Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

gitchel
Raven
Raven

24 Apr 2008, 8:56 pm

Here is our second article in the "How to... for Aspies" series. It's called "How to Fuel the Car"

For those overwhelmed by the complexity of the modern filling station.

[email protected]
http://perseveration.org
Twitter: Gitchel

nihil de nobis sine nobis

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2008, 3:42 pm

I live in Florida, so I have been pumping gas for many years. Once you get the hang of it, it's actually easy ( the pumping, not the paying). I do know that some states do not let you pump your own gas, though, and this means you must interact with an attendant.
A few years ago I went to New Jersey and I had to buy gas. I pulled in to the station and waited for the man to finish with the other vehicle. He then filled my tank. I did not know what to do then since I had no experience with this before. Was I supposed to tip him like a waitress? Would he get upset if I asked him to wash my windshield or could I do that part myself? Ugh.
I like pumping my own gas much better--- less people to deal with and I can pump the gas and leave instead of waiting for an attendant.

Brandon-J
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 4:41 am

Well I don't have any problems with getting gas. But for those that might have anxiety doing so here's a tip. If you don't have a bank account get one. Most gas stations have a card swipe on it so just use your debit card and you can fuel your car and don't even have to go inside the store or talk to anybody.

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2008, 8:43 am

Brandon-J wrote:
Well I don't have any problems with getting gas. But for those that might have anxiety doing so here's a tip. If you don't have a bank account get one. Most gas stations have a card swipe on it so just use your debit card and you can fuel your car and don't even have to go inside the store or talk to anybody.

That is definitely the way to go--- just make sure you always have some $$$ on the card. I like to get my gas and go--- I don't want to talk to somebody. One time, recently, however, I did comment on the rising prices of the gas to the person at the pump beside me. Everyone there was frowning. I was, too. It was getting too expensive. It is getting worse.

Rich_P
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2008, 6:33 pm

In the UK there has been a rapid uprising of card scams (i.e. people taking card details and using them) by the use of cards at fueling stations. I don't think you'll need to guess who the type of people are that generally do this, nor where the money eventually goes (hint, it's hot and dry and very sandy) :roll: .

I can't say that I have ever had any trouble doing tasks like filling up. In fact, having someone fill up my vehicle for me is quite a nice change. :wink: