Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

platypus1000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2008, 5:08 am

My son has to get a shot(s) before starting middle school and I am worried because I know he is going to freak out. I always prepare him for what is about to happen but in this case I'm afraid it would cause him more anxiety and he wouldn't even get in the car etc. but to not say anythings till he's in the dr.'s office seems cruel to just spring it on him. I'm afraid what it's going to come down to is my husband having to just hold him down while my son is screaming and crying and the whole thing being very traumatic. Any advice?

ster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 5:47 am

i take it he's had bad experiences with shots before ?

if that's the case, and you don't think you'll even get him in the car, then i wouldn't tell him......i would however, make sure he knows he's going to the drs, make sure that the dr knows about son's apprehension, and make sure you have someone there to help keep son calm

schleppenheimer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 5:48 am

He sounds like he has lots of anxiety about this, so I don't know if what I did would work.

Before my 11 year old son had to go in for shots, I told him about it far in advance. I then pointed out that shot's are only going to hurt very briefly, and they would feel like this -- and then I would pinch him -- and then it's over. I also advised that he look away when the shot happened.

He had some anxiety as well, but it turned into a positive experience, because he realized it wasn't as bad as he had made it out to be, AND he has matured some and can tolerate a shot much better now than when he was little.

Kris

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2008, 6:46 am

Don't even get me started on shots. I'm still afraid of needles and blood. It's so bad, that I have to hold my Sid doll, in the opposite hand of the side that the shot, (or blood test) is taking place.

platypus1000
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2008, 7:42 am

anything unknown to him is frightening. He freaked out when getting blood drawn, having throat swabbed, getting spacers taken off teeth. his sensory system is so sensitive, he reacts to pain very dramatically and intensely (or what he perceives will be painful). I guess I will call the doctor's office and just explain the situation. I have had experiences where the "proessional" was not very understanding but that's a whole other post :D . thanks everyone!!

jat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2008, 8:35 am

My policy, when going to the doctor's office, is that "I never know" whether there's going to be a shot. That's up to the doctor. Truth is, I sometimes know there is, but I never know there isn't - the way things are, there are sometimes surprises. So I just tell them it's there annual check up (or whatever), and if they ask if there's going to be a shot, I say I don't know, that's up to the doctor. As my kids got older, they did start to understand the risk-benefit issue, so the negative of the shot was tolerated better because they understood the serious ramifications possible in not getting it. Also, when they get shots, they always get a treat afterwards - ice cream or candy or something. When they get more than one shot, the treat can be a bigger one. Sometimes bribery is warranted! I consider it a reward/consolation for dealing with a tough experience. It really helped!

Aranittara
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2008, 3:40 pm

I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but I have shots every days and 2-3 minute long blood tests without any numbing creme every 3 months
In fact I've been giving myself the shots for the past year it just takes some getting used to

Lainie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2008, 3:47 pm

My son is the same way with Needles. He gets extremely anxious with just the thought of one.

I know that you can call your ped and have him/her write up a prescription for some numbing cream to put on before hand to help with the experience. Your son might be relieved to know there's something that can help him and he might just feel a bit more in control using the cream.

There's also a patch available to put on like 20 min before the shot. That might work better.

Good luck

Lainie

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Apr 2008, 8:33 pm

Is it possible for you to get an exemption for it? (I'm assuming it's a vaccination. I will not debate the topic because I assume that you have made your choice for your family and that's it.)

If an exemption isn't an option, what we do for our 8 yr old (Asperger's) before dental work is give him homeopathic remedies and flower essences. He takes Rescue Remedy (a few drops in a little bit of water - it's a flower essence) and he takes hypericum (homeopathic for nerve damage) and aconite (homeopathic remedy for shock).

I know some ppl think it's nutty or whatever, but that's what works for our family. Just thought I'd pass it on.

craola
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2008, 9:29 am

Aww poor thing, I was going to recommend Rescue Remedy as well, it can be really good.

My brother (NT) went to have a vaccination when he was 2 and my dad got him all calm and ready saying its just a tiny prick in the arm, and then she stuck it into his bottom, the poor thing screamed and screamed, he's 16 now and is still scared of needles.

A special treat is always the best way to go I think.
Im 20 and it still works, its how my mum gets me into the dentist.

megparker
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2008, 11:43 pm

WHen Adam needs shots, I make sure to bring the ipod. It's a great way to engage his senses - he'll watch his current obsession (homestarrunner) and I promise lots of treats etc. afterwards. I know not everyone has an ipod, but maybe there is something similar with earphones, or maybe you can borrow from someone? Even a portable DVD player or laptop?

This is what works for us, anyway. :-)

Justthatgirl11
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 May 2008, 11:45 pm

megparker wrote:
WHen Adam needs shots, I make sure to bring the ipod. It's a great way to engage his senses - he'll watch his current obsession (homestarrunner) and I promise lots of treats etc. afterwards. I know not everyone has an ipod, but maybe there is something similar with earphones, or maybe you can borrow from someone? Even a portable DVD player or laptop?

This is what works for us, anyway. :-)

Max has a Sansa mp3 player. It definitely helps. My husband found it for about $30. online during some deal that the online store was running. (Normally a $90. player.)