Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2008, 9:00 pm

Does anyone else find that where you live makes a difference in how well you can get by as an aspie socially?

I'm planning on moving away from Northwest Arkansas, mainly because it's much easier to find employment in Las Vegas as a teacher where they're very in demand, but also because they're more tolerant of people who are different, especially if you tend to come off more as a tweedy intellectual than the kind to yell pig sooiee at a ball game.

-Frank

twallcx
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2008, 12:34 am

frankcritic wrote:
Does anyone else find that where you live makes a difference in how well you can get by as an aspie socially?

I'm planning on moving away from Northwest Arkansas, mainly because it's much easier to find employment in Las Vegas as a teacher where they're very in demand, but also because they're more tolerant of people who are different, especially if you tend to come off more as a tweedy intellectual than the kind to yell pig sooiee at a ball game.

-Frank

Yes, i find it quite easy here in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area

Social_Fantom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 12:40 am

twallcx wrote:
Yes, i find it quite easy here in California, especially in the San Francisco Bay Area

I guess being on the opposite coast, Dobson, NC is the opposite in this matter as well. It totally sucks being an spie here. Everyone here seems to think I'm a freak because I'm "different." Oh well, their opinion of me means nothing to me. 8)

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2008, 9:23 am

Ah, I'm not too familiar with North Carolina, other than the increased awareness we've all got now because of the controversy with the GOP's political ad and reading about University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill back when I was PhD bound.

As to California, the west, particularly the southwest, seems to have a tradition of individualism dating back to the cowboy that makes people out there more willing to be accepting of difference.

-Frank

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 9:45 am

I lived in Texas my entire life. I lived in Houston until I was 27, then moved to Wichita Falls (halfway between Dallas and Lubbock), and now I am preparing to move to San Marcos (near Austin).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

pinkbowtiepumps
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2008, 1:51 pm

I go to an art school in a city. Everyone is weird - a lot of my friends have blue, purple or pink hair! We all have some sort of quirky talent or bizarre interest so it really doesn't make a difference here. They're aware of my differences but it hasn't kept me from making friends. I don't have very many close friends here, but it's still really nice.

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2008, 2:00 pm

Well, having a lot of close friends isn't precisely my goal. Largely, I'm too distrustful of others anymore for that to work. My goal for wherever I live is to simply be allowed to be a bitter old hermit in peace in my personal life and have coworkers tolerant enough of me that, presuming I make all effort to not irritate them including making myself scarce, will not complain and get me fired. I've got a computer and the friends I made in college to keep my personal life on some sort of minimal life support. Other than this, I don't ask much from the world.

-Frank

kaytie
Toucan
Toucan

29 Apr 2008, 7:17 am

i am in a social nightmare because people here find socializing a past time and they like to meddle into other people's business so aside from the fact i feel like a freak their questioning looks makes me even feel weirder, interacting is horrible

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 8:45 am

I live in a subarban town near the city of Indianapolis. It's great here! I've also lived in Houston (great place), Indianapolis (it depends where you're at there), and a small town, which I absolutely abhored. I love living in my subarb town though!

frankcritic
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 9:05 am

Ah, well anybody familiar with living in Vegas then? I'll probably move there to teach in about a year.

-Frank

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2008, 9:15 am

Northern Florida. Anywhere in the Confederacy seems pretty good. Keeping conversation geared to what the listener is doing works if you're an Aspie chatting with a redneck. For example: Working on a vehicle, fishing (don't make too much noise), cleaning a firearm, after church, etc.

kid020
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2008, 9:17 am

in general the northeast new york/newjersey ard new england and parts of the west coast such as california and seattle are the best areas to live for people with asperger's.

Trugen
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2008, 2:49 pm

(Ocean Pines) Berlin, Maryland
(near Ocean City, Maryland)

Omni: Temp
Face of Madness: Myself :twisted:

VioletClementine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2008, 3:17 pm

pinkbowtiepumps wrote:
I go to an art school in a city. Everyone is weird - a lot of my friends have blue, purple or pink hair! We all have some sort of quirky talent or bizarre interest so it really doesn't make a difference here. They're aware of my differences but it hasn't kept me from making friends. I don't have very many close friends here, but it's still really nice.

Hm. Art school in a city in New England. :) I have probably heard of your school, if not applied to it a few years ago [I applied to about 15 art colleges as a Studio Art major before switching to writing].

I'm from Massachusetts, about 25 miles outside of Boston, but go to college in Rhode Island. I've found that New England seems to be a good place for Aspies. The people I know are all quirky in their own rights, and I love them. :lol: