Do you hate people that change to suit a fashion.

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

REM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Apr 2008, 8:54 pm

Thing is i tried to keep up with the latest fashion when I was younger, but no one seemed to care, so I just gave up. Most of what I wear now are just my Nirvana shirts, shirts with funny sayings on them, plain black one's and a pair of cheap jeans.

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 8:59 pm

Social_Fantom wrote:
Yeah, I would rather be "abnormal" then live based on such an idiotic Code. I had just gotten out of calling NT's stupid but now those old feelings are coming back. It's so stupid that they have to be what is considered "cool" in order to feel good about themselves. I am my own person and I feel great about it. My individuality may cause me to die without ever having a girl friend but at least I will live without doing what everyone does.

Maybe not having the need to abide by the mysterious Code of Neurotypicalism may indicate that one is higher up on the evolutionary scale. For me, Hell would be a front row seat at a Prada fashion show (while sitting next to Kathie Lee Gifford).

Rainstorm5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:07 pm

equinn wrote:
wow--what a dull bunch.

I think it's nice when people care about their appearance and dress nicely. Who wants to stare at the same old blue sweater day in and day out. It's an eye sore. It's neat to see people change colors and styles, spice up a bit.

I wish I had $1,000 to go out an dbuy myself some new clothes. I feel better about myself when I'm sporting a new coat or shirt.

Shoes, yes, should be comfortable. All my clothes are comfortable, of course.

I always comment on someone's shirt color or jewelry or when something looks nice--why not? It makes the person feel better, I think, and, again, it's refreshing and positive to those around you when you make an attempt to change your wardrobe or wear something different.

I don't know how women walk in high heels! I can't stand too much perfume, or cologne and I loathe underdressed colleagues in jeans on Friday. I think that's ridiculous and childish. It reminds me of my catholic school days when we got to wear jeans on Friday--I hated it then and now. It just seemed so controlling. The idea is that when you go to work, you should look presentable regardless of what day of the week it is. Allowing workers to wear jeans on fridays emphasizes the whole control aspect of obedient worker. It rubs me the wrong way.

equinn (I'm so much fun--can't you tell)

My idea of a change in fashion is wearing a blue shirt instead of a red one. Yes, I'm dull, but I don't care. I like high heels, though, maybe because I've always walked on my tiptoes. I don't know how you can get away with commenting on other people's clothes these days. At my job, someone can be written up or fired for possible sexual harassment just for telling another coworker they look sensational in that new dress they've got on. (I know a guy who was let go for this. Oddly enough, I think he was an Aspie.) As for Friday Bluejean Day - I live for it. Yes, it's a sign that we are bowing to the gods of corporate conformity, but at least I get to wear something comfortable for 1 day a week.

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:12 pm

I do like to have new clothes, but I don't give a d*mn whether it's "in style" or not. I don't care what people think about what I'm wearing. As long as I like it, that's all that matters. I wear whatever I want.

equinn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:14 pm

Is that weird to comment on someone's clothes? Geeze, I hadn't even thought of that. Now, I will!

I guess I don't like it myself when someone comments on my clothes! You really made me think!

I don't really think you're dull. I don't even know you. I"m sure you're not dull.

I won't rescind on the jean day. 8)

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2008, 9:42 pm

GoatOnFire wrote:
Shadowbound wrote:
I'll stick to what I believe and what makes me who I am. I feel people who constantly drop who they are just to fit in are weak and have no morals so deserver no respect. I say people should find who they are and be themselves. Do you think I'm being harsh, right or just thinking like an Aspie?

Say there was a load of Chav scum where I live I would not drop all my morls and become a complete butt head just to fit in. I've been myself though out my life even when I was at school when just being yourself and not altering to fit in can be it's hardest.

So you judge people based on the way they dress? A person can't be who they are and has no morals if they dress like someone else?

That's hard for me to comprehend because I don't think clothes are a very big deal.

I'm not judging people on how they dress. I'm talking about people that let it control their lives. Its the whole today I'll be Goth then several weeks later they an Emo, next thing they are a Chav for example and alot of these people don't just alter the way they look they try and alter themselves as a person to go with these different fashions.

