Read this theory about autism and post your comments please!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

_BRI_
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 May 2008, 5:36 pm

http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

This is the neanderthal theory of autism, have a look It's very interesting.

Have a nice day you guys.

ClosetAspy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2008, 6:12 pm

It's an intriguing possiblity . . . I also refer you to Richard Nisbett's "The Geography of Thought". He doesn't say anything about autism or Neanderthals, but his analysis of the differences between Western and Asian ways of thinking makes even more sense if you figure in that connection.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2008, 6:28 pm

I think it is worth looking at...I certainly do like caves, collecting rocks and plants. Seems like some of my sensitivity would make living in nature(lots of abrasions) more difficult but I guess I could have used sandstone rocks to file the rough spots off my feet or maybe would have become desensitized with constant exposure.

I'm still a fan of some sort of "alien genetic intervention" but that's mostly because I find Spock so attractive.

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

tailfins1959
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2008, 6:41 pm

_BRI_ wrote:
http://www.rdos.net/eng/asperger.htm

This is the neanderthal theory of autism, have a look It's very interesting.

Have a nice day you guys.

It puts me in the mind of Sen. Debbie Stabenow (D-MI). In my case, I'm too good to have come from a monkey.

I've still got a pair
Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

shopaholic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:14 pm

My theory is that we are just a different type of human, c.f. worker bees & drones.

Humanity needs both types to get ahead - the aspies to come up with new theories & discoveries, attend to detail etc & the neurotypicals to create the social fabric of society and reproduce the species.

Confused-Fish
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 1:16 pm

yeah, ive read that theory, its a shame that there isn't any evidence to support any of it. if it was true we'd know by now because it would show up in our blood as scientists have successfully mapped Neanderthal dna

it was still an interesting read though, highly imaginative to say the least :P

Daewoodrow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2008, 1:23 pm

I've read this article before, sorry to say it's not science. Pure speculation.

Glencannon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2008, 5:29 pm

From what I have read there is no genetic connection between modern humans and Neanderthals.

http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/0 ... thal.shtml

NOBS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2008, 6:15 pm

Hi All;

This is way freaking interesting!! !! !! I need to spend some time looking at it more carefully, but thus far I've noticed these traits:

Norwegian ancestery
Hazel eyes
Red hair gene (my hair is brown but my body hair and beard are reddish,... well, now getting grey)
O- blood type
Abnormal affinity for dairy
Love of salt
Like of cold weather (I now live in Alaska, and LOVE it)
Seasonal Affective "Disorder" (I thought it was natural to adapt to the seasons; EG sleep more in the winter, and put on weight in the fall)
A few others that don't come to mind this moment.

This also clarifies why it's still called the "THEORY" of evolution versus the "LAW" of the jungle.

Regards,

This also somewhat clarifies

MysteryFan3
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 8:10 pm

It echoes something I've wondered about for a few months. It's a step in the right direction.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 9:45 pm

If that were accurate, then there wouldn't be anyone autistic among those who couldn't possibly be descended from Neanderthals. And there are. So... probably not.

nomnom_hamster
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2008, 9:55 pm

NOBS wrote:
Hi All;

This is way freaking interesting!! !! !! I need to spend some time looking at it more carefully, but thus far I've noticed these traits:

Norwegian ancestery
Hazel eyes
Red hair gene (my hair is brown but my body hair and beard are reddish,... well, now getting grey)
O- blood type
Love of salt
Seasonal Affective "Disorder" (I thought it was natural to adapt to the seasons; EG sleep more in the winter, and put on weight in the fall)

This also clarifies why it's still called the "THEORY" of evolution versus the "LAW" of the jungle.

Regards,

You should read the book "eating right for your type" talks about how certain foods are better for people with different bloodtypes...(a kind of diet)
example: says blood type o's would be better off eating a "foraging" diet like meats, maybe veggies etc and if your that blood type eating that diet, you're less likely to become overweight.

Another bloodtype would be better off eating pastas and stuff, or farmed/processed products (processed in this sense meaning what our ancestors would have done with grinding grain and stuff).

The theory is that certain blood types developed at certain points in history. Blood type o (and I remember cause thats my blood type) would have developed during the foraging part of human history, another would have developed after farms were invented, etc.
Something about how the bloodtype affects body types and metabolisms. It's been awhile since I read it.

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:16 pm

NOBS wrote:
Hi All;

Norwegian ancestery
Hazel eyes
O- blood type
Love of salt

Regards,

sound familiar, I also have alot of those traits

Danish and northern European with 50% native ancestry
Hazel eyes
Red hair gene (my hair is brown but my body hair and beard are reddish
O- blood type
Love cold weather, -50 and I am ice fishing or bbqing
Seasonal Affective Disorder, I am very lethargic in the winter
Dislike of modern life, more at home outside in the woods
I am also very stocky and well muscled, without having to work out

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2008, 10:43 pm

I doubt it. Here is a University of Chicago study that essentially claims that whites are smarter than blacks because we inherited a "special brain gene" from the Neanderthals. Some people are fond of speculating on such Neanderthal theories, but I would be hesitant to lend credence to any of them.

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 May 2008, 10:42 am

Speculation piled upon conjecture in a tottering tower of unreality.

According to the Neanderthal theory:

Quote:

The Neanderthal group bonding likely looked strikingly similar to bonobos[...] Neanderthals must have been a female dominated species.

There is no actual evidence of the sex lives and gender relationships of the Neanderthals.

Some hundred of thousands of years in the future, and from an Earth which is rapidly becoming uninhabitable, human beings are leaving in a vast number of star ships which travel through space several times faster than the speed of light. One star ship of several hundred people, male and female, falls into a space-time vortex and is tossed uncontrollably through time and space, until it crash lands in what is now Spain some 30,000 years ago.

The passengers and crew on the star ship meet up with the local Neanderthals and have lots and lots of sex with them. The babies born of all that coupling are a hybrid of Homo Sapiens and Neanderthals. Because some of the star ship people are autistic then some of the offspring are also autistic.

That is my imaginary story of the origins of autism.

NUTLOG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2008, 11:22 am

Well, I'm certainly "crude, boorish and slow-witted" as described in one dictionary definition of neanderthal, so there is hope for this theory yet! Unfortunately I myself can't read through the theory posted because it spans more than two paragraphs and thus exceeds my attention span, so I bid you farewell for I must journey to the sacred refrigerator of frozen freeziness to obtain frozen dairy treats galore! Groove on muthas, peace. :bigsmurf: :smurfin: Oh my f**king god, smurfs! How cool is that? Holy sh*t, I feel like I've unlocked all the secrets of the universe. What a discovery! :smurf: :smurfin: :brilsmurf: :bigsmurf: So they're not extinct after all!?