Supporting Member

02 May 2008, 7:46 pm

oscuria wrote:
hartzofspace wrote:
oscuria wrote:
It's a wonder drug!

You mean, It's a wonder supplement! :) :nerdy:

shh... :afro: :afro:

Yes, we had better hush up, or BIG PHARMA will come after us with elephant guns. :twisted:

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2008, 10:54 pm

The definition of a syndrome is a collection of seemingly disparate symptoms found together in similar patients.

Two people can have very similar symptoms, but completely different disorders. "I coughed. I sneezed. I had a fever." Pneumonia? Allergies? A cold? Something worse?
Asperger's and schizophrenia have many similar "symptoms", but it's the *differences* that count.

My brother-in-law is schizophrenic. Superficially, we have some traits in common: "geeky" interests and social ineptitude, for example. But it's the differences: he finds it very difficult to approach people. I'll go up to people and tell them my life story. He struggles with articulating the most simple thought. I am highly articulate, but (again) I ramble. I'm not *afraid* of social situations; I just don't know what to do when I'm in them, but he's afraid of even coming out of his parents' basement to say hello to relatives.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2008, 1:40 pm

Article Autism Spectrum Disorders and Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders in Adults - Is There a Connection? A Literature Review and Some Suggestions for Future Clinical Research:

http://www.clinicalneuropsychiatry.org/ ... lander.pdf

On page 8 the authors write:

Quote:

The schizophrenia spectrum and the autism spectrum seem to have borders that merge, and also borders that merge with normality. Major characteristics for schizotypy (i.e. negative symptoms and cognitive defects) are close to the autistic spectrum.

Autism was one of the symptoms of schizophrenia as defined by Bleuler in the early 20th century.