays. :roll:

deathchibi
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2008, 12:38 am

i get teased from people i have never seen before and i do things that others see as eccentric :(