Innocent people being accused of trolls

Page 6 of 8 [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

GuyTypingOnComputer
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2009, 1:15 pm

Anemone, thanks for the link. It contains great advice.

My 2 cents ...

I'm sure I am not alone on this, but when I read a post that attacks another person I learn a lot about the "writer/attacker," and nothing about the recipient of the attack. The writer/attacker may be making valid points, but they don't come through to me when packaged in vitriol. I base my judgment of everyone in the WP community on their own posts and try to give them the benefit of the doubt regarding their intentions recognizing that the nature of this medium means some posts may not articulate or express the writer's thoughts as precisley as they would like.

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 1:15 pm

Glad you like it.

23 Mar 2009, 1:38 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
Quote:
Oh, OK. That one. That was a response to a post that was genuine, but it was due to anger on my part about that particular behavior related to her post. I don't think it's okay to go into details here. But I was obviously angry, not just having an objective comment. So I agree that comment was wrong. But on the other hand, if someone stops in on a bullying thread, which she did, and volunteers to join in, which she did, a person volunteers to become part of the bullying instead of just an innocent bystander. People who jump into a fight voluntarily, when someone is being attacked, can expect to be associated with the bullying in the target's mind. I would never recommend that anyone wander into a bullying thread and throw a few shots unless that person wants to be remembered by the victim as being part of that ugly scene by choice.

I'm sure you felt better when you got back at me. All I did was pointed things out to you, I don't see how that is bullying.

I didn't do it to "get back" at you. I really felt my comment was relevant, but my judgment was mistaken by resentment.

It's bullying when you jump into what is obviously a bullying situation and watch or chat, and then criticize the victim when she responds. It's no different than if you stand there while some AS kid is getting kicked around at school and then when the kid tries to hit back, you stand there and say the kid is being violent.

The fact that you wanted to flirt with an attacker was a personal motive on your part, not hostility toward me. But by involving yourself in a bullying situation to bond with him you of course chose to associate yourself with the bullying and the bully. Your attempts to flirt with him naturally made you want to pick sides, because that is the social psychology of group bonding. That is why you felt like you had to criticize me when I was trying to defend myself.

I didn't "attack" you. I just pointed out what I thought was hypocritical commenting behavior on your part. But again, I shouldn't have done it. I thought my comment was relevant but my judgment was clouded.

Asking someone if they work graveyard and how do they even sleep is not flirting. He said he went to school full time and worked nights.

I didn't even think he attacked you, I saw you attacking him and stayed out of it until I thought you were being hypercritical so I pointed it out to you and you explained your side. How is that wrong?

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 2:31 pm

I get called a troll on a lot of forums, and I can't figure out why.

Uranus
Toucan
Toucan

23 Mar 2009, 5:26 pm

Not all trolls are bad, this one is called Windy...

Windy's in the nip! :lol:

23 Mar 2009, 6:04 pm

"Medium size the green hair troll."

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 6:42 pm

ephemerella wrote:
Accusing someone of being a troll immediately objectifies and dehumanizes them. People even use the label "it" to refer to him or her.

IN that way, "troll hunting" is a bullying behavior.

I don't think that troll hunting is necessarily a bullying behavior, but I think that if it's allowed to go to an extreme, it can be quite abusive and very much bullying behavior... kind of like vigilante justice and militias going overkill.

One just has to be very careful in troll hunting, as it is a double-edged sword that could possibly be swung indiscriminately.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:23 am

Anemone wrote:
Ephemerella, I don't know if you're still here or not, but for you and anyone else who feels misunderstood or attacked, I have this to offer:

I am a member of an online writer's group. We critique each others' writing, and we have guidelines on how to do it effectively. Bottom line: if we want people to be receptive to what we have to say, it helps to be diplomatic about it. There are three articles (2nd to 4th links on left side) you can get to from this page:

tips on being diplomatic

It's not about being right or wrong, it's about making it more likely that people will listen rather than get their backs up. The one time I screwed up and got really upset by something in a story, the author got all defensive and didn't listen. So I lost a chance to get a point across.

I have sometimes found Ephemerella's posts to be confusing, because she comes out all harsh and judgemental, sounding like she's saying one thing, then later she says she meant something else. I'm not sure what to think. (Though I do think that if you're going to criticize another poster, the least you could do is follow the link from the name to find out if the person is male or female.)

How about this rule of thumb?: If people are attacking you, it is possible that they misunderstood. How you say something matters.

Anemone, I'm just checking in to respond to this thread. Thank you for these tips.

I have main 2 problems with my posting, and you've hit on one of them. I'm not diplomatic at all and have never really learned that art. Thanks for the link!

The other problem I have with my posting is I get very negative when I think people are playing games, and that is judgmental.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 5:25 am

cosmiccat wrote:
CanyonWind wrote:
KingdomOfRats, I always find your thoughts interesting. I don't have any problem at all understanding what you're saying, and I've seen enough of your posts to know that you don't go around saying hurtful things to people.

I'm sure a lot of people here agree with me about this.

I agree with CanyondWind. I always enjoy reading KOR's posts, they are never offensive and I find that I also learn something new from them most of the time.

So if you think someone's a great guy, they're automatically right when they go on the attack and post a lot of false smears about a member their friends don't like?

To the posters who are voicing support of KOR because you think he's such a sweet autie, all you're doing is saying "If I like a guy I'll back up his slandering another member".

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:06 am

Bias or not. Look at all the posts. Anyone can see Ephemerella made one comment, and then she got internet jumped. All I see her do is defend herself. I understand the concept of diplomatic negotiations, but when I'm jumped in the real world, there is nothing diplomatic on self defense.