How someone dresses itself doesn't bother me it's the whole trying to be something they're not is what I don't understand. It's good to try new things in an exploration to find yourself but being a weak slave to fashion seems pathetic too me.

Odin
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2008, 9:59 pm

People obsessing over "fashion", as well as all crass consumerism in general, disgusts me. Wasting hundreds of dollars for a designer label put on clothes, shoes, and purses made in a sweatshop in China when there are clothes just as good or even better that are a LOT cheaper doesn't make you "cool," it makes you a MORON. I view everyone who feels jealous because they don't have the latest Calvin Klein dresses and Gucci shoes with utter contempt.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

20 Apr 2008, 11:17 pm

I don't hate people who change to fit in. A lot of people do that so if I hate people who do that, I may as well hate the world.

Hating people who try to fit in, in my opinion, is just as bad as hating those who are different or in some other way, rebel from the norm of things. It's just as petty, just as pointless and just as shallow minded.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Apr 2008, 11:57 pm

Maybe hate is a little strong a word for all cases for some people I just pity them.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 1:11 am

Shadowbound wrote:
I'm not judging people on how they dress. I'm talking about people that let it control their lives. Its the whole today I'll be Goth then several weeks later they an Emo, next thing they are a Chav for example and alot of these people don't just alter the way they look they try and alter themselves as a person to go with these different fashions.

How can you tell that they are letting it control their lives? If they enjoy it does it really matter? That still sounds like a judgment to me. If they want to dress and act like their friends that's their prerogative in my opinion. This just seems so, trivial...

Shadowbound wrote:
How someone dresses itself doesn't bother me it's the whole trying to be something they're not is what I don't understand. It's good to try new things in an exploration to find yourself but being a weak slave to fashion seems pathetic too me.

Trying to be something they're not? Weak slave to fashion? Those aren't judgments?

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 1:29 am

society wants to always look *new*. People want to be the first to wear a new style and show it off. It's like a new song that comes out. Everybody plays it all the time when itt first comes out, u can hear all ova the radio,clubs, etc... But as time goes by it gets played out and another song takes over. That's the same thing with fashion

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 1:40 am

Society sucks.

Shadowbound
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Apr 2008, 2:21 am

Do you really think all of them do it because they enjoy it. I'm sure many do it out of fear that they'll be bullied and so on if they don't do has everyone else does. I say Screw what everyone else thinks if they don't like you for who you are. If someone wants to follow fashion it should be because they want to and not because they feel they have too.

ssenkrad
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Apr 2008, 3:02 am

equinn, I like the way you think. A wise man once said "the clothes make the man." I definitely feel more confident when I'm dressed well. You only live once. Spend some money on the trends you like, and enjoy them while they last.

howzat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2008, 8:28 am

Shadowbound wrote:
I'll stick to what I believe and what makes me who I am. I feel people who constantly drop who they are just to fit in are weak and have no morals so deserver no respect. I say people should find who they are and be themselves. Do you think I'm being harsh, right or just thinking like an Aspie?

Say there was a load of Chav scum where I live I would not drop all my morls and become a complete butt head just to fit in. I've been myself though out my life even when I was at school when just being yourself and not altering to fit in can be it's hardest.

I agree with you.

Betzalel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Apr 2008, 9:07 am

Most of the fashion I like is out of date. I pretty much have my own style and wear anything I find that catches my eye and is very practical. for example since about 2003 or 2004 Ive been wearing this wonderful Soviet mink hat in the winter time. its
from around WWII. I consider it beautiful and its very warm and comfortable. I also wear a British Enlisted man's unmounted overcoat (Pattern 1953 which is WWII - early Korean war era) in the winter. I really love the way this military wool coat looks. its over 5 pounds of heavy wool and is incredibly warm when worn over a light jacket as a liner and has a feature I like in all clothing huge pockets that you can fit full sized books and other large items into to carry with you.

I have a picture of me dressed this way in the mmebers only forum you can find it here:
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1281744.html#1281744

I really prefer to wear/use things that are practical and have at least some element to them that is somehow anachronistic

I don't dress in all period clothing or anything like that unless I happen to be at an SCA event or something but even so most of my clothing is out of date somehow I dress pretty much like someone would dress in the 80s or 90s most days.