That would be like the time my friend got jumped by some, we assume, drug addicts. She pulled into a parking spot where people were standing next to it, and one claimed she hit them with her car when she was at least 3 feet from them. So they all jumped her. Wrong girl to jump. She took on two with no problem, but the other two were getting difficult. But she knows a lot of people and a friend walked by and jumped in on her behalf. They beat the living crap of the attackers. That would be like the drug addicted attackers (who probably did this after the fact) turning around and saying, "but we are the victims from her psychotic behavior."

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 8:22 am

I checked out those links, and I try to do all those things and people still take it wrong sometimes. Not so often here as much as when I critique. Some writers just freak out over anything outside of a perfect piece no revisions needed. Like one guy wrote a poem that I had a hard time figuring what he meant. He had a very confusing subject verb choice going on. Since it was about Christ's crucifixion, the way he had it written was mocking Christ, but his intentions were Christian. I didn't know that at first. At first, I thought he was a devil worshipper. Then, in the authors note, I finally figured out he was Christian, so I re-read his poem about 30 times before I could find out where exactly he sounded evil and what he might have been trying to say. So when I said the critique, I said that I found great confusion in this line, quote line, and that it might be better to re-word it somethign more like and made some suggestions. I also said his author''s note would look lovely in the piece because it was very well written. I told him he was a great writer from the other poems I read by him as well. Either way, he ended up arguing with me about whether or not I should have understood what he said. Even when I said things like "Don't go by my word on it. Maybe I'm just being stupid and missing the point. If you get more critiques like this, then maybe consider changing it, but you shouldn't do so on my account alone." He still argued wtih me like I was attacking him. Finally I just stopped responding to his arguments. Now I don't want to critique any more of his poems if they aren't perfect poems.

I will say I kinda broke a rule once and didn't get argument. I read one poem which wasn't a great poem. But the author notes said that the guy writes songs. As a song, it was well written. So I put, if you mean this as a song, this is my critique.

Either way, there is nothing more frustrating than people not getting your point. It's not about getting everyone to agree with you as much as just getting them to understand what you are trying to say rather than what they feel like you are saying for their convenience. Personally, I get negative out of my frustrations in many of those cases.

You know what I bet would help is to really incorporate all the writing concepts even in things as informal as a forum. Think of the main point, the beginning, middle end. Think paragraph form. And consider the audience.

One of my biggest problems also is when I try to say something that is fact, people will think I'm stating my opinion.

But even in this post, you see me jumping around from thought to thought. I write as I think. That sometimes works out well, but how can I confirm my method will communicate what I'm saying and received properly more often than not? Maybe if I learned to organize information better in my head for purposes on this forum, I would not only reduce my monologues, but also maybe communicate more effectively in the real world.

So I'm on my clutter diet, for the house and my mind. What an interesting philosophy for the year. Glad I wasn't so hell bound on my New Year resolutions because this clutter diet idea is a great one. I know I should of started with this post, but like any diet I do, I always start with, next one I'll start.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:05 am

I think i got called a troll once by someone who had not been on the board for more than a few posts, and now I think they no longer post at all.

I wonder if they were a troll.

That would be an interesting way to troll...hop on a board and start calling other people trolls.

I have not read most of the rest of this thread..

Sorry if this has already been covered...

Anemone
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:19 am

ephemerella wrote:
To the posters who are voicing support of KOR because you think he's such a sweet autie, all you're doing is saying "If I like a guy I'll back up his slandering another member".

She is a sweetie.

It's easier to put someone's posts in perspective when you've seen a lot of that person's posts. I've seen this on another thread with other people, where a reasonable person made what seemed to me like a reasonable remark, and a newer member took it the wrong way and hit the roof. If the newer member had been around longer and read more of this person's posts she probably would have taken the remarks differently.

We're just telling you not to overreact to KoR's comments, since she doesn't tend to slander people. If anything she tends to be very nice.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:32 am

oops..I checked and they are still on the board, and they are not a troll..they just reacted really weirdly to what I said for some reason.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:35 am

poopylungstuffing wrote:
oops..I checked and they are still on the board, and they are not a troll..they just reacted really weirdly to what I said for some reason.

:lol: Sounds like something I would do, write a post and then correct myself.

I'd be :lmao: if you told me I was the person you were talking about. Then apologizing of course.

Tantybi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 11:43 am

Anemone wrote:
ephemerella wrote:

She is a sweetie.

It's easier to put someone's posts in perspective when you've seen a lot of that person's posts. I've seen this on another thread with other people, where a reasonable person made what seemed to me like a reasonable remark, and a newer member took it the wrong way and hit the roof. If the newer member had been around longer and read more of this person's posts she probably would have taken the remarks differently.

We're just telling you not to overreact to KoR's comments, since she doesn't tend to slander people. If anything she tends to be very nice.

See, I've seen a lot of ephemerella's posts. I've seen some KOR's posts, but I don't always understand them. Ephemerella talks the way I think, so her's are easier for me to understand. Either way, I see what you are saying because I don't get how people seem to misunderstand ephemerella, probably the same way you don't see how we misunderstand KOR.

I personally don't think ephemerella attacks people verbally. Sometimes, I'm like, that was kinda harsh, but it needed to be said. Other than that, I don't see why people portray her the way they do.

But I realized she does something a lot that I do. Talks with a bunch of "you's." Sometimes, I see her do what I do. Switch from talking directly to you, the person I'm responding to, to talking in 2nd perspective where it's not to you but can easily be replaced with I, one, anyone, a man, etc. I really think that's how people misunderstand both of us in many cases. I've been really trying to remove the word "you" from my vocabulary (with exceptions like telling my kids I love them of course).